• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Beach Air Show/Freedom Festival

Machine

So I am planning on hitting the air show tomorrow at the ocean-front at 10am when it starts, up thru the end with the Blue Angels. Anyone else going to be there OC'ing? Care to meet up? I figure with that many people out there, the friendly law enforcement will not look to kindly on the OC community, so maybe strength in numbers might be helpful. After all, this is the FREEDOM festival.

If no interest, I am still going, but I will just bake in the sun.

Semper Fi
Joe

Last edited:

TFred

This is the first I'd heard of it, but a little Google time (more than I would have thought necessary!) reveals that it's pretty much a public air show right on the beach. If the beach is publicly owned like most places, I don't see how anyone could have a problem - legally. Probably need to be careful of the private areas around the hotels.

http://www.patrioticfestival.com/blue-angels-air-show/

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It looks as if they might have rented a portion of the beach to the air show - where the VIP (suckers who pay to sit in the shade at an air show) seating is. Depending on the event organizers they might inflict a no-firearms policy, much like the American Red Cross did in the Alexandria City park. But, to remind folks, that restriction was enforcable only in the area where admission was controlled by a ticket purchase (even if ARC called it a donation).

I do not remember if there is a loitering ordinance for the boardwalk, and am too lazy to look it up. Setting up folding chairs on the boardwalk may get you asked to move along, or down to the beach.

Over the years it seems VBPD has understood the laws about OC and not been seen as particularly hostile, and somewhat friendly, towards OC.

Enjoy the show. Wear sunscreen, keep hydrated, and don't complain if you wake up tomorrow with a crick in your neck.

stay safe.

Machine

But the ocean-front board walk is not all private right? The cement area between the hotels and the beach, even including the beach ... isn't that all public? Can parts of the cement board walk be reserved to the "Air Show" , thus baring carry on the boardwalk?

Lincoln7

But the ocean-front board walk is not all private right? The cement area between the hotels and the beach, even including the beach ... isn't that all public? Can parts of the cement board walk be reserved to the "Air Show" , thus baring carry on the boardwalk?

No, the boardwalk is public. The private areas are only the ones owned by businesses, hotels, etc. But that doesn't mean you can't carry on those properties. Just if they ask you to leave and you don't, you could be charged with trespassing. Carry on :)

Machine

Well, I carried on Saturday. No trouble from police, but plenty of stares and comments (from people that did not know I have AMAZING hearing! It was a good time. Only major event to talk about was one of the Blue Angels almost hitting a hotel. I was right under it when it came over, had it not banked that hard, and gone IN BETWEEN two buildings, it was toast. That was the closest call I have ever seen first hand. It was CLOSE.

Oh and for some reason, this loud, druck, ******* felt the need to play the role of the announcer. Ever time the jets would come in for a pass " Here they come! Here they come! WOW, that was a barrel roll!!"

:banghead:...never before have I wanted to look at someone and then point at my gun with one hand and the "shhhhh" sign with the other. lol.

Semper Fi
Joe

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Well, I carried on Saturday. No trouble from police, but plenty of stares and comments (from people that did not know I have AMAZING hearing! It was a good time. Only major event to talk about was one of the Blue Angels almost hitting a hotel. I was right under it when it came over, had it not banked that hard, and gone IN BETWEEN two buildings, it was toast. That was the closest call I have ever seen first hand. It was CLOSE.

Oh and for some reason, this loud, druck, ******* felt the need to play the role of the announcer. Ever time the jets would come in for a pass " Here they come! Here they come! WOW, that was a barrel roll!!"

:banghead:...never before have I wanted to look at someone and then point at my gun with one hand and the "shhhhh" sign with the other. lol.

Semper Fi
Joe

I'll be interested to see if they had a safety stand own immediately after that. The Blue Angels visited Lynchburg last year and their Sunday show was called to a halt about halfway through the routine, the commander stepped down and they skipped several shows including graduation at the Naval Academy while they refreshed their training.

Red82

Working down at the oceanfront I have gotten to know quite a few officers and most of them are quite supportive or at least knowledgeable to carry rights. Several WANT more people carrying. I was stopped once for fishing where I shouldn't have been and the officer (one I didn't know) asked me why I carried. After explaining to him he was like if I wasn't a cop I'd carry still. People are crazy! and laughed. I see a handful of people open carry or CC as well. Always makes me happy. Even the guy in the tight under armor shirt CCing his pistol and mags. lol

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks for sharing your perspective and experience with the Oceanfront officers. It's good to hear.

Virginia Beach has come full circle in the last 50 years.

Before it was what it now is and shouldn't be...the Police Department was very small. In the Summer, they hired Law Students from William and Mary as Summer Cops. They were pleasant and easy to get along with.

Then the PD decided to grow and hire a lot of Military Retirees. A**holes to the last one. The big thing with guns was to arrest anyone that had one. They even charged people with brandishing for having a rifle or shotgun in a gun rack inside the vehicle.

Now they've moved back to complying with both the law and constitution. It would be nice if Norfolk would follow suit.