Thread: Interesting point from a CC'er

Interesting point from a CC'er

Yesterday afternoon at a grocery store another customer in there asked what kind of 1911 I had and it evolved into a conversation about guns. He says he respects OC and isn't a CC-only zealot but prefers CC. I made a comment like, "yeah in this area it's good to carry either way" He responded, "yeah, I grew up in this area, a lot of people know me, good and bad. I don't OC because a lot of these folks out here, unemployed or drug addicts, will watch me. They know I have a gun, you gotta think they know I have more guns at the house (which I do). They realize I have to leave the house to goto work etc, and they'll break in. Mind you I have a big pitbull and other guns in a safe but I don't want to give them an incentive to want to try and rob me when I'm not home."

I don't even know the neighbors in my cul-de-sac, and my whole side of the cul de sac is unoccupied except for my house. (left and right door neighbors foreclosed houses, and 2 doors down the house burned down completely)...I just think he brought up an interesting point that I never thought about or even heard from the Pro-CC crowd who always say, "element of surprise" "doesn't alarm other people" etc.

I agree, if people didn't know I had a gun on me I'd feel better, but just can't get a CCW right now or I would. Cn't afford the ammo for my open carry right now either.

If you don't want to OC because someone might rob your house, I have a solution for you.

Insurance.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    If you don't want to OC because someone might rob your house, I have a solution for you.

Insurance.
    I may be wrong but think the point is more about not having a gun wind up in the hands of one or more BGs. Insurance will give you $$ to replace what was lost but does nothing to prevent harm being done by someone who is now holding what used to be your gun. It's a moral/ethical thing moreso than a legal point.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Centurion

I understand the concept, not sure I agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by franco0341 View Post
    Yesterday afternoon at a grocery store another customer in there asked what kind of 1911 I had and it evolved into a conversation about guns. He says he respects OC and isn't a CC-only zealot but prefers CC. I made a comment like, "yeah in this area it's good to carry either way" He responded, "yeah, I grew up in this area, a lot of people know me, good and bad. I don't OC because a lot of these folks out here, unemployed or drug addicts, will watch me. They know I have a gun, you gotta think they know I have more guns at the house (which I do). They realize I have to leave the house to goto work etc, and they'll break in. Mind you I have a big pitbull and other guns in a safe but I don't want to give them an incentive to want to try and rob me when I'm not home."

I don't even know the neighbors in my cul-de-sac, and my whole side of the cul de sac is unoccupied except for my house. (left and right door neighbors foreclosed houses, and 2 doors down the house burned down completely)...I just think he brought up an interesting point that I never thought about or even heard from the Pro-CC crowd who always say, "element of surprise" "doesn't alarm other people" etc.
    I lived in a less than desireable area for a while, and I often open carried. The neighbors did not know how many guns I had, but they knew I had one. That one was with me when I left the trailer.

I recall one of the neighbors telling me that nobody wanted to mess with me. One thought I might be CIA.

My point is, a reputation for being a gun carrier can work as a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I may be wrong but think the point is more about not having a gun wind up in the hands of one or more BGs. Insurance will give you $$ to replace what was lost but does nothing to prevent harm being done by someone who is now holding what used to be your gun. It's a moral/ethical thing moreso than a legal point.

stay safe.
    But why would someone's residence be a target for burglary just because they OC? I could see where this might be a concern in small towns or rural areas where everyone knows everyone else and where they live. But in more populated areas, its very unlikely that most people observing an OCer in the course of his daily routine would know him, so they wouldn't know his place of residence either. Possible exception to this would be OC while walking in the vicinity of one's residence / home neigborhood. I could see where somone might want to conceal in that situation for theft prevention concerns.
    Last edited by Mark 1911; 06-04-2012 at 08:50 AM.

If it wasn't the gun it would be something else.
    For instance. I am a ham radio operator. I have ham radio antennas on my car and a state issue license plate on the rear of the car with my ham radio call sign. I often carry a portable ham radio walkie talkie. So some meth/crack head watching me would likly assume that I have other radio equiptment at home. They will plan on waiting until I leave then break in to steal my radio gear to sell for their next fix.
    Maybe some glue huffing loser will see you gassing up the jet skis for a trip to the lake. He knows you have nice things and will find a good time to break in and steal your jet skis and your other stuff which he can pawn.
    You enjoy flying RC aircraft. You finish flying your toys at the local park and pack up and go home. Some ruffian at the park was checking out your nice aircraft and followed you home. Now he's waiting for you to leave so he can break in and steal your other stuff and sell it on Craigslist.

So on and so on.

I'm not worried about some assclown seeing me with a gun on and thinking he can show up at my place. I leave for work but my spouse stays at home. She has her own bedside gun. Anyone coming in when I'm not home will likly get perferated.

If it's something you want to worry about, then go ahead and Pincus carry. Me, not really an issue.
    Last edited by sraacke; 06-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

ham radio equipment and jet skies are hard to sell, cause nobody wants them. Handguns, gold, and cash are a criminals best friend because they can be sold to other criminals for drugs or booze. It is smart to worry about people watching you especially these days. They wait till you leave, or are asleep, and bam.get a dog it at least makes them think twice if its worth getting attacked, plus they are great alerters for you if you are unaware or asleep. home invasions are on the rise

stay safe.
    But that does not make sense, either. If he is killed while CC'ing and the bad guy checks the body for cash, his handgun may be found and wind up in the bad guy's hands.

Does that mean that, ethically or morally he should not carry at all? That would also mean he should not own any gun that is stored where it may be stolen.

If he is simply taking a calculated risk in carrying, so too would it be a calculated risk to keep guns at home, regardless of his style of carry.

Keeping your guns at home in a safe or hidden in a lockbox, and locking your doors and windows, should ease any moral or ethical problems. The problem exists with the bad guys who have no morals or ethics.
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

stay safe.
    I just want to say that this type of mind set is more society induced worthless bologna. No one should ever feel personal guilt if your property is illegally, forcefully taken from you and then used to commit a crime. This is nothing more than anti 2A indoctrination. There could always be an indirect link from your actions to the suffering of someone else. Allowing this kind of mindset is not fair to you, or me, and playing into the anti's hands.

Been thinking about the burglary in the wrong hands thing. I may invest in a second safe, disassemble my firearms storing parts in different safes in different rooms. Long guns, action and barrels in one safe and bolt and stock in another.

Just pondering....

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Been thinking about the burglary in the wrong hands thing. I may invest in a second safe, disassemble my firearms storing parts in different safes in different rooms. Long guns, action and barrels in one safe and bolt and stock in another.

Just pondering....
    Because, if they break in and steal ONE safe, there's no way they could steal TWO?

Recoil.

The safest thing to do is to rid yourself of ANYTHING that is possible to use or encourage crime.

The only real difference between your firearm and your car, butcher knife, or son's baseball bat is the stigma society has placed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns
    The safest thing to do is to rid yourself of ANYTHING that is possible to use or encourage crime...
    So, can I use my gun to get rid of criminals?

Recoil.

Whether or not one carries CC or OC (known by community or not), if it is believed they they may have some valuable things in their home, it will most likely be broken into.

Because, if they break in and steal ONE safe, there's no way they could steal TWO?

Just more effort and time for them. Also thinking about creating storage in my crawl space. I have a 6 foot tall area that is room sized. Don't have any way of getting a safe in there tho.

Centurion

Reinforce the entryway and conceal it. The whole area becomes your vault.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Just more effort and time for them. Also thinking about creating storage in my crawl space. I have a 6 foot tall area that is room sized. Don't have any way of getting a safe in there tho.
    90 percent of preventing theft is not letting the thieves know it is there. Perhaps you can create a concealed/reinforced door for this area. Then the whole room becomes your vault. If you cannot get a safe in there, thieves might have a difficult time getting in or out. You also have the option of creating reinforced walls in place.

Insurance.
    And a heavy duty safe~~a mean dog is not a bad idea either.

sloppy concealed

i prefer a sloppy concealed. where if you look close, as a criminal might do, you can see part of the gun, maby more if the wind is blowing.
    but you are not openly advertising to women and children that you are carrying. the general law abiding people usualy dont notice.
    but i live in an open carry state, and have a cc permit. i.e an open holster with a shirt tail covering part of the gun
    Last edited by bellyfat; 06-09-2012 at 11:55 AM.

it's all hyperbole anyway. if there are people going to break into your house they are going to try and do it anyway. they don't care whether they see you with anything or not, they know you are living and have something they want to steal
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

In this way luck plays a little role. I happen to be working nights. Either my wife or I am at home almost 24/7.
    Just yesterday I got a text... "opened the hand safe (3 button combo on a 4 button safe- easy as hell in pitch black), carried miss piggy (our "ready for action" snub-nose 357 mag ) for a little while cause I heard a strange noise. Turned out to be nothing."

and this is our best defense against theft. I understand this isn't fundamental advice, just our specific situation. ONE of us is home almost 24/7. We both have readily accessible tools available based on the perceived threat. (I happen to carry ~%100 the time I'm at the house) But we both have immediate access to fully loaded shotguns, mag-powered hand guns, AKs, ARs, depending on the threat. No one is taking our defense tools without major losses.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns
    ...almost 24/7...

Recoil.

Occasionally I got to the range you know

Ah but that also means that the bad guys can't scout their house and figure out a reliable time to hit their house. So either they sit there and wait till that rare time, or they move on to an easier target. Personally I have multiple guns out in my house. My edc is almost always out, we have a bedside shotty, and I have an AUG on a shelf as display (its functional but I pull the trigger pack out of it when its on the shelf). I have no concern about someone breaking into our house to steal any of those guns, and if I am concerned (such as when I go on vacation) we put them in a heavy safe.

I figure if they want what I have bad enough they will figure out a way to get it regardless of what I do. So I take some precautions (safe, alarm system) but I'm not going to go to extremes or waste too much time worrying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    I just want to say that this type of mind set is more society induced worthless bologna. No one should ever feel personal guilt if your property is illegally, forcefully taken from you and then used to commit a crime. This is nothing more than anti 2A indoctrination. There could always be an indirect link from your actions to the suffering of someone else. Allowing this kind of mindset is not fair to you, or me, and playing into the anti's hands.
    +1 My moral stature will never depend upon somebody else's actions.