Thread: Uneventful purchase at Cabela's Tulalip

Red face Uneventful purchase at Cabela's Tulalip

I wrote earlier about the 'requirement' that Cabela's held in that a BP pistol had to go through the FFL process:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-powder-pistol

Well - today I went to the Tulalip Cabela's and picked up the 1851 Confederate Navy [brass frame] .44 @
    $129.99 + $11.18 tax = $141.17.
    I had placed the order online and directed it to be picked up in the store.

I was waiting for the cashier to break out the 4473 book and give me the waiting period story ( if you do not hold a CPL) , but she gave
    me my change and wished me a Good Day.

So - when did the store policy change?

Any thoughts?

Only that much for that kind of a gun? Mind posting some pics of it, what kind of condition was it in?

1851 Navy

Was that a NIB weapon? Beauty. I just picked one up (used) last month.

Famous "Navy" users included Wild Bill Hickok, John Henry "Doc" Holliday, Richard Francis Burton, Ned Kelly, and Robert E. Lee. Use long after more modern cartridge revolvers were introduced in 1873.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

cabela's 1851 Colt.

To MSG and Wolf -yep brand new in the Styrofoam.
    On sale for now; might hurry as I don't know when it ends.

Pix in a day or so.

If any of you do opt for this and do not choose in-store pickup...let me know if you get the ''must go through the FFL'' song and dance.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680

pix of Navy Colt

As I said - here are some pix of the newest pistol in the house...not taking credit for the quality of the images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP 005.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	8547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BP 001.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	8546  

Great looking Pistol, and great price. I sold my FIE 1864 Remington New Model Army .44 on gunbroker several ears back, I went through a lot of never dull in the 20+ years owning it.

I LOVE black powder but have never herd of having to fill out uncle Sam's background check to get one. Does anyone know can the store still legally require you to fill it out if it is their policy?

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    I LOVE black powder but have never herd of having to fill out uncle Sam's background check to get one. Does anyone know can the store still legally require you to fill it out if it is their policy?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...re-one-for-us!

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.4.6&idno=28

28 CFR 25.6:
    25.6 Accessing records in the system.

(a) FFLs may initiate a NICS background check only in connection with a proposed firearm transfer as required by the Brady Act. FFLs are strictly prohibited from initiating a NICS background check for any other purpose. The process of accessing the NICS for the purpose of conducting a NICS background check is initiated by an FFL's contacting the FBI NICS Operations Center (by telephone or electronic dial-up access) or a POC. FFLs in each state will be advised by the ATF whether they are required to initiate NICS background checks with the NICS Operations Center or a POC and how they are to do so.

and

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.4.11&idno=28

28 CFR 25.11

25.11 Prohibited activities and penalties.

(a) State or local agencies, FFLs, or individuals violating this subpart A shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $10,000 and subject to cancellation of NICS inquiry privileges.
    (b) Misuse or unauthorized access includes, but is not limited to, the following:
    (1) State or local agencies', FFLs', or individuals' purposefully furnishing incorrect information to the system to obtain a “Proceed” response, thereby allowing a firearm transfer;
    (2) State or local agencies', FFLs', or individuals' purposefully using the system to perform a check for unauthorized purposes; and
    (3) Any unauthorized person's accessing the NICS.

So, it would seem to me that if the NICS check is not required by the Brady Act and is done anyway, it should be an up-to $10,000 fine.

and, BTW, 28 CFR 25.2:

Firearm has the same meaning as in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3).

Last edited by Bill Starks; 06-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.

I think that maybe that they already know if one has a State of WA License to carry concealed pistol card just by running your name and ssn? That could be one of the "customer service" things that Cabela's wants to do for their customers?? However, I would be proud to display my loyalty and legality to the laws of this state.

When I encountered this state pistol form issue while working for wholesale sports in Silverdale, the answer given by the KitsapSheriff office was "If it has a serial number you have to do the paper" pure BS in my opinion. State law says otherwise, it is exem[pt as a replica.

Red face No-check purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Detmurds View Post
    I think that maybe that they already know if one has a State of WA License to carry concealed pistol card just by running your name and ssn? That could be one of the "customer service" things that Cabela's wants to do for their customers?? However, I would be proud to display my loyalty and legality to the laws of this state.
    The CS rep 'Shaundra' was helpful,prompt...and cute. I showed her my DL and she looked at it only long enough to be able to verify my name.

The entire transaction lasted about ten minutes, with almost six of those being in the storeroom looking for the package.

As far as I know, Cabela's has no method of checking SSN .

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    The CS rep 'Shaundra' was helpful,prompt...and cute. I showed her my DL and she looked at it only long enough to be able to verify my name.

The entire transaction lasted about ten minutes, with almost six of those being in the storeroom looking for the package.

As far as I know, Cabela's has no method of checking SSN .
    Could have sworn I had to submit my ssn when I recently purchased a firearm? Regardless, thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    When I encountered this state pistol form issue while working for wholesale sports in Silverdale, the answer given by the KitsapSheriff office was "If it has a serial number you have to do the paper" pure BS in my opinion. State law says otherwise, it is exem[pt as a replica.
    Bows have serial numbers.

So do fishing reels.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Bows have serial numbers.

So do fishing reels.
    I wonder how the BATF would respond to a glut of registrations/NICS checks on fishing reel purchases?