Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Illinois Local Police

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Burlington, WI
    Posts
    29

    Illinois Local Police

    I was at a friends apartment doing some PC work, I had my gun on me concealed which was ok because it was private property. I've been carrying more often with extra mags because some group has been threatening my life along with hers. At around 1 in the morning we hear a knock on the door. Mind you these people threatening us know where we live, phone numbers, email addresses and such. So I answered the door with my gun in my had only to be greeted by a cop who drew on me. I explained to him about the threats we have been receiving and even offered recorded audio of such events. At this point he claims to need to cal hit LT down and see what to do. In the end they place me under arrest and try to charge me with Felony Aggravated Assault. They hold me over night and when I appear in court they dropped the charges to just Aggravated Assault which is a Class A Misdemeanor in Illinois. Even after explaining to them numerous times we have had our lives threatened and police reports backing it up they still want to charge me. When they released me on bond after 1pm they kept possession of my firearm with 46 rounds of ammunition and my Illinois F.O.I.D. card even though I don't live in Illinois and don't even need the card legally. When I got back to my friends apartment I noticed my Wisconsin CCW was also missing and my MicroSD 32GB chip from my phone as well. None of these items where listed on their evidence check-n list. Now when I called them they claimed I had to speak to an evidence technician to get my property back. That person informed me they can't give me anything back until the case is closed then 60 days after in case someone opens an appeal. This is all completely absurd when I was the victim of threats on my life as well as my friend. IS there anything I can do? This is all down in Rock County, IL and the drive is 3 hours just to get my stuff after the case is closed. I wonder if the case is dropped if I still have to wait 60 days. Also the officer never said Police when he was banging on the door so I had no idea who it was. Never used the peep whole because I've known of people getting shot though the peep hole right in the eye when looking. Any ideas anyone can offer me to get mt weapon back. I don't feel safe without it in Wisconsin when these people claim to know where I live and I have no other means of protecting myself.
    Last edited by bspiller; 05-31-2012 at 12:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    My advice: You need the help of an attorney, not the Internet.

    Just out of curiosity, why the hell was the cop there in the first place?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Burlington, WI
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    My advice: You need the help of an attorney, not the Internet.

    Just out of curiosity, why the hell was the cop there in the first place?
    He claims there was a noise complaint. Said people where banging on the floor when no one was even walking.
    Last edited by bspiller; 05-31-2012 at 02:42 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member xenophon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    316
    Damn. Though I'm sure when cop opened door and saw you with gun in hand, that had to be a pucker moment. No peephole to verify who is out there first?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophon View Post
    Damn. Though I'm sure when cop opened door and saw you with gun in hand, that had to be a pucker moment. No peephole to verify who is out there first?
    He stated he doesn't use it.


    Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Lawyer up.

    Period.



    Don't be surprised if you need a court order to get your firearm back. And then don't be surprised if every part has the case/evidence number etched into it.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  7. #7
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by bspiller View Post
    I was at a friends apartment doing some PC work, I had my gun on me concealed which was ok because it was private property. I've been carrying more often with extra mags because some group has been threatening my life along with hers. At around 1 in the morning we hear a knock on the door. Mind you these people threatening us know where we live, phone numbers, email addresses and such. So I answered the door with my gun in my had only to be greeted by a cop who drew on me. I explained to him about the threats we have been receiving and even offered recorded audio of such events. At this point he claims to need to cal hit LT down and see what to do. In the end they place me under arrest and try to charge me with Felony Aggravated Assault. They hold me over night and when I appear in court they dropped the charges to just Aggravated Assault which is a Class A Misdemeanor in Illinois. Even after explaining to them numerous times we have had our lives threatened and police reports backing it up they still want to charge me. When they released me on bond after 1pm they kept possession of my firearm with 46 rounds of ammunition and my Illinois F.O.I.D. card even though I don't live in Illinois and don't even need the card legally. When I got back to my friends apartment I noticed my Wisconsin CCW was also missing and my MicroSD 32GB chip from my phone as well. None of these items where listed on their evidence check-n list. Now when I called them they claimed I had to speak to an evidence technician to get my property back. That person informed me they can't give me anything back until the case is closed then 60 days after in case someone opens an appeal. This is all completely absurd when I was the victim of threats on my life as well as my friend. IS there anything I can do? This is all down in Rock County, IL and the drive is 3 hours just to get my stuff after the case is closed. I wonder if the case is dropped if I still have to wait 60 days. Also the officer never said Police when he was banging on the door so I had no idea who it was. Never used the peep whole because I've known of people getting shot though the peep hole right in the eye when looking. Any ideas anyone can offer me to get mt weapon back. I don't feel safe without it in Wisconsin when these people claim to know where I live and I have no other means of protecting myself.
    I guess i'm confused. Bad guys know where you live in WI and you were concerned they had found you in Ill?

    Why didn't you keep the gun behind you when you opened the door?

    Is it legal to have a FOID if you are no longer a FIB?

    Why don't you post on the IL forum?

    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Herr Heckler Koch
    Guest
    You're being charged by and your possessions seized and held under Illinois law and likely local laws. Posting in the Illinois forum might be more informative. Beyond that, lawyer up. http://lewclarke.squarespace.com/

  9. #9
    McX
    Guest
    there was a situation i heard of from one of the beloved, while dining at Lizzy's; he went on a shopping trip to illinois. began doing as shoppers do, looking in shop windows, walking down the street, unarmed, in a law abiding fashion. suddenly he was put upon by the man, and for some loose ammunition in his car, and no FOID card, as he was not an illinois resident, was jailed. ofcourse when the 'official' report came out, he was claimed to be found staggering down an alley, up to no good. he went to trial, and little justice was administered on his behalf. he was lucky to get out of illinois with his hide in the end.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ellsworth Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,213
    Now wasn't it McDonald vs Chicago that went to SCOTUS and he won. Then I heard that the mayor and his minions changed the gun laws to 'I don't want to see you with your gun outside on your property. Just keep it inside',because they could not stop people from owning guns. Illinois is a corrupt state. I wouldn't want to even pass through it. Get the best lawyer you can afford. I have heard the we can buy insurance through US Carry. Does WI carry offer insurance too?
    Last edited by Law abider; 05-31-2012 at 11:58 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by bspiller View Post
    I was at a friends apartment doing some PC work, I had my gun on me concealed which was ok because it was private property. I've been carrying more often with extra mags because some group has been threatening my life along with hers. At around 1 in the morning we hear a knock on the door. Mind you these people threatening us know where we live, phone numbers, email addresses and such. So I answered the door with my gun in my had only to be greeted by a cop who drew on me. I explained to him about the threats we have been receiving and even offered recorded audio of such events. At this point he claims to need to cal hit LT down and see what to do. In the end they place me under arrest and try to charge me with Felony Aggravated Assault. They hold me over night and when I appear in court they dropped the charges to just Aggravated Assault which is a Class A Misdemeanor in Illinois. Even after explaining to them numerous times we have had our lives threatened and police reports backing it up they still want to charge me. When they released me on bond after 1pm they kept possession of my firearm with 46 rounds of ammunition and my Illinois F.O.I.D. card even though I don't live in Illinois and don't even need the card legally. When I got back to my friends apartment I noticed my Wisconsin CCW was also missing and my MicroSD 32GB chip from my phone as well. None of these items where listed on their evidence check-n list. Now when I called them they claimed I had to speak to an evidence technician to get my property back. That person informed me they can't give me anything back until the case is closed then 60 days after in case someone opens an appeal. This is all completely absurd when I was the victim of threats on my life as well as my friend. IS there anything I can do? This is all down in Rock County, IL and the drive is 3 hours just to get my stuff after the case is closed. I wonder if the case is dropped if I still have to wait 60 days. Also the officer never said Police when he was banging on the door so I had no idea who it was. Never used the peep whole because I've known of people getting shot though the peep hole right in the eye when looking. Any ideas anyone can offer me to get mt weapon back. I don't feel safe without it in Wisconsin when these people claim to know where I live and I have no other means of protecting myself.
    I hate Illinois Nazi's...

    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gravel Switch, KY
    Posts
    544
    You claim that bad people who want to hurt you are after you, so at 1am when someone is beating on the door, you just blindly open the door without checking to see who it is?

  13. #13
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    What flb said.
    And what everyone else has said about getting a lawyer.
    I can recommend a good firm, but I don't know if any of them are licensed in IL.
    Use the "lawyer's address" link in my sig & at least give them a call.
    If they can't help you, maybe they know someone good in IL.

    I'd be very tempted to contact DOJ & report your carry license as stolen, which it was.
    Get a replacement ASAP.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 05-31-2012 at 08:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OTP, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    231
    I usually don't do this but unless there is a whole lot of detail missing from this story I have to call:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bsmeter.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	8543

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    69
    Right on! My BSometer is pegged in the same place as yours. Why even answer the door at all if the "bad men" are after you? I appologize if I'm wrong, but sounds kind of far fetched.

  16. #16
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    12,270
    If it is not BS this 'incident' is once again proof positive that going to Illinois is unwise.

    bspiller, t's Illinois, what did you expect.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

    "Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

  17. #17
    Regular Member Trip20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wausau Area
    Posts
    527
    Post the police report.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    What flb said.
    And what everyone else has said about getting a lawyer.
    I can recommend a good firm, but I don't know if any of them are licensed in IL.
    Use the "lawyer's address" link in my sig & at least give them a call.
    If they can't help you, maybe they know someone good in IL.

    I'd be very tempted to contact DOJ & report your carry license as stolen, which it was.
    Get a replacement ASAP.
    This !!!!!!
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  19. #19
    Regular Member ckmorley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    suring wisconsin
    Posts
    78
    Lawyer up and be prepared for a long fight, it is ILL after all.
    I was charged with Agg Unlawful Use of a Weapon in Chicago even though the gun was in a case and unloaded and I was a FOID holder.
    36 hours in lockup the 6 months of court appearances. When we finally tried the case the Judge had no idea what the transport laws were. I gave him a hightlighted copy of the statutes and he said "I always assumed that a gun had to be broken down to be transported". Great....... a Judge ASSUMING things.

    They admitted I was right, dropped the charges, but still kept my gun! Trying to get a court order to release it would've cost more than the glock was worth, so they still have it.

    As a result the arrest I lost my job and reputation. I moved out of ILL after 40 years and came up to GB to stay with my Dad. I now live in rural NE WI, am married a have my CHL.

    Do whatever you can to get out of this and say farewell to your gun. And never go back to that Socialist Shithole.

    ckmorley
    Anti-gunners tell us to run away from muggers. What about those of us who can't run ?

  20. #20
    McX
    Guest
    Glock, love the Avitar, had to throw in mine too! I salute you Sir!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  21. #21
    Regular Member Lurchiron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Shawano,WI.
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmorley View Post
    Lawyer up and be prepared for a long fight, it is ILL after all.
    I was charged with Agg Unlawful Use of a Weapon in Chicago even though the gun was in a case and unloaded and I was a FOID holder.
    36 hours in lockup the 6 months of court appearances. When we finally tried the case the Judge had no idea what the transport laws were. I gave him a hightlighted copy of the statutes and he said "I always assumed that a gun had to be broken down to be transported". Great....... a Judge ASSUMING things.

    They admitted I was right, dropped the charges, but still kept my gun! Trying to get a court order to release it would've cost more than the glock was worth, so they still have it.

    As a result the arrest I lost my job and reputation. I moved out of ILL after 40 years and came up to GB to stay with my Dad. I now live in rural NE WI, am married a have my CHL.

    Do whatever you can to get out of this and say farewell to your gun. And never go back to that Socialist Shithole.

    ckmorley
    That; and NO Ketchup on your Chi-dog...EVER

    Ashland & Lawrence (62-67) , Bear fan loose in Cheeseland...Priceless!!!


    Attachment 8587
    Bale da Hay

    "Have you Spanked a leftist today; it's the Right thing to do!!!"


    Within the gates before a man shall go,
    (Fully warily let him watch,)
    Full long let him look about him;
    For little he knows where a foe may lurk,
    And sit in the seats within.

    Havamal (Bellows translation)

  22. #22
    State Researcher lockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Elgin, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmorley View Post
    Lawyer up and be prepared for a long fight, it is ILL after all.
    I was charged with Agg Unlawful Use of a Weapon in Chicago even though the gun was in a case and unloaded and I was a FOID holder.
    36 hours in lockup the 6 months of court appearances. When we finally tried the case the Judge had no idea what the transport laws were. I gave him a hightlighted copy of the statutes and he said "I always assumed that a gun had to be broken down to be transported". Great....... a Judge ASSUMING things.

    They admitted I was right, dropped the charges, but still kept my gun! Trying to get a court order to release it would've cost more than the glock was worth, so they still have it.

    As a result the arrest I lost my job and reputation. I moved out of ILL after 40 years and came up to GB to stay with my Dad. I now live in rural NE WI, am married a have my CHL.

    Do whatever you can to get out of this and say farewell to your gun. And never go back to that Socialist Shithole.

    ckmorley

    Or, get financial backing and sue the s*it out of them.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OTP, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    Post the police report.
    I'd still like to see that one too....

  24. #24
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Howdy Folks!
    Lawyer Up!
    Post the Police Report!
    Fight for your Rights.

    But before taking any other step, show the cop's complaint.
    This sounds a bit far fetched, even for Illinois.
    That being said, it ain't beyond belief either.
    So show us your cards, because I think you're maybe sandbagging a few facts.

    How did the cop know you had a gun to start with? Did you point it at him?
    That would make the charge of aggravated assault reasonable.
    You're lucky you didn't get felony menacing if you pointed your weapon at him.
    Yes, you have a right to legitimate self defense. But you opened the door to an unknown person at 1:00am?
    Really? When in fear for your life; to the point you won't look through a peep hole, you opt to open the door? Really?
    I can understand reluctance to use a peep hole, but you say nothing about demanding your visitor identify himself before opening the door.
    Your reluctance to use a peephole being somewhat understandable, why haven't you put in a security camera to see who is outside the door?
    It ain't rocket science. Heck, you can do it with a webcam. Cost you maybe $30 bucks, and maybe a little more for an extension cable to get your camera plugged into your pc. Seems a small price to pay compared to court costs, lawyer fees, loss of property and possible threat to your life.

    Something about this whole story sounds hinky.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  25. #25
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Man, You're screwed. If I were you, first, I'd take down anything you said about what happened here. Remove it from the forum. Ask anyone who quoted you in a response to do like wise, then contact a lawyer in IL, hopefully a good one, and see what you can do.

    All I can say for now is good luck.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •