Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for OC in ATL/MARTA

Campaign Veteran

Advice for OC in ATL/MARTA

I am headed to Atlanta for the first time in many years...certainly the first time since I began regularly carrying a firearm for personal protection. I do have an AL license, which is recognized by GA. My wife and I plan to check out Lennox Mall, the Dekalb Farmers Market, and some other sites in the area over a 3-day perdiod. Since I'm not from GA, I'm soliciting any advice on OC there, particularly in the ATL area and in the MARTA system. TIA

Open Carry in GA

Neo: While it is legal for licensees to open carry in GA, the MARTA police will not ignore you.
    See: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2009...in-marta-case/

I suggest you carry concealed and expect to be detained if it is exposed. You will have
    an affirmative defense in that case and probably sent on your way. This isn't Nevada or New York,
    it is someplace in between.

Campaign Veteran
    Do you mean carry concealed the whole time while in Atlanta or just when using MARTA?

Quote Originally Posted by IHMSAman View Post
    Neo: While it is legal for licensees to open carry in GA, the MARTA police will not ignore you.
    See: http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/2009...in-marta-case/

I suggest you carry concealed and expect to be detained if it is exposed. You will have
    an affirmative defense in that case and probably sent on your way. This isn't Nevada or New York,
    it is someplace in between.

My personal opinion is to not use marta. Get a rental car or drive yourself. If that is not an option for you i would conceal while using marta and conceal in private before you go to marta. So busy body bob dont have a chance to place a mwag call on you.

Campaign Veteran
    OK...It's understood that CC is the order of the day for MARTA.

How about the other locations I mentioned i.e. Lennox Square, Dekalb Farmers Market, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    OK...It's understood that CC is the order of the day for MARTA.

How about the other locations I mentioned i.e. Lennox Square, Dekalb Farmers Market, etc?
    I would have no issues OCing on Marta. Dekalb Farmers Market has a "no guns" policy. I CC when we shop there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    I would have no issues OCing on Marta. Dekalb Farmers Market has a "no guns" policy. I CC when we shop there.
    Did you mean, "I think I would have no issues..." or "I have had no issues..."?

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    Did you mean, "I think I would have no issues..." or "I have had no issues..."?
    Based on multiple experiences of others, I believe I would have no interactions. What I really meant was that should I need to use MARTA, I would OC as I normally do.

i oc every time i use marta asked once long time for license carry anyway you want
    Last edited by mark5019; 06-05-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

The biggest thing is how many officers know that GA honors a Alabama permit? Keep it concealed and keep it moving.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Do we allow the ignorance of others to control our actions?

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Micky Mouse View Post
    The biggest thing is how many officers know that GA honors a Alabama permit? Keep it concealed and keep it moving.

So you give up your rights because someone is ignorant?

Campaign Veteran
    Are you seriously suggesting that GA LEOs do not know which states have reciprocity with their state? Perhaps I need to print out the current GA DPS & Law webpages showing states with reciprocity & keep them with me.

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...375811,00.html
    http://law.ga.gov/00/channel_title/0...770607,00.html

Neo:

The Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transportation Authority "MARTA" is Aware that Georgia Authorizes Carry on Public Transportation and on Public Transportation Terminals by Persons who meet The Requirements of Georgia Code 16-11-126(g), as Preempted by Georgia Code 16-11-173(b)(1).

Please View The MARTA Website, Entitled "GUN LAW INFORMATION": http://www.itsmarta.com/police/police-faqs.aspx

aadvark

Carry openly if you want to. MARTA cops arrested a guy for accidentally showing his concealed gun which prompted the legislature to remove public transportation and the non sterile areas of the airport from being a "prohibited" place to carry. I don't ride MARTA but would have no fear of openly carrying my guns; if they want to make an issue of it see em' in court.

lenox mall cc or be told to leave
    nam vet

http://www.itsmarta.com/CustomerCodeofConduct.pdf

See Section H. Although I'm not clear why in H1 knives larger than 5" are forbidden, but firearms for those who have a GWCL are ok. I thought the GWCL covered knives, swords, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NWGA45 View Post

See Section H. Although I'm not clear why in H1 knives larger than 5" are forbidden, but firearms for those who have a GWCL are ok. I thought the GWCL covered knives, swords, etc.
    5 inches or more must have a georgia weapons license under 5 its up to the town i beleave
    nam vet

Quote Originally Posted by NWGA45 View Post

It is a particular quirk of the "hijacking" code section. Just another one of those little things that don't get cleaned up when other parts of the code are changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    5 inches or more must have a georgia weapons license under 5 its up to the town i beleave
    Knives are preempted now.

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    lenox mall cc or be told to leave
    The Patricians who shop at Lenox Square Mall think they live and abide by NY and CA rules not Georgia's; they sometimes have to be reminded by the legislature and lawsuits this is still the South.

On 1 July 2014 a new law should be in effect, it states that police officers cannot legally ask a person about his or her openly carried weapon(s). This provision includes MARTA's police force too.

In this particular instance we may want to say exactly what the law says rather than use colloquial language...
    The bill when it becomes effective will add a new Code Section, OCGA 16-11-137.
    (a) Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, or if such person is exempt from having a weapons carry license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-130 or subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127.1, he or she shall have proof of his or her exemption in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable provision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2.

(b) A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license.

(c) A person convicted of a violation of this Code section shall be fined not more than $10.00 if he or she produces in court his or her weapons carry license, provided that it was valid at the time of his or her arrest, or produces proof of his or her exemption.
    An officer is still free to inquire as to why you are exercising your rights to carry, but he may not detain you solely for that purpose. If he stops a person for spitting on the sidewalk, he may ask about firearms in his efforts to find some illegality to take action against. He can also ask about it in the the course of a consensual encounter (which one is free to ignore) but he lacks authority to demand its display.

Essentially what this does is bring licensing for weapons carry (GWL) closely into line with licensing for driving (GDL).
    In both instances a license must be carried when performing a licensed activity
    In both instances failure to have the license in one's possession is a $10 fine, waived if said license is produced in court.
    In both instances an officer is prohibited from stopping someone performing the licensed activity solely to ascertain possession of a license.

One glaring difference, OCGA 40-5-29 mandates that a GDL be displayed upon request of an officer (or face the $10 fine) whereas OCGA 16-11-137 contains no such authority to demand the display of a GWL. (And I'd take the ticket just for the pleasure of having Officer Friendly show up in court just to have me produce it and walk away scot free.)
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 03-25-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    ..snipped..
    Thank you. I needed that explanation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast