• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AG Opinion on Loaded in Car with no CHP and also Secure Container

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I've had a hard time trying to understand the need for this change. Can you give some examples of how this law makes a difference compared to before it goes into effect?

It seems to me that anyone who is going to bring a gun to a class is going to either carry it in a holster (openly) or put it in a case, which is a secured container.

Am I missing something?

TFred

If they can get it into their car without being caught, and then from the car to the class without being caught, they are good to go. Same in reverse after the class. But carrying it in any sort of container when it is not in the car* would be carrying concealed without a permit. Thus the need for the Reynolds Exemption.

(There, Jim, the first reference to it by name!)

stay safe.

* Many folks who are bringing their handgun to a CHP class carry it in the manufacturer's hardside case it came in when they picked it up. They break the law carrying it outside to take it home from wherever they bought it, and then from the car into the house.

Exactly.

I have students who will bring a gun to class in the manufacturer's box, or in their purse, or in their lunch cooler bag, or in their coat pocket (all real examples that I have seen). They get to the class location, like Bass Pro Shops for example. Once they leave the car, they are in violation...walking around the store on a break, shopping in the store after the class, etc. Most of the students incorrectly assume that its ok to bring the gun like that, since they are taking a training class. Now the law will make it legal to do so.

And those are just my examples..I'm sure other instructors have other examples.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Ah... I can see that.

But by the way, the Reynolds Exemption is #11, and your example of carrying home from the store is also taken care of:

"5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;"

TFred

I don't think that applies, since Bass Pro doesn't repair guns, or the student may have purchased the gun elsewhere.

a better example of how the new exemption applies is when I do classes in hotels, like at the Nation's Gun show.