• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hb1192 amending the castle doctrine

J_Oliver

It hasn't even been a year! One step forwards and 10 back! I urge everyone to immediatly contact your reps and let them know that WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS... I for one certainly will be... hopefully there's not enough support, which I have a strong feeling that there won't be. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

PrestonW

Ok, not sure if it's the lack of sleep, but I'm feeling really dumb on this one and know all the cylinders are not firing in my thick head.. Could someone please be kind enough to laymen's term the change?

Nascar24Glock

Ok, not sure if it's the lack of sleep, but I'm feeling really dumb on this one and know all the cylinders are not firing in my thick head.. Could someone please be kind enough to laymen's term the change?

If I'm reading it right, it repeals a couple of things. One, it repeals the part of the law that says you may stand your ground. This would enable a prosecutor to attempt to argue that "you should have retreated first." Two, it repeals the civil immunity. This means that, even if you act in self defense and no charges are filed, you can still be sued and have to prove your innocence in civil court.

PrestonW

If I'm reading it right, it repeals a couple of things. One, it repeals the part of the law that says you may stand your ground. This would enable a prosecutor to attempt to argue that "you should have retreated first." Two, it repeals the civil immunity. This means that, even if you act in self defense and no charges are filed, you can still be sued and have to prove your innocence in civil court.

If that's the case, then I was on the right track and it just wasn't clicking for me. Either way I plan on contacting my representative over this change, I just want to make sure my coffee deprived mind grasps it first.

cricketdad

It hasn't even been a year! One step forwards and 10 back! I urge everyone to immediatly contact your reps and let them know that WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS... I for one certainly will be... hopefully there's not enough support, which I have a strong feeling that there won't be. Thanks for the heads up.

Hold your horses.
We have a somewhat friendly GA. The only ones that need to be contacted, er, harassed are the D's that sponsored it.

J_Oliver

I've fired enough emails off concerning gun rights that I've received phone calls from a few. Hence the reason I said I feel that's its unlikely, however likely it is. Are they repealing the part that gave them all benefits as well? NO? Something told me they wouldn't... When I send emails, I have a few contacts in the GA that I send individual letters to, but I have them all grouped and send mass blasts to them.

Dreamer

The repealing of civil immunity in NC is nothing short of OPEN SUPPORT for the criminal element, and ANYONE supporting this bill needs to be called out in public as being "criminal-friendly".

If a self-defense shooting is ruled "justified", under current NC law, the survivors of the deceased criminal CANNOT sue you for shooting them. As NC law stands, then when someone invaded your home, or tries to rape you and you shoot them legally and lawfully, if you kill them, their family can't sue you for losses. If they live, they cannot sue you for injury.

If this were repealed, then they could sue you.

Repeal of Civil Immunity is evil, and is nothing less than active, open, and bald-faces support and protection of the criminal element in NC.

Unleash the hounds, boys...

Last edited:

rotorhead

Personally I believe it's an election year bid for Democrats to get their little things on record so they can turn to the voters in the fall and say "hey, we tried". I think even they know it will fail in session, but that's never stopped people before when it comes to self-serving bids to gather votes.

dashowdy

You are right on rotorhead this is a attempt by democrats to say" hey we tried this so you should vote for us." What is the sad part is that there is a part of america that believes in criminal rights, these are the same people who believe williford should get life in prison when in fact he should be drug outside the courthouse and hanged.

PrestonW

In my opinion. Election year bid or not, never underestimate the the depth of stupidity that can happen, voices should still be heard about this attempt even if there is no real support for this bill. It is when we assume all is safe and become complacent, that things like this can slip into effect. We have no idea how many are contacting their reps to support this bill.

bc.cruiser

In my opinion. Election year bid or not, never underestimate the the depth of stupidity that can happen, voices should still be heard about this attempt even if there is no real support for this bill. It is when we assume all is safe and become complacent, that things like this can slip into effect. We have no idea how many are contacting their reps to support this bill.

Can we count ourselves among those who contact our reps to give voice to continued support of the current law?