• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Pistol Transfer in NC

xtensity

In NC you are allowed to own a handgun at the age of 18... and the 21 age restriction is for receiving the pistol transfer permit from the sherrif.

I know a LOT of people who own handguns and are under the age of 21...
Some say there is a loophole in the law and doesn't require it for private transfer.... even though it seems it does
Others got their parents to come with them to the sherrifs...

One part of the law is sort of iffy with its wording though..

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_52A.html
It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides;

I'm not sure when they changed this law but it seems there is NO mention of age in the entire article. It also has that odd wording where it says the permit can be obtained by the purchaser... or reciever. Does this mean the purchaser who is above 21 can get the transfer permit and transfer it to the 18-20 year old? Last I checked you only need to be 21 to receive a transfer permit... but this law seems to have no mention of age at all now.

Input greatly appreciated.

xtensity

Okay if anyone is interested I found out that anyone above the age of 18 can go to the sherrifs office and apply for a Private Pistol Transfer permit

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One of the things that OCDO prides itself on is giving verifiable, confirmable cites. When we make a statement regarding the law, a reported event etc, we link the law or a recognized source.

So I'm curious, how did you confirm this information so quickly? Can you cite your source?

Dreamer

NC law allows anyone who is 18 or over to purchase, possess, or carry a handgun, if they are not a "prohibited person". There is no law saying that a Sheriff can only issue HPP's to people who are 21 or over.

The only law in NC that restricts sales of handguns to people 21 and over are Federal laws that only allow FFLs to sell handguns to people who are 21 or over.

But if it's a private sale, there is NO LAW that prohibits someone who is 18, 19, or 20 from conducting a private purchase, if they can secure a HPP from their sheriff. Some Sheriffs do not issue permits to anyone under 21 though, because the law allows them to issue permits at their own whim ad discretion--and gives them TREMENDOUS leeway in regards to who they can issue permits to--and they are not required to issue a permit to ANYONE they don't wish to, for any reason (or no reason at all...).

Unlike Concealed Handgun Permits, Handgun Purchase Permits are NOT "shall issue" in NC. This program was put in place as a "Jim Crow" law to allow Sheriffs the freedom to regulate who could have handguns--namely, to keep them ou tof the hands of blacks, minorities, and the poor.

The HPP program in NC is a disgusting, disgraceful remnant of the Jim Crow era, and needs to be abolished. It is a sickening reminder of a very ugly chapter of American history and is a blight on the good name of the People of North Carolina. Anyone who supports NCs HPP program needs to be called out for supporing Jim Crow laws, supporting institutionalized racism and classism, and should be "outed" publicly at every available opportunity as the racist oligarch they are...

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I hear what you are saying Dreamer. I just wonder how the OP determined what he did (limited as the response post was) in 33mimutes at 0 dark 30 in the morning. Off the cuff answers don't substantiate anything......even if they are correct.

My guess is he took someone's verbal - not the best practice. On the other hand I truly hope he stays, learns and joins in the growing movement throughout NC.

xtensity

I went down to the sherrifs office and applied today.

They explicitly told me that I would only be able to use it in a private transaction and not at an FFL dealer.

The way I understand it is:

NC Does not register handguns, except in Durham.
NC has no gun laws regarding age of ownership
NC Follows the federal age laws, them being:
18 to own a Long Gun or a Hand Gun
21 to purchase a handgun from an FFL dealer.
PPP required for all transfers of handguns in NC - even though they have no way of tracing this.
Private Transfers to not have to be registered in any system, the seller can throw it away if he wants, but it is a good idea to keep it incase the gun is ever used in a crime in the future. A bill of sale is also a good thing to use.

Even though at the Pistol Permit office they say on the forms that you must be 21, and pretty much in 10 different places on the wall in the room that you need to be 21 to apply...
I told the lady "I am applying for a private transfer permit for a handgun" she asked my age(19) and then told me to fill out a form. I filled it out and she said I could pick up my permit(s) in 7 days and reminded that they could only be used in a private transfer.

bc.cruiser

Damn, man, it must get confusing keeping the timelines straight.:rolleyes:

You say here you applied for your permit, but on the other forum we're both on, you tell us you picked up the permit at 4:30.

Between this forum, with Dreamer's input, and the one where Rotorhead ( I believe Dreamer knows that forum also-Elixin77 is there now) laid it out for you, you should at least have no doubt as to what is needed for a legal acquisition of a handgun in NC by someone under 21.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You say here you applied for your permit, but on the other forum we're both on, you tell us you picked up the permit at 4:30.

Between this forum, with Dreamer's input, and the one where Rotorhead ( I believe Dreamer knows that forum also-Elixin77 is there now) laid it out for you, you should at least have no doubt as to what is needed for a legal acquisition of a handgun in NC by someone under 21.

Makes one question the veracity of such personal experiences. :uhoh:

xtensity

My mistake, yesterday was a long day, confusing dealings.