• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady Bunch to push 'May' issue permit, due to rash of gun crime

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...seek-one-word-change-in-WA-law-156510375.html

"There are some people who should not own a gun. It can be a devastating thing,” said Nina Schumacher, niece of one of the victims in the shooting at Café Racer.

"In this case police had no choice but to issue a dangerous person a license to carry loaded guns in public,” said Daniel Vice with anti-gun group the Brady Foundation.

The foundation wants lawmakers to replace a single word in the law which says police agencies “shall” issue concealed weapons permits to qualifying people. They want it to say “may” issue – giving police an option that they may or may not issue a permit.

Last edited:

1911er

One word

I have three words for them GO TO H%ll
If thats the case they want to push since there have been crooked politicians we should fire them all, A bad cop fire all of them, A mayor That does things illegal they should all be fired.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Not gonna happen....

Article 1 Section 24 -
The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired..................

Kildars

The changes proposed by Brady wouldn’t have stopped the gun sale, but denying Stawicki a concealed carry permit would have made it illegal for him to walk around with a gun tucked under his clothes, just as he did Wednesday morning.

Because he would have reconsidered his killing spree because he didn't want to break THAT law.

tombrewster421

Forget LA, go to Chicago and see how NO issue is working.

Yup, 25 shot in Chicago last weekend.
http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-chicago-shootings-25-shot-overnight-in-chicago-20120527,0,5184162.story

Last edited:

Knowledge

I cannot stand the "punish the whole group" mentality. Besides, it wouldn't stop anything. "A license to carry loaded guns" CPL don't give you that right anyways, clearly they don't know the laws. Brady Bunch of Idiots. "Would have made it illegal for him to walk around with a gun tucked under his clothes" Really, because surely he was concerned about breaking the law.

Ironside

Questions fo the Brady Bunch

Did this man have prior mental problems? Was he a mental patient? Did he have a record of mental illness?

Did he lie on the FFL form to obtain a firearm?

Did the state check his mental records prior to issueing a concealed permit?

Who is really at fault here?

Answers required ...

Kildars

Did this man have prior mental problems? Was he a mental patient? Did he have a record of mental illness?

No.

Did he lie on the FFL form to obtain a firearm?

I haven't filled one out in a long time. If the questions are have you ever been involuntary committed or convicted of a crime regarding DV or any felony, then he answered truthfully no.
Did the state check his mental records prior to issueing a concealed permit?

There were no records.
Who is really at fault here?

I'd argue the justice system. He had MULTIPLE arrests for assaults, malicious mischief, domestic violence and yet the charges were dismissed every time.

hermannr

No.

I haven't filled one out in a long time. If the questions are have you ever been involuntary committed or convicted of a crime regarding DV or any felony, then he answered truthfully no.

There were no records.

I'd argue the justice system. He had MULTIPLE arrests for assaults, malicious mischief, domestic violence and yet the charges were dismissed every time.

However, as we all know, not all "arrests" are something that can be charged because it was just a bully being a bully to another purson. IMHO: An arrest that does not result in a CONVICTION is nothing more than harassment, no matter what the charge.

Now, this guys FAMILY said he needed help...that I could find to be something to listen to...but care must be taken there too...I have a SIL (and his whole family) that think I am crazy (for having so many guns, and even suggesting that his teenager go shooting with me....so there you go.

Kildars

However, as we all know, not all "arrests" are something that can be charged because it was just a bully being a bully to another purson. IMHO: An arrest that does not result in a CONVICTION is nothing more than harassment, no matter what the charge.

Now, this guys FAMILY said he needed help...that I could find to be something to listen to...but care must be taken there too...I have a SIL (and his whole family) that think I am crazy (for having so many guns, and even suggesting that his teenager go shooting with me....so there you go.

I agree with you that not all arrests are something that can be charged. Generally though, there was physical evidence (destruction of property, bruises on the girl) but she recanted her testimony so the prosecution dropped the case, they didn't want to risk their win/loss ratio. However this guy seemed to have a pattern of violent and aggressive behavior.

I'm in the belief that when you live in a free country there are inherent risks, not law can make everyone safe from everything.

Jeff Hayes

I'm in the belief that when you live in a free country there are inherent risks, not law can make everyone safe from everything.

There in lies the problem, a large segment of society keep attempting to shelter everyone from everything.

Its past time to dig in our heals and say enough is enough.

I prefer to live dangerously free rather than safely caged.

Wolfebane

I honestly and truly do not understand how the left and the anti-gun lobby seriously thinks that curtailing law abiding citizens right to bear arms is going to stop criminals (who don't care about permits) from committing crimes.

I have asked many individuals to explain this to me and I have not yet gotten a serious or straight answer.

Jeff Hayes

I honestly and truly do not understand how the left and the anti-gun lobby seriously thinks that curtailing law abiding citizens right to bear arms is going to stop criminals (who don't care about permits) from committing crimes.

I have asked many individuals to explain this to me and I have not yet gotten a serious or straight answer.

Its about control not guns or crime IMHO. You will not get a straight answer form the "useful idiots" because they are simply repeating what they have been told.

Last edited:

Difdi

Exactly. If simply being arrested was enough to deny right to bear arms, no questions asked...then the first time the police saw you lawfully open carrying and arrested you, the problem (from their perspective) would go away forever. Likewise, if people saying you shouldn't have rights is enough to deny you your unalienable rights, then you can vote anyone off the island. Who needs a Constitution anyway, when we have Democracy in action? :banghead:

I've never understood this one myself. I mean, if an individual is intent on committing a crime that carries life without parole or even the death penalty as punishments, why on Earth would a law that carries a lesser punishment deter him? Even if he had been denied a CPL, he could have OCed or concealed his gun unlawfully. After all, we don't call people criminals because of their deep, profound and abiding respect for the law, nor do we call people criminals for their refusal to ever break a law.

Last edited:

Thor80

I think we should outlaw cars. I'm pretty sure more people were hurt or killed today by car wrecks than gun violence. Heck maybe we should just outlaw living since there is only ONE certain outcome for all of us anyway....