• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How far out do you practice your handgun work?

rodbender

I shoot to 25 feet range. Anything beyond that would probably not be considered self defense. As far as what Grape said about others being shot or shot at, I agree.

Beretta92FSLady

Ooooo, I just love these "what if" threads! No end of entertainment!

I suggest you start practicing with your pistol out to 100 feet! Because you never know if and when you're going to be bopping along and need to shoot someone from long distance, who's probably moving around a lot, and there are probably lots of things and people behind him that you don't want to shoot in case you miss!

Ooodles of fun!

I think it's wonderful that in your world such things aren't even a consideration.

j4l

I think it's wonderful that in your world such things aren't even a consideration.

Lots of folks like that out there. We often call them "victims" , and for good reason.
Just because something is not as likely to happen as something else, in no way rules out the chances of it's happening.
A recent example?
Im willing to be the homeless guy in Miami, never woke that day thinking he'd get his face chewed off by a naked, drug-crazed, Zombie. But guess what? :monkey
But, most of the same type of folks would actually suggest u carry a 9mm as a primary defensive side-arm too, so....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

There's a valid reason it's called Natural Selection.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

[snippers]
But, most of the same type of folks would actually suggest u carry a 9mm as a primary defensive side-arm too, so....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

[snippers]

Hey buddy! That's a low-blow!:) I need the sixteen rounds; I'm a bad shot.:dude:

Spirit4earth

Since this thread began with the Seattle shooting as an example, I have another scenario to present. But first, the Seattle facts: Ian Stawicki shot 5 people at Cafe Racer. Two died on scene, two at Harborview, and one survived. I knew one of the men who died. Stawicki then killed a woman downtown and stole her SUV. Finally he drive to West Seattle, and when confronted by police, he shot himself. Now, back to the scenario. Cafe Racer is a small space. Most if not all of the victims knew Stawicki and would not have expected him to pull out two .45s and start shooting. The entire event took less than a minute. How effective could a person have been concealed carrying sitting at the bar? Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Medic1210

Since this thread began with the Seattle shooting as an example, I have another scenario to present. But first, the Seattle facts: Ian Stawicki shot 5 people at Cafe Racer. Two died on scene, two at Harborview, and one survived. I knew one of the men who died. Stawicki then killed a woman downtown and stole her SUV. Finally he drive to West Seattle, and when confronted by police, he shot himself. Now, back to the scenario. Cafe Racer is a small space. Most if not all of the victims knew Stawicki and would not have expected him to pull out two .45s and start shooting. The entire event took less than a minute. How effective could a person have been concealed carrying sitting at the bar? Your thoughts?

If I wasn't the first or second shot, I can say the odds would have changed. Would I be able to end the attack before he ended me? Hard to say, but I can say that had the guythatfended him off with a stool had a gun, and used it, chances are pretty good at least the lady in the vehicle would still be alive...

Ironbar

Which is why I keep telling everyone I meet, carrying a sidearm doesn't guarantee ANYTHING. All it does is provide me with a POSSIBLE means of defense other than my flailing appendages.

Spirit4earth

If I wasn't the first or second shot, I can say the odds would have changed. Would I be able to end the attack before he ended me? Hard to say, but I can say that had the guythatfended him off with a stool had a gun, and used it, chances are pretty good at least the lady in the vehicle would still be alive...

You're right. And if the barista or the man in the bathroom had had a gun, it would have had a different outcome. Sometimes, I guess, there's just nothing that can be done. We do need to do what we can to have a fighting chance, though.

Spirit4earth

Back to the OP now... If someone had a firearm and they were across the street and took out Stawicki, would they have been legally protected?

j4l

Back to the OP now... If someone had a firearm and they were across the street and took out Stawicki, would they have been legally protected?

I think it depends on the State (s). Some have different laws on it. I recall something, some yr.s back -so not sure if still in effect- in Louisiana, where If such an incident occurs, to which you are a witness, and are found to have been armed and capable of intervening, but didnt, you could be prosecuted in some form for NOT having done so.
Whether or not anyone ever had, I have no idea, but..

Yard Sale

I practice on targets from 5 feet to 50 yards, with most practice at 7 to 20 yards. Anything inside 7 is point-shooting, easy peasy, and kind of a waste of time; I just do a little to keep my speed up. From 7-15 or so requires front sight or a full sight picture. 15 and beyond requires a good sight picture.

The Carson City IHOP shooting was an example of an armed citizen who felt he could not take the long shot across the parking lot with his compact pistol to engage the active shooter with a Kalashnikov klone. He was roundly criticized by a bunch of internet heros who said, in his shoes, they would have shot the bad guy.

DamonK

In Washington State you are protected legally if you have to use lethal force to stop a felony. Since murder is a felony, you would be protected even if you were on a rooftop 5 blocks away. I'm sure you'd have some 'splainin' to do, but technically by the letter of the law you'd be covered. As far as me personally, I'd close if possible, if not, I practice at long range and carry a full size (5inch) 1911 for a reason.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2