• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Letter from Wayne

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Folks,

I got this from the NRA today and I'm looking for how to respond.

"Dear Jesus :

Your NRA membership has officially expired. I've e-mailed you several times and I haven't heard back from you.

If you have a problem with NRA that's keeping you from renewing your membership, please let me know what it is, and I pledge to you that I'll do whatever I can to fix it"

It goes on and on, but my issues with them are, inter alia:
- excessive mailers asking for more money
- a lack of genuine support for open carry in Florida
- Their distribution of my information to folks I don't want spamming me
- shoddy ranking of government officials (they seem to give an A to anyone)
- they seem to be a little out of touch with what gun people want (and keeping watch on forums like this would be a great start)

Now of course I will renew; however, I have my gripes and I'm wondering if you've got them too.

j4l

Folks,

"Dear Jesus :

Your NRA membership has officially expired. I've e-mailed you several times and I haven't heard back from you.

If you have a problem with NRA that's keeping you from renewing your membership, please let me know what it is, and I pledge to you that I'll do whatever I can to fix it"

- they seem to be a little out of touch with what gun people want (and keeping watch on forums like this would be a great start)

Now of course I will renew; however, I have my gripes and I'm wondering if you've got them too.

Didnt renew mine. After their BS during 790, last year, that was the last straw. No dues from me for them to say "not a priority right now" for OC, yet pulling out all the big guns to make sure we can legally buy a rifle ,that we can get at any local outfitter- in another State?
Seems to me their only "priority" anymore is to get more of our $$$$$$$

ADulay

Didnt renew mine. After their BS during 790, last year, that was the last straw.

OK, so you don't renew. What's the alternative? Is there another national organization to join or support?

Not trying to be a jerk, just wanted to know if we have anyplace else to go?

AD

Rich7553

I'd recommend you answer Wayne's letter. How will then ever know why you didn't renew if you don't respond. Even if nothing ever comes of it, at least you'll feel better.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
I'd recommend you answer Wayne's letter. How will then ever know why you didn't renew if you don't respond. Even if nothing ever comes of it, at least you'll feel better.

I will renew, Rich (mainly because of ADulay's argument, supra). But Jeff makes a good point when he states that their priorities seem misplaced. I will write them, but in all honesty I don't think they will read it or care.

MagiK_SacK

I will renew, Rich (mainly because of ADulay's argument, supra). But Jeff makes a good point when he states that their priorities seem misplaced. I will write them, but in all honesty I don't think they will read it or care.

If this is truly how you feel about the organization, why renew? I am not a member and what you just stated is why. I will not associate myself with an organization that I feel that way about.

F350

Folks,

"Dear Jesus :

Got much the same letter a few years ago; my reply was...

Dear Wayne;

My problem with the NRA is YOU; when you are gone I will reconsider my membership.

Never heard back!

As for alternatives, I belong to Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and Gun Owners of America.

Last edited:

Tawnos

OK, so you don't renew. What's the alternative? Is there another national organization to join or support?

AD

Second Amendment Foundation and CCRKBA come to mind

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member

AD

Florida Carry, dude. At least at the state level they have our backs.

I renewed with the NRA on Saturday, but I will work on that letter and post it here; hopefully, you folks can add (or subtract) a few things before I send it in. I doubt they will read or respond, even with "Attorney at Law" underneath my name.

Really, I had to renew: I am taking the trainer and reloading classes, and my gunsmithing and armorer certificates aren't worth much without their blessing. That type of monopoly on everything gun-related is another one of my gripes.

Rich7553

Florida Carry, dude. At least at the state level they have our backs.

I renewed with the NRA on Saturday, but I will work on that letter and post it here; hopefully, you folks can add (or subtract) a few things before I send it in. I doubt they will read or respond, even with "Attorney at Law" underneath my name.

Really, I had to renew: I am taking the trainer and reloading classes, and my gunsmithing and armorer certificates aren't worth much without their blessing. That type of monopoly on everything gun-related is another one of my gripes.

Jojo, Andy (ADulay) is one of the original members of Florida Carry, and has religiously attended the OC fishing events here in Fort Myers.

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Jojo, Andy (ADulay) is one of the original members of Florida Carry, and has religiously attended the OC fishing events here in Fort Myers.

Pleased to meet you again, Andy. Thank you, Rich, for the formal introductions.