• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti 2A gun shops

twoskinsonemanns

Just curious if it's common nation wide for gun shops to have posted signs stating no one is allowed to OC or CC inside?

It seems most of the shops in my area have these.
I recently had a conversation with one of the RSO and NRA certified class instructors over at Peacemaker National Training Center here in WV.
He asked me if I had thought of becoming a member, considering all the time my son and I spend at the range. We had a nice conversation in which I told him that if they decided to take the anti 2A signs off the door (no OC or CC guns allowed unless you were a RSO) I would certainly consider it but not before. We talked for quite a while but in the end his point was people in general cannot be trusted to handle firearms except under direct supervision. I pointed out that he himself gives CCW classes that people use to go get their license to CC. He told me I should volunteer to RSO some time so I could watch the stupid way people handle their firearms. They don't want the liability.

I saw the sames signs at Valley Guns II the few times I was there. (haven't been there in a LONG time, not friendly people)

Anyway are most gun shops around the country the way they seem to be here in WV?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I find it in a lot of shops.

Many people are risk avoiders at all cost. Rather than applying risk management techniques (which would tell you an unhandled, holstered and/or concealed firearm CANNOT hurt anyone) they apply avoidance, thinking that "no guns" equals "no accidents".

And you can talk until you're blue in the face; it won't change things.

The range I shoot at has a no-loaded-firearms policy, but it's convenient to go there, whereas I wouldn't go as often if it wasn't nearby. However, when I want to buy something, I go to a different dealer who doesn't have that policy.

Daylen

Its easy to fix, don't go to such places. I've never seen such a thing. The closest is the Gander Mountain sign that indicates firearms should be secured at the door, with an exemption for lawfully carried SD weapons that remain in the holster.

nonameisgood

In Texas, I frequently see signs which purport to prohibit loaded and/or uncased firearms. But the way our law reads, carried (concealed only in this state) are only prohibited if certain language is used - they always use different language to allow licensed, concealed carry, without saying it. Only those who know the law understand which signs are meaningful. It is a trick that works for us. In an open carry state, without requirements for specially worded signs, I'm not sure how you would sort people. The "special sign" requirement makes a "no guns" sign analogous to a sign which reads "if you don't have a license for that thing, don't carry it here".

Dreamer

Interestingly enough carry prohibitions seem to be more common in locally-owned small shops. Big chains like Gander Mountain and Cabelas are VERY OC/CC friendly.

I think it is insurance companies and lawyers that are causing this. They tell these small business owners that they need to post or they might be liable is some fumble-fingered yuck-a-puck "accidentally" shoots someone in their store. Most of the owners I've talked to in small, locally-pwned stores that are posted are VERY pro-2A, and have told me that it's because of insurance.

Shakespeare was right...

Brian D.

I don't believe that gun shops/ranges really want to have anti- 2A policies with regard to carry. But between the insurance companies they must use and the lowest-common-denominator-of-stupid customer/gun owner that occasionally walks in and causes a problem, sometimes such rules are what the rest of us are stuck with.

The range I go to has BIG signs on and next to the front doors which state to the effect of 'If the gun isn't in a holster, case, or box, don't bring it in. And do not handle uncased firearms without permission.' I get there once a week or so and in four years there have been three (I think) incidents concurrent with my visits in which guns were brought inside from the lot uncased and without the action open. Wasn't me who had to take corrective action, dunno if any of them turned out to be loaded.

merc460

Those shops don't bother so much. What DOES, is when you walk in and the employees are carrying loaded holstered weapons! That burns my toast! Who the hell said they are more capable at being in charge of a loaded weapon than me and how do I know? It is the same principle to not let the public come in carrying. I have seen and talked to some real MORONS (employees) at gun shops.

twoskinsonemanns

Those shops don't bother so much. What DOES, is when you walk in and the employees are carrying loaded holstered weapons! That burns my toast! Who the hell said they are more capable at being in charge of a loaded weapon than me and how do I know? It is the same principle to not let the public come in carrying. I have seen and talked to some real MORONS (employees) at gun shops.

Yeah right there with you. The RSOs at National Peacemeaker Training Center in Gerrardstown, WV quite often carry holstered sidearms... It's kinda a slap in the face. They are pretty convenient to me but I've been giving more of my business to 340 Defense in Rippon, WV. Certainly NPTC won't be getting my membership, members aren't even permitted to OC/CC, until they replace their signs with something like this:
NHE-16347_300.gif

gobbly

Never seen such a thing here in Utah. Out of the 4 or 5 gun shops I frequent semi-regularly, I have never had a problem OCing. The closest I came was with a shotgun I had taken in to get their opinion on a malfunction. There was an employee who seemed to follow me around the store the whole time, despite the shotgun being in a case, and them knowing it wasn't functioning. Then again, I could have misinterpreted what was going on.

I imagine in my neck of the woods such a policy would severely impact their business. People around here care deeply for their 2a rights, which are well protected by our state constitution and related laws. We quickly identify those places that restrict our rights, and actively boycott them. This might not be a problem for some businesses, but when your clientele is largely the people who care, it can have a significant impact.

Last edited:

Ca Patriot

There is a gun shop right next to me that will only sell certain LEGAL items to LEO only. Items like hollow points and body armor.

I never support shops like those. This one is owned by either current or former LEO.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Many people are risk avoiders at all cost. Rather than applying risk management techniques (which would tell you an unhandled, holstered and/or concealed firearm CANNOT hurt anyone) they apply avoidance, thinking that "no guns" equals "no accidents".

A lot of these policies are set by either the lawyers, or the insurance companies. "Oh, you own a gun store! Ok, in order to insure your company, our underwriters require you to post 'No Firearms' signs at all entrances to your firearms-riddled store..."

twoskinsonemanns

A lot of these policies are set by either the lawyers, or the insurance companies. "Oh, you own a gun store! Ok, in order to insure your company, our underwriters require you to post 'No Firearms' signs at all entrances to your firearms-riddled store..."

That's a plausible point that others have also brought up but it doesn't seem to be universal since lots of gun shops (not in my area) don't have the signs. The range I was referring to certainly never hinted that as a reason for the signs but that doesn't exclude it.

twoskinsonemanns

There is a gun shop right next to me that will only sell certain LEGAL items to LEO only. Items like hollow points and body armor.

I never support shops like those. This one is owned by either current or former LEO.

That's funny. When a buddy of mine told me about an FFL in my area I went on their website and saw this:

"The Federal Government and several states have enacted gun control laws that restrict the public from owning and possessing certain types of firearms. Law-enforcement agencies are typically exempt from these restrictions. EFI, LLC does not recognize law-enforcement exemptions to local, state, and federal gun control laws. If a product that we manufacture is not legal for a private citizen to own in a jurisdiction, we will not sell that product to a law-enforcement agency in that jurisdiction."

I was very impressed by it. Needless to say I hope to give them my business as much as possible.
They are very cool people.

If anyone is interested in anything they do I highly recommend them.

http://www.extremefirepower.com

paul@paul-fisher.com

In WI, the only place that doesn't allow oc is bob and rocco gun shows.

Not gun store related but the Wisconsin GOP passed a resolution stating they won't generally have events at places that do not allow firearms.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

H

Herr Heckler Koch

... the Wisconsin GOP passed a resolution stating they won't generally have events at places that do not allow firearms.
Typical repugnant weasel-words, will not generally - but will particularly do what ever tickles their fancy parts.

Steeler-gal

I find it in a lot of shops.

And you can talk until you're blue in the face; it won't change things.

The range I shoot at has a no-loaded-firearms policy, but it's convenient to go there, whereas I wouldn't go as often if it wasn't nearby. However, when I want to buy something, I go to a different dealer who doesn't have that policy.

One of the ranges/shops near me has that rule. I've CC'd and OC'd there without unloading and no one ever says a thing. Why? Because they aren't looking to see who's in compliance with their rule. That's my opinion anyway.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me up if you need an class, RSO or safety briefing

twoskinsonemanns

Thanks for the replies guys. It doesn't necessarily seem to be the norm in most areas and that's good to know.
I'm hoping to find a closer place that isn't so anti 2A.