• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock 45 auto 30sf or 36 for carry

T

TheTortyl

I am new to this forum, and have recently taken the ct NRA course from Brk913. I recently moved from ma and have previously been a m&p series enthusiast. I am looking to purchase a carry pistol and now that I will be able to own glock and am looking to start adding them to my collection. I would like to carry 45 caliber. I have been looking into the 30sf double stck 10+1 and then I came across the G36 that is single stack 6+1. For carry purposes does anyone have experience with the G36 considering its Glocks only single stack style.

Looking for some opinions since I never carried while in ma but plan to make it a daily accessory when leaving my house as soon as my permit comes in.

dogsandhogs

I have a G36 w/ night sights.

I like it a lot. I'm a small-frame guy, and it fits my hand very well. I'm accurate with it, and it carries very comfortably. If you're not in a hurry, look around the gun shops in central CT. You can save about $100 to $125 on a used one in excellent condition.

T

TheTortyl

I just submitted my pp app may 30th. I was planning on purchasing a m&p45c when I resided in ma but now my options have grown here in ct. I will look around for the next 8 weeks to see if I can find a deal. I am trying to get everything together for the day I can pick up my temp pp. I am gonna call out of work to get my permanent pp and pick up my carry gear.

Before when I lived 5 min from the S&W retail store I was a avid cust of M&P guns. 9mm,45,AR15, walther P22 all within a year. I prepaid for a M&P45c back in February before it was even available in ma. Got it at 30% off at presidents day sale. Been waiting for it for 3 months to be release as ma compliant an now I am in CT and their GunRange and Retail Store has been closed for 1 month due to protacal changes. Fortunately I have a buddy that is going to purchase and refund me the $.

JohnnyO

The G30 & the G21 have very similar recoil characteristics. The G36 is snappier, probably due to the narrower grip and less slide mass.

In the past the G36 was known to be finicky when it came to feeding rounds. Not all G36s but enough where you could find people complaining about them on the web. I have the G21 & G30 and never saw the need to go slimmer and get a G36.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I am new to this forum, and have recently taken the ct NRA course from Brk913. I recently moved from ma and have previously been a m&p series enthusiast. I am looking to purchase a carry pistol and now that I will be able to own glock and am looking to start adding them to my collection. I would like to carry 45 caliber. I have been looking into the 30sf double stck 10+1 and then I came across the G36 that is single stack 6+1. For carry purposes does anyone have experience with the G36 considering its Glocks only single stack style.

Looking for some opinions since I never carried while in ma but plan to make it a daily accessory when leaving my house as soon as my permit comes in.

I've owned and carried my G36 since 2002 and in my opinion it is my best concealed carry gun. I bought it when I lived in Florida for concealed carry and carried it daily for about five years. It weighs about 27 ounces with 6 rounds in the magazine and is very concealable. It shoots well with all the ammunition types I have tried (Ball, JHP, Berry's & Rainier copper plated) and I've never had any FTF, FTE or any malfunctions of any kind or firearm failure(s). I've put close to 5,000 rounds through it and the only things I've done to it are change the recoil guide rod assembly with an aftermarket steel assembly (still 17 lbf spring) and add the Pierce Grip Extender to two of my four magazines. The Pierce Grip Extender for the G36 adds one round capacity to the magazine and provides a longer grip. My hand does not extend below the bottom of the grip when using the Pierce modified magazines.

When I wore it concealed in Florida I used a Bianchi leather (#5 I think) holster which for me was perfect for concealed carry. Now that I reside in Wisconsin I have been wearing my G36 openly in a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster. Another great (concealed carry) holster for it I've found is the Bianchi Evader which is a retention lock type holster.

One thing I should point out about the G36: It is the red headed step child of the Glock family and aftermarket parts that fit all the other Glock handguns most likely will NOT fit the G36. If you want to modify your Glock extensively then I suggest going with the Glock 30 or even the 21.

Me? I'm keeping my G36. I can wear it all day (and I do) and it doesn't pull my side down like a brick. It's nice knowing I have a reliable, light weight .45 on my side that doesn't make me feel like a pack mule.

Good luck with your choice of handgun! You won't go wrong with a Glock. ;)