• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any OC meets in Rutherford County?

alucard3600

I just purchased my first pistol for OC, I am 22 years old and I bought a Glock 22 Gen3 at American Tactical and Pawn in Shelby. They have always been very reasonable to work with and will even do package deals sometimes for buying a firearm with accessories. I am sort of confused with the OC laws, my father is in law enforcement and I asked him about it, and he said while it is not illegal to carry open for me to be careful because all it would take is someone to call the police and claim "fear for their life" and they could hit me with a going armed to the terror of the public even though technically i have done nothing wrong other than wear it openly. I wore it into Walmart in Forest City today and got some questioning looks and some of the employees gave me the look and "You can't do that in here" and of course I try to politely inform them that it is not illegal to open carry in North Carolina as long as you are not in an establishment that prohibits firearms or a place where alcohol is consumed, or like a government facility. I know several people that OC their all the time, but I was just wondering if even my dad seems to think its a bad Idea and he is an avid gun owner should I take his advice and just wait to get a CC? I know most of the pawn shops could care less but maybe I should not take it in to public places like Walmart? Tell me what you all think and are there ever any OC meets in Rutherford County or near here?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO alucard3600 and for stepping up to the plate responsibly. There is little exrtra credit for OCing privately. The idea is to afford greater deterrent value, comfort and accessibility (safety) + you will be educating the public.

No disrespect intended but your dad is a product of his environment. The LE community is just starting to "get it" in some areas - we are not the BGs, we are the public's greatest asset - law abiding citizens (LAC) taking responsible means to afford our safety.

Going to the terror of the public and disorderly conduct are jokes when doing something legal. If it ever happens that you are threatened with that, don't hold street court. Comply under stated duress if that works best for you, take names and numbers (recorder, yes?) and follow through up the ladder. No need to get arrested to have standing. This is not an in-your-face crowd. Just normal, everyday people, going about our normal everyday lives. We deal in facts, rights and honesty - in that we are relentless. Study up on your state and local laws - sure that some fellow Carolinians will chime in shortly. Meet up and do the buddy system thing a couple of times - coffee and a meal will get you more solid info in an hour or so than several days of reading.

Good luck and enjoy.

alucard3600

Thank you for welcoming me to the forums. And as far as my dad goes I think he may just be concerned and doesn't want me to have to deal with his fellow LEO if someone where to freak out and call, which i can understand. But as far as that goes that is why I came to this forum to get a better understanding of OC and be more aware of how it works and how I should or should not handle things. I have tried to look up some laws as far as OC goes and i came across this website http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm and it seems informative but at the same time regarding the explanation they give for OC would leave people about as confused as they were before regarding their statement at the end

"So in theory that leaves everywhere else in the state - except for one more thing. There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.
So is open carry legal in NC? In theory, yes. In practice, maybe. It seems to us like a very good way to get arrested.
"

What do you think of that?

Last edited:

brutus1776

I would personally ignore that paragraph you last quoted. This person has probably never open carried in NC and is a spectator.

There are hundreds if not thousands of people who OC every day across NC and I believe you can count the 'Going Armed to the Terror of the Public' cases on one hand involving a holstered side arm and no specific threats against a person or property. There is solid precedent backing up ones right to carry a holstered firearm and that it can in no way be construed as going armed to the terror of the public. This doesnt mean an LEO might initiate a contact or harass you. And the fact is, if you are harassed for OC, usually, the cops cant even charge you with a gun crime. Many probably don't realize that going into the stop, but they tend to throw a 'catch all' charge such as 'disorderly conduct,' etc.

Rule 1. If asked to leave somewhere by someone of in control of the property, dont argue, just respect their property rights and leave. This will eliminate most contacts with LEO's.
Rule 2. Know the law, know where you are restricted from carrying and stay within those parameters.

Opinions on OC are going to vary in the Gun Community.

1. No disrespect, but cops tend to despise any activity that isn't expressly licensed and sanctioned by the state/govt. Many despise the mere fact that 'civilians' are allowed to even own firearms. Hence, most LEO's and agencies are opposed to OC, although most seem to be tolerant in this state. Atleast in the western areas of NC.

2. There is a segment of the gun community that also follows the same logic of 'if the govt doesn't give you permission, you shouldn't be doing it.' This extends to OC. They don't like OC for the same reasons why a state licensed and permitted business doesn't like a 'black market' business that doesn't have the permits, and licenses. Because they had to jump through the hoops and people get mad when someone else doesn't do the same thing. I would ignore these people. These are the NRA 'its about hunting' types.

3. Some people play the 'tactical advantage' card and say that with OC you are going to have your gun taken from you and shot with it. Or you are going to be shot first if there is a run in with a bad guy because all your cards are showing. These are good points and very good reasons to be TRAINED and PROFICIENT with your firearm. Both in manipulation and retention. They never will bring up the fact that you might deter a multitude of crime by being a professional looking, clean cut person lawfully OC'ing a firearm for defense. I also recommend being clean cut and not looking like a bum. You might also invest in a good retention holster with a bale or locking mechanism like a GCode or Safariland if you dont have good training on weapon retention. (or even if trained)

I say OC, don't ask permission in the form of a CCW permit, even though, in many cases it might be better to carry concealed. After you do it for a while, you'll get confident. And most of the time, 75% or more of the people NEVER notice or if they do, they think you are a cop. People tend to leave you alone and you also tend to get the best customer service.

Last edited:

rctc1234

hello everyone! new to this site..

alucard3600:

Hey I'm from forest city also and would like to know more about the OC laws and how it works in these county. Do you know how to find out this laws and what it consist of..thank you.