• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good article on recording LEOs

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...be-terminated-when-cops-cameras-dont-mix?lite

'First Amendment rights can be terminated': When cops, cameras don't mix
"Your First Amendment rights can be terminated," yells the Chicago police officer, caught on video right before arresting two journalists outside a Chicago hospital. One, an NBC News photographer, was led away in handcuffs essentially for taking pictures in a public place. He was released only minutes later, but the damage was done. Chicago cops suffered an embarrassing "caught on tape" moment, and civil rights experts who say cops are unfairly cracking down on citizens with cameras had their iconic moment......

Ezerharden

It's ironic that so many law enforcement thank citizens who record crimes to aid in arrest and prosecution. I guess the only criminals they want recorded are the ones that don't wear a uniform or have a badge.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
It's ironic that so many law enforcement thank citizens who record crimes to aid in arrest and prosecution. I guess the only criminals they want recorded are the ones that don't wear a uniform or have a badge.

Well said.

We need in my opinion harsh penalties for civil rights abuses by police. As you heard police do not fear civil suits. Until a honest citizen can sue them personally, these abuses by the criminal element in the police ranks will continue. As it stands now the bad cop says "So what if I violate your rights! Go ahead & sue, it doesn't come out of my pocket."

There 's the problem - zero accountability to their peer's, the law, or the public trust. :banghead:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Ezerharden

Agreed. Until there is personal accountability it will be an uphill battle ending in a cliff and not a nice downside.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Golden indeed! I would even say Platinum ;)

For the many here who wince at the prospect of reading anything longer than a short blurb, here's the cliff notes:

"We thus agree with the district court that, at this
stage in the litigation, the officers are not entitled to qualified
immunity from Glik's Fourth Amendment claim.
III.
For the reasons set forth above, we affirm the district
court's order denying appellants' (LEO'S) claim of qualified immunity.
"
So ordered.

Thanks for posting this Sir. Hope springs eternal. :D