• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting point from a CC'er

franco0341

Yesterday afternoon at a grocery store another customer in there asked what kind of 1911 I had and it evolved into a conversation about guns. He says he respects OC and isn't a CC-only zealot but prefers CC. I made a comment like, "yeah in this area it's good to carry either way" He responded, "yeah, I grew up in this area, a lot of people know me, good and bad. I don't OC because a lot of these folks out here, unemployed or drug addicts, will watch me. They know I have a gun, you gotta think they know I have more guns at the house (which I do). They realize I have to leave the house to goto work etc, and they'll break in. Mind you I have a big pitbull and other guns in a safe but I don't want to give them an incentive to want to try and rob me when I'm not home."

I don't even know the neighbors in my cul-de-sac, and my whole side of the cul de sac is unoccupied except for my house. (left and right door neighbors foreclosed houses, and 2 doors down the house burned down completely)...I just think he brought up an interesting point that I never thought about or even heard from the Pro-CC crowd who always say, "element of surprise" "doesn't alarm other people" etc.

virginian45colt

I agree, if people didn't know I had a gun on me I'd feel better, but just can't get a CCW right now or I would. Cn't afford the ammo for my open carry right now either.:banghead:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you don't want to OC because someone might rob your house, I have a solution for you.

Insurance.

I may be wrong but think the point is more about not having a gun wind up in the hands of one or more BGs. Insurance will give you $$ to replace what was lost but does nothing to prevent harm being done by someone who is now holding what used to be your gun. It's a moral/ethical thing moreso than a legal point.

stay safe.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
I understand the concept, not sure I agree with it.

Yesterday afternoon at a grocery store another customer in there asked what kind of 1911 I had and it evolved into a conversation about guns. He says he respects OC and isn't a CC-only zealot but prefers CC. I made a comment like, "yeah in this area it's good to carry either way" He responded, "yeah, I grew up in this area, a lot of people know me, good and bad. I don't OC because a lot of these folks out here, unemployed or drug addicts, will watch me. They know I have a gun, you gotta think they know I have more guns at the house (which I do). They realize I have to leave the house to goto work etc, and they'll break in. Mind you I have a big pitbull and other guns in a safe but I don't want to give them an incentive to want to try and rob me when I'm not home."

I don't even know the neighbors in my cul-de-sac, and my whole side of the cul de sac is unoccupied except for my house. (left and right door neighbors foreclosed houses, and 2 doors down the house burned down completely)...I just think he brought up an interesting point that I never thought about or even heard from the Pro-CC crowd who always say, "element of surprise" "doesn't alarm other people" etc.

I lived in a less than desireable area for a while, and I often open carried. The neighbors did not know how many guns I had, but they knew I had one. That one was with me when I left the trailer.

I recall one of the neighbors telling me that nobody wanted to mess with me. One thought I might be CIA.

My point is, a reputation for being a gun carrier can work as a deterrent.

Mark 1911

I may be wrong but think the point is more about not having a gun wind up in the hands of one or more BGs. Insurance will give you $$ to replace what was lost but does nothing to prevent harm being done by someone who is now holding what used to be your gun. It's a moral/ethical thing moreso than a legal point.

stay safe.

But why would someone's residence be a target for burglary just because they OC? I could see where this might be a concern in small towns or rural areas where everyone knows everyone else and where they live. But in more populated areas, its very unlikely that most people observing an OCer in the course of his daily routine would know him, so they wouldn't know his place of residence either. Possible exception to this would be OC while walking in the vicinity of one's residence / home neigborhood. I could see where somone might want to conceal in that situation for theft prevention concerns.

Last edited:

sraacke

If it wasn't the gun it would be something else.
For instance. I am a ham radio operator. I have ham radio antennas on my car and a state issue license plate on the rear of the car with my ham radio call sign. I often carry a portable ham radio walkie talkie. So some meth/crack head watching me would likly assume that I have other radio equiptment at home. They will plan on waiting until I leave then break in to steal my radio gear to sell for their next fix.
Maybe some glue huffing loser will see you gassing up the jet skis for a trip to the lake. He knows you have nice things and will find a good time to break in and steal your jet skis and your other stuff which he can pawn.
You enjoy flying RC aircraft. You finish flying your toys at the local park and pack up and go home. Some ruffian at the park was checking out your nice aircraft and followed you home. Now he's waiting for you to leave so he can break in and steal your other stuff and sell it on Craigslist.

So on and so on.

I'm not worried about some assclown seeing me with a gun on and thinking he can show up at my place. I leave for work but my spouse stays at home. She has her own bedside gun. Anyone coming in when I'm not home will likly get perferated.

If it's something you want to worry about, then go ahead and Pincus carry. Me, not really an issue.

Last edited:

waterfowl woody

ham radio equipment and jet skies are hard to sell, cause nobody wants them. Handguns, gold, and cash are a criminals best friend because they can be sold to other criminals for drugs or booze. It is smart to worry about people watching you especially these days. They wait till you leave, or are asleep, and bam.get a dog it at least makes them think twice if its worth getting attacked, plus they are great alerters for you if you are unaware or asleep. home invasions are on the rise

MyWifeSaidYes

stay safe.

But that does not make sense, either. If he is killed while CC'ing and the bad guy checks the body for cash, his handgun may be found and wind up in the bad guy's hands.

Does that mean that, ethically or morally he should not carry at all? That would also mean he should not own any gun that is stored where it may be stolen.

If he is simply taking a calculated risk in carrying, so too would it be a calculated risk to keep guns at home, regardless of his style of carry.

Keeping your guns at home in a safe or hidden in a lockbox, and locking your doors and windows, should ease any moral or ethical problems. The problem exists with the bad guys who have no morals or ethics.

twoskinsonemanns

stay safe.

I just want to say that this type of mind set is more society induced worthless bologna. No one should ever feel personal guilt if your property is illegally, forcefully taken from you and then used to commit a crime. This is nothing more than anti 2A indoctrination. There could always be an indirect link from your actions to the suffering of someone else. Allowing this kind of mindset is not fair to you, or me, and playing into the anti's hands.

carracer

Been thinking about the burglary in the wrong hands thing. I may invest in a second safe, disassemble my firearms storing parts in different safes in different rooms. Long guns, action and barrels in one safe and bolt and stock in another.

Just pondering....

MyWifeSaidYes

Been thinking about the burglary in the wrong hands thing. I may invest in a second safe, disassemble my firearms storing parts in different safes in different rooms. Long guns, action and barrels in one safe and bolt and stock in another.

Just pondering....

Because, if they break in and steal ONE safe, there's no way they could steal TWO?

:confused:

twoskinsonemanns

The safest thing to do is to rid yourself of ANYTHING that is possible to use or encourage crime.

The only real difference between your firearm and your car, butcher knife, or son's baseball bat is the stigma society has placed on it.

MyWifeSaidYes

twoskinsonemanns said:
The safest thing to do is to rid yourself of ANYTHING that is possible to use or encourage crime...

So, can I use my gun to get rid of criminals? :banana:

William Fisher

Whether or not one carries CC or OC (known by community or not), if it is believed they they may have some valuable things in their home, it will most likely be broken into.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Reinforce the entryway and conceal it. The whole area becomes your vault.

Just more effort and time for them. Also thinking about creating storage in my crawl space. I have a 6 foot tall area that is room sized. Don't have any way of getting a safe in there tho.

90 percent of preventing theft is not letting the thieves know it is there. Perhaps you can create a concealed/reinforced door for this area. Then the whole room becomes your vault. If you cannot get a safe in there, thieves might have a difficult time getting in or out. You also have the option of creating reinforced walls in place.

bellyfat

sloppy concealed

i prefer a sloppy concealed. where if you look close, as a criminal might do, you can see part of the gun, maby more if the wind is blowing.
but you are not openly advertising to women and children that you are carrying. the general law abiding people usualy dont notice.
but i live in an open carry state, and have a cc permit. i.e an open holster with a shirt tail covering part of the gun

Last edited:

papa bear

it's all hyperbole anyway. if there are people going to break into your house they are going to try and do it anyway. they don't care whether they see you with anything or not, they know you are living and have something they want to steal