• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waterford PD "You do have the Constitutional right to not videotape that"

NHCGRPR45

http://www.pixiq.com/article/michigan-cop-to-citizen

Waterford Police threaten to "take as evidence" a video camera from a person who was video taping the end of a high speed chase in Waterford, this is a video story worth watching.

So my question is: Can they legally do that? So far as I understand it they can't stop a person who is video taping in public where privacy is not at issue. Am I wrong?

Michigander

Hell no they can't stop someone from videotaping. But they will try, and there are no available repercussions, because the law doesn't have a very substantial available penalty aside from the never enforced federal color of law statutes, and even if there were better laws to prevent this kind of ****, the thin blue line hates taking out its trash.

Hence, when someone feels a need to record, I suggest having at least 2 back up recorders which are hidden.

By the way, do you guys think we should FOIA the city or department policy which requires seizing private videos as evidence?

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
FOIA and whatever else can be thrown at them.

Waterford needs to get their aces checked, and have for a very very long time. They do as they please down there.

ETA, Its not that I have a chip on my shoulder from the schools thing, (which I do,), but that I grew up there, I know first hand. I was expecting to run into what I ran into with the schools, because I already know how they are.

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
http://www.pixiq.com/article/michigan-cop-to-citizen

Waterford Police threaten to "take as evidence" a video camera from a person who was video taping the end of a high speed chase in Waterford, this is a video story worth watching.

So my question is: Can they legally do that? So far as I understand it they can't stop a person who is video taping in public where privacy is not at issue. Am I wrong?

Read this article and the UC court decision farther down. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?103435-Good-article-on-recording-LEOs

Venator

Waterford PD is really starting to piss me off. After dealing with them in the school OC incident, I can see they are thugs and will do whatever they want. MOC really needs to get on board and start doing something about them.

If not MOC then perhaps CLSD can step up.

TheQ

Waterford PD is really starting to piss me off. After dealing with them in the school OC incident, I can see they are thugs and will do whatever they want. MOC really needs to get on board and start doing something about them.

If not MOC then perhaps CLSD can step up.

You're on the MOC Leadership team. Maybe you could start an email with the MOC Leadership to discuss some "next steps"....?

Alternately, maybe post some ideas and start a discussion on the MOC Forum about what MOC should do about Waterford....?

Last edited:

Venator

You're on the MOC Leadership team. Maybe you could start an email with the MOC Leadership to discuss some "next steps"....?

Alternately, maybe post some ideas and start a discussion on the MOC Forum about what MOC should do about Waterford....?

I think MOC knows what it needs to do. I can't add anything more than what I have already been doing for years and have passed on to others including some members of the MOC board and coordinators.

scot623

I think MOC knows what it needs to do. I can't add anything more than what I have already been doing for years and have passed on to others including some members of the MOC board and coordinators.

Is this an open carry issue? Doesn't appear to be. CLSD should by all means step up.

TheQ

"MOC" can't know anything; it's a corporation. It's leadership is what knows and does things. How about an email with a plan of action? :) Have you (or anyone else in MOC leadership, to your knowledge) proposed any plan of action that the Board of Directors has voted on and turned down?

You suggesting that I am not doing enough to carry the torch? I'm just one man. I don't get involved much at the local level, as we have others in the leadership team on the local level. I do a lot of involvement at the state level though...and if one of our local people asks me to get involved at the local level I certainly will.

As a team we are strong. I can't do it all by myself. You seem to think the board of directors are the only people in leadership who should do things....?

Last edited:

WARCHILD

What a poster child this forum is for the anti's.

Like a bunch of angry vultures; to busy picking at each others scabs instead of a true combined effort to reach an ultimate goal.
Let's all just keep putting the blame or responsibility on someone else and keep the light off our own short comings.
Always looking for an us vs them instead of.... US!

As Bikenut so aptly puts it... Sad, truly sad.

My opinions are my own.

TheQ

I have said what I have said and will leave it at that. If someone would like to propose an idea about anything to the leadership of Michigan Open Carry, we welcome it.

Somebody else can have the last word.

NHCGRPR45

This is not even a gun issue. I was only trying to get some information while posting on a local issue with a Police Department that has been known to over-step. This IS not an Open Carry issue, its not a "Constituitional Carry" thing either. I now carry a concealable hi-def video device as daily carry so I was only trying to get some info on legallity. My camera happens to be small enough to pass even a close inspection so any casual observation will not normally allow it to be seen. I got the info I needed but did not really expect the in-fighting to develope. This could easily be a gun rights issue though if I were taping a police encounter that goes bad similar to what happened at Warren PD.

This becomes more time relevant because of the up coming Birmingham event.

Michigander

I got the info I needed but did not really expect the in-fighting to develope. This could easily be a gun rights issue though if I were taping a police encounter that goes bad similar to what happened at Warren PD.

Then, as now, I don't really care about who takes the leadership role, and who takes credit, and all that nonsense.

If you have an action you want to take, count me in. Between you and me and others on this forum, I don't see any need for a business structure to take on individual issues.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
As a former first responder, I can tell you that body recovery is a very emotional situation, even for the most jaded emergency workers. Out of respect for the victim of a fatality, and their family, emergency workers will do pretty much anything to protect the victim & family by shielding it from prying eyes.

The police officer used a poor choice of method to deter the ghoul that was filming this particular segment of the tragedy. There's nothing newsworthy about emergency workers pulling a mangled body from the wreckage.

Imagine how the family would feel? What if it were your loved one? Would you want to see that sad moment paraded on You Tube like some macabre trophy?

Yes, you are constitutionally protected; but its like yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater. Its just sick to film body recovery.

The First Amendment has certain restrictions for a reason; this situation is one of them. Save your video for real news, you sick ghoul bastard. Give the victim some privacy.

army74

Waterford

Stainless did you ever contact or meet with city council members ive talked with atleast one who knows OC is legal his name is Anthony Bartollota he is very well versed in it he doesnt care about oc his neighbor does it and doesnt mind it. Some businesses like one you visited stainless it use to be megapawn in waterford i wont go there anymore.