• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recommendation: Avoid Dollar Generals in the Toledo area

Noel Avenelle

I was at the local Dollar General today, which is the 5th or 6th time I've had my firearm with me in this store. When I went to pay, the lady at the register informed me in a very snide tone, that they had a sign, and I couldn't bring that in there. I said ok, and that I would look for the sign upon leaving and I won't bring it anymore (mostly because I won't be bringing myself there anymore).

She continued on very pissily about how they have a sign, and that they have a Class D Permit, because they sell liquor and beer (and at one point saying "I can't believe I have to deal with this"). I informed her that a Class D permit has no legal grounds to prevent me carrying. She went on for a little bit, and I told her I would look for the sign.

So I'm leaving after paying, and I stop to look for the sign. I'm looking for a conspicuous magic sign, and see nothing. She sees me looking and says that it's behind me. So I look behind me, again looking for a magic sign, until I spot it: It is a sign stating the establishment has a Class D license, for the dispensing of liquor, and that possession of a firearm MAY be a felony (the keyword here is dispensing, which they don't (and the fact the law states

"Licensed Class D liquor permit premises if you are consuming beer orintoxicating liquor or are under the inuence. If you are not consuming, you may carry unless there is a conspicuous sign prohibiting carry. Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as the concealed carry licenseholder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
In any event, do not consume beer or intoxicatingliquor before carrying a concealed handgun into a licensed premises."))

MKEgal

Shoulda just left your stack of potential purchases at the counter & left when she told you you weren't welcome, & definitely when she started with the attitude.
Contact the store manager, or better yet write to corporate & explain that their employee is turning away law-abiding customers & practicing law w/o a license, but you will honor the wishes of the corporation as stated by their employee & representative.
(Yeah, right, the hourly cashier is in a position to make corp. policy? Why is it the people with the least power are usually the ones throwing their weight around?)

Truckdriver1975

I've been to hundreds of Dollar General stores and never noticed a sign although since I'm working and can't carry anyway I don't put much effort into looking. Their DC in Marion, IN has anti-gun signs all over the place but I've never seen one at the individual stores. Would be interesting to see if they want your money badly enough to honor the state laws.
The remark about having to "deal with this" sounds like a lot of DG managers.

Last edited:

Noel Avenelle

I've been to hundreds of Dollar General stores and never noticed a sign although since I'm working and can't carry anyway I don't put much effort into looking. Their DC in Marion, IN has anti-gun signs all over the place but I've never seen one at the individual stores. Would be interesting to see if they want your money badly enough to honor the state laws.

You didn't notice the sign, because they don't have one. This store didn't either. They took the generalized state of Ohio notification of possession of firearms they get to post with their Class D license, and think that it's law, and counts as a no guns sign.

Makarov

I would just explain that the signage is incorrect and applies to liquor establishments only. Ive been in Dollar General and have never had an issue.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

Noel-

Did you have your voice recorder on you and recording?

If not, why?

If so, post her comments. We'd love to heear them!

Noel Avenelle

Noel-

Did you have your voice recorder on you and recording?

If not, why?

If so, post her comments. We'd love to heear them!

Funny story that is. I don't have one. Because obviously I like a lot more hassle than I should.

But seriously, I need to get one, or start carrying my Aiptek.

MyWifeSaidYes

Noel-

It's sad you found out this way that these people really exist. Sorry you had to deal with her. :lol:

The recorder won't stop the hassle. It just keeps both sides honest about what was said. She could have simply called the cops and said you threatened to shoot her.

How do you defend yourself from that?

Without witnesses, you're automatically the bad guy.

Skip a meal. Forego that extra box of ammo. Get a recorder. Even if you decide to CC, record anytime you are armed in public.

Truckdriver1975

Spending the night in front of a Dollar General. In a company truck, they share a building with a post office and it's in IL. Three strikes, no 2A for me tonight!