Thread: Man gunned down in Vegas was legally carrying

Man gunned down in Vegas was legally carrying

wasn't this a couple years ago?
    Last edited by HK_dave; 06-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    US Constitution - void where prohibited by law.

Hoplophobia (from the Greek ὅπλον - hoplon, meaning amongst others "arms" and φόβος - phobos, "fear") is defined as the "fear of weapons" and as the "fear of armed citizens".

Popular use of the term

Firearms authority and writer Colonel Jeff Cooper coined the word in 1962 to describe a "mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons." Although not a mental health professional, Cooper employed the term as an alternative to slang terms, stating: "We read of 'gun grabbers' and 'anti-gun nuts' but these slang terms do not [explain this behavior]." Cooper attributed this behavior to an irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user." Writing in an opinion piece, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist Dimitri Vassilaros asserted that the term was intended by Cooper as tongue-in-cheek to mock those who think guns have free will.

The meaning and usage ascribed by Cooper falls outside of the medical definitions of true specific phobias. For example, specific phobias require that the person be aware and acknowledge that their fear is irrational, and usually causes some kind of functional impairment. True medical phobias of firearms and other weapons can exist, but are unusual.

thats what they say the officers maybe had? i don't get it. but is that a new way for the cops to somehow hide behind the fact they murdered a legally carrying civilian? I'm sure this is a old story but could you maybe post some links to what the end results are? did they really stick with that its justified or what is the deal? thats just wrong on so many levels, and if anyone still shops at costco please stop thats just wrong. don't give these guys any more money to keep going.

Yep, it happened a couple years ago. He recieved the death penalty for violating Costco's store policy.

"As he collapsed to the ground, two other officers fired 5 more shots into his back." BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

"FREEZE!"

Yep. Sounds like it could just as easily have been Birk. Only difference is that Erik Scott wasn't a public inebriate.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

This is more reasons I don't like/trust cops.

I was pulled over in Redmond once by two corrupt cops that calmly threatened my life.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    This is more reasons I don't like/trust cops.

I was pulled over in Redmond once by two corrupt cops that calmly threatened my life.
    Invest in a "lipstick" camera or other, discrete video recording device that is easily and quickly activated (I have several, but won't say what they are on an open forum. If we can read it, so can they!).
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_dave View Post
    wasn't this a couple years ago?
    He was 38 years old when he was gunned down in 2010 in the portico of a Las Vegas area Costco store by officers from the Las Vegas Metro Police Department.
    I guess a couple years ago would be about right

Quote Originally Posted by rapgood View Post
    Invest in a "lipstick" camera or other, discrete video recording device that is easily and quickly activated (I have several, but won't say what they are on an open forum. If we can read it, so can they!).
    I carry an audio recorder, did not turn it on for fear of being killed. I was handcuffed for trying to close and lock my car doors after being told to get out.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Do not know why this thread and others like it are being reopened after being locked.

There are existing threads on the subject - see nothing new here.

If a moderator can explain the why of it, we can discuss it. Otherwise I will continue to lock such threads.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.