• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Alder Lake Park OC encounter

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I totally believe in fighting for our "cause". I think that when they are willing to work with us to recognize their effort to make an effort to comply needs to be recognized. Just like employees/kids/spouses, it's so easy to criticize a mistake/wrong doing, to recognize doing something good goes so much farther.

godsdaddy

I sent a very similarly worded response to Ms. Tofte, thanking her for responding and for working to correct their rules so as to be in compliance with state law, and not discriminating against law-abiding firearms owners. I will post it up once I get a chance, from my computer. I'm not going to attempt that from my phone. Camping at Rainbow Falls State Park this weekend... hopefully it'll be quiet!

Carry on gents... :dude:

Difdi

It always has but now they wrote in that little clause.... "and prohibiting the display of firearms and other weapons in certain circumstances."

An unlawful display of a firearm is where you point it at someone without lawful justification. Banning a lawful display trips over state and federal law. Of course, if nobody ever broke the law, we wouldn't have police...

Freedom1Man

Can you explain that too me? I looked it up but did not see where it says you do not need a cpl

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

sawah

Good job, OP, but I think your reply is just too wordy and one struggles with the beginning. You give a negative example 'most people...blah, blah, blah'. We all do this, trying to be meaningful and erudite, but the truth is the best reply is:

1. Re: my letter of (date) thank you for the reply and the consideration, and
2. You changed the signs about carrying and
4. That made me (and the state law) happy
5. Thanks for your quick and favorable response.
6. Who can I compliment you with
7. Yours truly.

You probably already sent it, so it's a moot point, but, if I can be so bold as to suggest, we all need to consider that public officials get tons of mail and look most favorably on:
1. Knowing what the heck you're referring to (i.e. 'my letter, when and why')
2. What they did
3. How that made you happy/satisfied and conformed to state law
4. Thanking them for their promptness
5. Giving a pat on the back.
6. Emphasis on you being polite and thoughtful

I've found a good closing is 'please let me know the email of your supervisor so I can compliment your attention to this important matter'.

Then I'd carry their reply with me so you can offer proof of intent in case you get stopped before everyone is briefed. Again, good job.

fire suppressor

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

Thanks freedom man for some reason the website did not load all the way for me last night and I missed the first part. I had read this RCW a few years ago and I had forgotten about it, it is a good one to tuck away

godsdaddy

Good job, OP, but I think your reply is just too <SNIP>

I'm not sure if you mixed up what golddigger or gogo posted with me, but I hadn't posted my reply yet at the time of your posting. Here is my reply to Ms. Tofte:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: htofte@ci.tacoma.wa.us
Subject: RE: Tacoma Power Parks firearm rule
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:52:26 +0000

Ms. Tofte,

Thank you for your reply, and for working to address my concerns and bring your rules in compliance with Washington State law regarding the lawful open carry of firearms.

When can we expect to see these changes happening in your parks? I understand it is a process, and the logistics behind changing things like the pamphlets and signs may take some time, however conveying these changes to the employees (and management) at your parks should take no time at all.

Again, thank you for your reply. I look forward to enjoying your parks, knowing I will not be discriminated against or given a hard time for exercising my rights and conducting perfectly legal, lawful activities.

Sincerely,

Bxxxxx Bxxxxxx
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be getting up to this park again during the first week of July, and will follow-up then (with pictures) if the signs are changed, etc. Thanks again for the support guys.