• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Uneventful purchase at Cabela's Tulalip

Contrarian

I wrote earlier about the 'requirement' that Cabela's held in that a BP pistol had to go through the FFL process:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?97456-FFL-needed-for-black-powder-pistol

Well - today I went to the Tulalip Cabela's and picked up the 1851 Confederate Navy [brass frame] .44 @
$129.99 + $11.18 tax = $141.17.
I had placed the order online and directed it to be picked up in the store.

I was waiting for the cashier to break out the 4473 book and give me the waiting period story ( if you do not hold a CPL) , but she gave
me my change and wished me a Good Day.

So - when did the store policy change?

Any thoughts?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
1851 Navy

Was that a NIB weapon? Beauty. I just picked one up (used) last month.

Famous "Navy" users included Wild Bill Hickok, John Henry "Doc" Holliday, Richard Francis Burton, Ned Kelly, and Robert E. Lee. Use long after more modern cartridge revolvers were introduced in 1873.

Contrarian

pix of Navy Colt

As I said - here are some pix of the newest pistol in the house...not taking credit for the quality of the images.

Attachments

• BP 001.jpg
    BP 001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 208
  • BP 005.jpg
    BP 005.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 252

jbone

Great looking Pistol, and great price. I sold my FIE 1864 Remington New Model Army .44 on gunbroker several ears back, I went through a lot of never dull in the 20+ years owning it.

fire suppressor

I LOVE black powder but have never herd of having to fill out uncle Sam's background check to get one. Does anyone know can the store still legally require you to fill it out if it is their policy?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I LOVE black powder but have never herd of having to fill out uncle Sam's background check to get one. Does anyone know can the store still legally require you to fill it out if it is their policy?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...owder-revolvers-in-WA-State-score-one-for-us!

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.4.6&idno=28

28 CFR 25.6:
§ 25.6 Accessing records in the system.

(a) FFLs may initiate a NICS background check only in connection with a proposed firearm transfer as required by the Brady Act. FFLs are strictly prohibited from initiating a NICS background check for any other purpose. The process of accessing the NICS for the purpose of conducting a NICS background check is initiated by an FFL's contacting the FBI NICS Operations Center (by telephone or electronic dial-up access) or a POC. FFLs in each state will be advised by the ATF whether they are required to initiate NICS background checks with the NICS Operations Center or a POC and how they are to do so.

and

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.4.11&idno=28

28 CFR 25.11

§ 25.11 Prohibited activities and penalties.

(a) State or local agencies, FFLs, or individuals violating this subpart A shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $10,000 and subject to cancellation of NICS inquiry privileges.
(b) Misuse or unauthorized access includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) State or local agencies', FFLs', or individuals' purposefully furnishing incorrect information to the system to obtain a “Proceed” response, thereby allowing a firearm transfer;
(2) State or local agencies', FFLs', or individuals' purposefully using the system to perform a check for unauthorized purposes; and
(3) Any unauthorized person's accessing the NICS.

So, it would seem to me that if the NICS check is not required by the Brady Act and is done anyway, it should be an up-to $10,000 fine.

and, BTW, 28 CFR 25.2:

Firearm has the same meaning as in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3).

Last edited:

Detmurds

I think that maybe that they already know if one has a State of WA License to carry concealed pistol card just by running your name and ssn? That could be one of the "customer service" things that Cabela's wants to do for their customers?? However, I would be proud to display my loyalty and legality to the laws of this state.

Trigger Dr

When I encountered this state pistol form issue while working for wholesale sports in Silverdale, the answer given by the KitsapSheriff office was "If it has a serial number you have to do the paper" pure BS in my opinion. State law says otherwise, it is exem[pt as a replica.

Contrarian

No-check purchase

I think that maybe that they already know if one has a State of WA License to carry concealed pistol card just by running your name and ssn? That could be one of the "customer service" things that Cabela's wants to do for their customers?? However, I would be proud to display my loyalty and legality to the laws of this state.

The CS rep 'Shaundra' was helpful,prompt...and cute. I showed her my DL and she looked at it only long enough to be able to verify my name.

The entire transaction lasted about ten minutes, with almost six of those being in the storeroom looking for the package.

As far as I know, Cabela's has no method of checking SSN .

Detmurds

The CS rep 'Shaundra' was helpful,prompt...and cute. I showed her my DL and she looked at it only long enough to be able to verify my name.

The entire transaction lasted about ten minutes, with almost six of those being in the storeroom looking for the package.

As far as I know, Cabela's has no method of checking SSN .

Could have sworn I had to submit my ssn when I recently purchased a firearm? Regardless, thanks for the feedback!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
When I encountered this state pistol form issue while working for wholesale sports in Silverdale, the answer given by the KitsapSheriff office was "If it has a serial number you have to do the paper" pure BS in my opinion. State law says otherwise, it is exem[pt as a replica.

Bows have serial numbers.

So do fishing reels.