• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ok where can I shoot outside in a safe area away from people in this state?

porterhouse83

I refuse to go to a public range because the people in those places make me fear for my life. I just love being swept over and over again by the ones who rent guns and are only there to shoot for the novelty of it. When some girl points a gun at her boyfriend and makes "pew pew" noises it's far from adorable. If you live near Wheat Ridge and know of a place please let me know. Back in Maryland and PA I could just shoot all day in the middle of no where and those states are smaller than this one. Not being familiar with Colorado as I have not lived here long I do not know many places.

Thanks

P.S I am very good at cleaning up after myself including collecting as many of my brass casings as I can.

mahkagari

When some girl points a gun at her boyfriend and makes "pew pew" noises it's far from adorable.

WTF did this happen????

To answer your question, any "safe" place in National Forest land. I.e. 150 feet away from roads/trials/buildings with a good backstop. You may need to hike a bit.

nkunnen

Not just anywhere is good to shoot. There are places on the front range that are closed to shooting because of idiots and their trash.....the closest to denver, that it is still legal to shoot is about 45 to a hour away... i dont blame you for wanting to not go to public ranges, there are a lot of idiots around. Your not going to find a lot of info on actual locations to shoot because people have their secret places and they dont want them over run by idiots that leave their trash everywhere they go.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like the new guy in town needs a shooting buddy. Somebody set up a meet & greet to check him out?

stay safe.

porterhouse83

Sounds like the new guy in town needs a shooting buddy. Somebody set up a meet & greet to check him out?

stay safe.

I have met M- Talisman or however you spell his handle lol, and since9. M took me and my girl on a nice outing to Colorado springs, and on through Victor. I had never been up that way before.

mahkagari

It happens about every third time I go to an indoor range here.

I've taken several dates for shooting lessons early in the relationship and none has been that dumb. Can't say I've ever met a pair of heels that long that would make me put up with such idiocy.

porterhouse83

I've taken several dates for shooting lessons early in the relationship and none has been that dumb. Can't say I've ever met a pair of heels that long that would make me put up with such idiocy.

The few times I have seen it done the boyfriends just laughed along with it. I have a good idea of what was on their mind instead of the unsafe situation they were in.

Bellum_Intus

Since9 and I talked today about a cookout on my property out in Rush, I do have a 1 lane range out back i'd be willing to share with those I've met..

We're discussing it (a cookout) now.. May be a few weeks/ a month out though..

--Rob

Sig229

I have met M- Talisman or however you spell his handle lol, and since9. M took me and my girl on a nice outing to Colorado springs, and on through Victor. I had never been up that way before.

Go check out the Pawnee Grasslands off of rt. 85.

I used to shoot there all the time. But you have to shoot in the designated places and make sure no cattle are around.

jhco50

But...did he buy the coffee? He backed out of our coffee get together. Since, if you see this, call me. LOL!

jhco50

Since9 and I talked today about a cookout on my property out in Rush, I do have a 1 lane range out back i'd be willing to share with those I've met..

--Rob

Do you know a Lyle Meyers out there? PM me if you do.

M-Taliesin

--Rob

Howdy Amigo!
I'd love to visit Rush and take part in a cookum-up party.
And I've got a whole box of .45acp I'd love to push through my new 1911.

Meanwhile, I anticipate hosting a couple of meets in the next month or so.

Hope to see you at one of those.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

But...did he buy the coffee? He backed out of our coffee get together. Since, if you see this, call me. LOL!

Howdy Pard!
Hey.... that's what happens when you schedule a meet-up when I've got work scheduled. You know I'd be there otherwise.
Especially with a new pistol to show off!!!

Meanwhile, how about one at a day and time I can make. I'd be there in an Irish minute... or as long as it takes to get there from Aurora!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

MTBWolf

Hey all, been a few but work has been a bear lately with training, but when I do have time on the weekend I head up to Woodland Park. There is an area about 20 mins north on Hwy 67 that is out in the middle of NO WHERE and alot of people use the area to shoot. Last weekend I was up with some friends shooting my new Rock Island M5 Marine Tactical shotgun and numerous other firearms present. But the area is an excellent area to shoot off some rounds and relax. Not to far from the area we were in, someone had an automatic burning ALOT of ammo. A friend at work says every once in awhile a guy in the area brings out his Barrett 50cal to cut lose on. Everyone I have met up there is very nice and pleasant to chat with and also to see what everyone else is shooting these days. I have attached a link from google to give everyone an idea where I am taking about. If anyone wishes to meet up this weekend up there just PM me and we can head. I will be up in Woodland Park this weekend looking at a house I'm looking at buying so I will be in that area about 8am that day. If you decide to go out alone, there are many areas to shoot at in that area, you can tell as soon as you pull off the road where everyone shoots at. But hopefully that gives everyone another area to go shoot some rounds off at. I know of some more areas up in the mountains off of Old Gold Camp also to go shooting at, but lately it seems alot more people are using the area's for things other than shooting.

MTBWolf

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Woodland+Park,+CO+80863&daddr=CO-67+N&hl=en&ll=39.055451,-105.104141&spn=0.263936,0.676346&sll=39.143358,-105.127251&sspn=0.008238,0.021136&geocode=Fdn_UgIdXvW8-SlBvg3Fy6oUhzFvYb-VdC4fzQ%3BFTFLVQIde--7-Q&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=11

porterhouse83

Hey all, been a few but work has been a bear lately with training, but when I do have time on the weekend I head up to Woodland Park. There is an area about 20 mins north on Hwy 67 that is out in the middle of NO WHERE and alot of people use the area to shoot. Last weekend I was up with some friends shooting my new Rock Island M5 Marine Tactical shotgun and numerous other firearms present. But the area is an excellent area to shoot off some rounds and relax. Not to far from the area we were in, someone had an automatic burning ALOT of ammo. A friend at work says every once in awhile a guy in the area brings out his Barrett 50cal to cut lose on. Everyone I have met up there is very nice and pleasant to chat with and also to see what everyone else is shooting these days. I have attached a link from google to give everyone an idea where I am taking about. If anyone wishes to meet up this weekend up there just PM me and we can head. I will be up in Woodland Park this weekend looking at a house I'm looking at buying so I will be in that area about 8am that day. If you decide to go out alone, there are many areas to shoot at in that area, you can tell as soon as you pull off the road where everyone shoots at. But hopefully that gives everyone another area to go shoot some rounds off at. I know of some more areas up in the mountains off of Old Gold Camp also to go shooting at, but lately it seems alot more people are using the area's for things other than shooting.

MTBWolf

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Woodland+Park,+CO+80863&daddr=CO-67+N&hl=en&ll=39.055451,-105.104141&spn=0.263936,0.676346&sll=39.143358,-105.127251&sspn=0.008238,0.021136&geocode=Fdn_UgIdXvW8-SlBvg3Fy6oUhzFvYb-VdC4fzQ%3BFTFLVQIde--7-Q&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=11
I may have to give that place a hard look. Thanks for posting bud :)

JamesB

MTBWolf

Looks like the same one that I have frequented. I've taken my Tannerite up there and had fun too.

Half Live

If you don't mind a little drive or want to make it a day thing and see the state some, I like going down to the Chaffee County Range between Buena Vista and Salida on US285.