• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man gunned down in Vegas was legally carrying

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneEchoWolf

Hoplophobia (from the Greek ὅπλον - hoplon, meaning amongst others "arms" and φόβος - phobos, "fear") is defined as the "fear of weapons" and as the "fear of armed citizens".

Popular use of the term

Firearms authority and writer Colonel Jeff Cooper coined the word in 1962 to describe a "mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons." Although not a mental health professional, Cooper employed the term as an alternative to slang terms, stating: "We read of 'gun grabbers' and 'anti-gun nuts' but these slang terms do not [explain this behavior]." Cooper attributed this behavior to an irrational fear of firearms and other forms of weaponry. He stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user." Writing in an opinion piece, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review columnist Dimitri Vassilaros asserted that the term was intended by Cooper as tongue-in-cheek to mock those who think guns have free will.

The meaning and usage ascribed by Cooper falls outside of the medical definitions of true specific phobias. For example, specific phobias require that the person be aware and acknowledge that their fear is irrational, and usually causes some kind of functional impairment. True medical phobias of firearms and other weapons can exist, but are unusual.

thats what they say the officers maybe had? i don't get it. but is that a new way for the cops to somehow hide behind the fact they murdered a legally carrying civilian? I'm sure this is a old story but could you maybe post some links to what the end results are? did they really stick with that its justified or what is the deal? thats just wrong on so many levels, and if anyone still shops at costco please stop thats just wrong. don't give these guys any more money to keep going.

DCKilla

Yep, it happened a couple years ago. He recieved the death penalty for violating Costco's store policy.

rapgood

"As he collapsed to the ground, two other officers fired 5 more shots into his back." BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!

"FREEZE!"

Yep. Sounds like it could just as easily have been Birk. Only difference is that Erik Scott wasn't a public inebriate.

rapgood

This is more reasons I don't like/trust cops.

I was pulled over in Redmond once by two corrupt cops that calmly threatened my life.

Invest in a "lipstick" camera or other, discrete video recording device that is easily and quickly activated (I have several, but won't say what they are on an open forum. If we can read it, so can they!).

Freedom1Man

Invest in a "lipstick" camera or other, discrete video recording device that is easily and quickly activated (I have several, but won't say what they are on an open forum. If we can read it, so can they!).

I carry an audio recorder, did not turn it on for fear of being killed. I was handcuffed for trying to close and lock my car doors after being told to get out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do not know why this thread and others like it are being reopened after being locked.

There are existing threads on the subject - see nothing new here.

If a moderator can explain the why of it, we can discuss it. Otherwise I will continue to lock such threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.