• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry at Special Events in Parks

ppardue1

I am planning to visit the Lenoir City Arts and Crafts Festival this weekend. (http://www.lenoircityartsandcraftsfestival.com/ArtsAndCrafts/)

I have done the obligatory check in that, yes, Lenoir City did NOT opt-out of the state "guns in parks" bill. That said, as far as I can tell the law is silent in specific regards to this special event where an organization uses the park property. Does anyone have any insight as to the legal status of such an event? Does the event organizer have control of the property for the duration of the event? If so I could, conceivably, be trespassed from public land, could I not?

It seems important that they request a donation for admission such that there is not an actual admission to the park. This leads me to believe that they do not have exclusive use of the park.

Fallguy

I'm not really familiar with the park or event.

Will the event be using the entire park or just a portion? If they are using just a portion and that area has been designated for their use, then IMO whoever is in charge of the event can post against carry in that area and/or as someone that is carrying to leave that area.

If the event is just at the park in general and the park is still open to the public, I don't see how you could legally be asked to leave as long as you not violating any law or ordnance.

Of course my opinion is about worth what you payed for it......

ppardue1

I'm happy to report that all went well, not so much as a second glance by the LEOs or the event staff. I always expect something to go sour when in large group settings such as this but, yet again, I have been proven wrong.