Thread: Man Robbed with Own Handgun in Minneapolis Mugging

Man Robbed with Own Handgun in Minneapolis Mugging

MINNEAPOLIS -
    Police say a Minneapolis man was walking home May 21 when he was blind-sided by a robber and pushed up against a parked car before his assailant took the victim's gun –- which he had a conceal and carry permit for -– and placed it against his head.
    I would like to note that I believe the guy was carrying concealed and that the state of Minnesota issues carry permits not concealed carry permits.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...n-mpls-mugging
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    Here we go.

I'd bet my life (literally) that if that could happen to me, the guy wouldn't know how to shoot a cocked-and-locked 1911.

While this aberration is a statistical zero, there is something to be said for carrying a firearm that requires something other than just a trigger stroke. But this was really only an issue back in the day when open-carrying cops didn't use retention holsters.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

He wasn't carrying his gun in a holster.

He had "shown" his gun a couple of times to "defuse" situations.

Alrighty, then.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Banned
    We would call that brandishing at a minimum.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    He wasn't carrying his gun in a holster.

He had "shown" his gun a couple of times to "defuse" situations.

Alrighty, then.
    If this really was the case, I'm certain the robber was one of the people that this joker defused earlier. To be blind sided shows a lack of situational awareness. Not blaming a victim, just stating the obvious. To flash a weapon is criminal in many states. It appears this carrier needed many things, most of all more smarts.

Stupid is as stupid does sir. - Forrest Gump.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    If this really was the case, I'm certain the robber was one of the people that this joker defused earlier. To be blind sided shows a lack of situational awareness. Not blaming a victim, just stating the obvious. To flash a weapon is criminal in many states. It appears this carrier needed many things, most of all more smarts.

Stupid is as stupid does sir. - Forrest Gump.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!

I guess my questions start with how do YOU define "flash a weapon"?
    Next How many is "many"?
    Also, could you list the states that "flashing" is illegal in?

Banned
    Showing your weapon, especially one normally concealed, in an effort to cause a certain reaction from the other party, usually fear or compliance.

In this scenario the victim was unable to get to his primary CC pistol in time, so can someone explain to me the wisdom in carrying your BUG (back-up gun) concealed as well? I mean if youre in a situation where youre down to drawing your BUG then the sh!t has really hit the proverbial fan and you need just as fast access to your BUG (if not faster) than your primary.

This scenario also goes to prove this maxim true: "Carrying one gun is equivalent to no gun."

Even with the victim totally blindsided and with one arm incapacitated, if he had been carrying second handgun and his carry configuration was such that he could produce a pistol with either hand this robbery would have had a much different outcome.

Had he been OCing one gun and CCing the other he still might have had a fighting chance because the attacker would be forced to go for the OCed handgun first and as they struggled for dominance over the primary the OCer can draw his BUG and prevail.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Banned
    Although I agree with you, one could speculate by the experiences and statistics that if he was OC, he would have very likely avoided the whole thing altogether.

Banned

Oh well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIHMN1rFi9s

Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes your the bug ...

He gave away the slim advantage of CC'ing, he showed the world his gun by flashing it to someone.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!