• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Video Recording Questions - Equipment and Consent

Mark 1911

Help Please - Video / Audio Recording Questions

I imagine some of these questions have been asked before, so I apologize for any duplicate posting.

My questions concern the videos I have seen on this website documenting police stops, as well as audio recording.

1. Equipment
What type of equipment do you use to record the video/audio? Cell phone? Video camera? Do you actually point a recording device at the officer while he's talking or do you use some kind of hands-free remote lens/microphone attached to your clothing somehow? I can't imagine trying to hold either a cell phone or a video camera and trying to focus on the conversation at the same time, which is likely taking place at a higher than normal adrenaline level.

2. Consent
I can't imagine the cops not even commenting on the video camera, even if they did consent. Are the cops required to consent to the video? I haven't seen any discussion of the camera yet in the vids I have watched. Do laws concerning video recording vary from state to state or from one locality to another?

3. State-by-State Laws
Is anyone familiar with a source of information for what the state laws are regarding the recording of police activity?

Would appreciate as much advice/input on this topic as possible. So far my experience with OC has been smooth, and I have been OCing on a regular basis now for 6 - 8 weeks. I have had two encounters with squad cars, in both encounters my holstered firearm was plainly visible. In one encounter, there were two squads traveling, one behind the other. I received not so much as a brake tap from the passing squad in both encounters. I just want to be ready.

Last edited:

gobbly

keep in mind that there's some federal/constitutional issues here. There is a state with a law preventing video and audio recording of police specifically. I think it's michigan, but can't recall for sure, you can look it up. There have also been a number of cases across the country under wiretapping laws. Bear in mind that this ONLY concerns audio recording. In all cases I'm aware of the charges were dropped, or it was thrown out of court. The reason was that the exchange between a police officer and a citizen happened in public where there was 'no reasonable expectation of privacy', which is a pre-requisite for wiretapping violations.

This site is a good resource: http://www.photographyisntacrime.com/

They cover all sorts of recording, from photographs (where they got their start) to video and audio.

Edit: just realized I forgot to put in something about the constitutional issue. Recording/photography is generally protected in public spaces... But again, depends on the circumstances, and how willing you might be to fight charges, as there are lots of people/places that don't like it, regardless of ultimate legality.

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Thanks much to all who posted information, seems like a mountain of legal stuff for a non-legal type to try to absorb. I guess I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, but I'm just not finding what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the specific Indiana law where it says I am legal in recording when stopped by an LEO, including Indiana law pertaining to audio recording of the stop, and Indiana law pertaining to video with audio. I know that one person posted that Indiana is a one-party consent state, but again, trying to see where it is specifically stated in Indiana Code.

Ca Patriot

Thanks much to all who posted information, seems like a mountain of legal stuff for a non-legal type to try to absorb. I guess I'm looking for a needle in a haystack, but I'm just not finding what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the specific Indiana law where it says I am legal in recording when stopped by an LEO, including Indiana law pertaining to audio recording of the stop, and Indiana law pertaining to video with audio. I know that one person posted that Indiana is a one-party consent state, but again, trying to see where it is specifically stated in Indiana Code.

No laws are written saying what you CAN do. Laws are written for what you CANT do.

A simple way to record and keeps your hands free is to wear a shirt with a pocket and put your IPhone in it with the lens sticking out.

When I am out in the field doing video work I put my Go Pro on the chest harness and wear it. Its simple and hands free and provides great video with a wide angle.

If you want "hidden cameras" check out this link to a store by myself that I use.

http://www.spybase.com/

Motofixxer

Here is a great video of Officers working on a wrong presumption about ID, then calling a LT and getting educated. All captured on video, with an apology while remaining polite and professional.

[video=youtube;n8pkKS66UgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pkKS66UgU&feature=related[/video]

davidmcbeth

Banned
Here is a great video of Officers working on a wrong presumption about ID, then calling a LT and getting educated. All captured on video, with an apology while remaining polite and professional.

[video=youtube;n8pkKS66UgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8pkKS66UgU&feature=related[/video]

See, they are still hassling them afte about min 1:20 after 1 guy says no problem ... I wouldn't show them any paper ... let them arrest me and then I'll see them in court after suing the via 42 USC 1983. See, they are yap yap yap, I wouldn't respond to them at all...let them arrest you and show them papers in court.

And I'm sure all those workers considered themselves to be doing a bang-up-job.

I have video taped TSA checkpoints and in airports and have not been hassled.

I don't tell cops "I have the right to do this or that" , I just ignore them. Arrest me if they wish. It costs $500 to file a civil suit. Tell your garbage to a judge and jury.