Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winco

Winco

The wife and I along with 2 of our children went into the Winco at Stephanie and Wigwam this morning. We were just inside the door and picking up some hamburger buns when approached by a woman who bent down and looked at my revolver and asked "is that a gun?" My first reaction was to say no, it's an ice cream machine, but I resisted. She then proceded to tell me that "we are a family store and I do not allow guns in the store." My wife asked her if that was her policy or the corporations? She seemed taken back for a moment and then said it's corporate. I asked her if she realized that if indeed that is policy that they are the only ones in town that have that policy. She smiled and shrugged. I told her that we would not be back and she shrugged again which ment she obviously didn't give a flyin' fig. I asked what her position was and she replied "I'm the manager". I got the contact phone number from her for her Corp office and asked her name to which she replied "Sharon". I asked if that was it or did she have a last name and she said that was all she was giving me.

I of course will not be shopping there and will be contacting their Corp office. When I get something written up I will post it here and of course will share any response.

Has anyone else had problems at a Winco store?

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

What I found most interesting about our encounter is that she said first, "I don't allow guns in my store." Not "we" don't allow guns. She stated several times that Winco is a family store. I pointed out that we were there with our family and we carry all the time. I wasn't carrying today because I couldn't find my belt. What her would reaction have been if we'd both been carrying? Plus now we an 18 year old daughter that wants to open carry too. Could get interesting we we all go places packing!

How ironic! The wife and I were JUST at WinCo on Decatur this morning and NOBODY said anything negative to us. In fact we've got nothing but "praise" from the manager there. He was in fact glad we were there carrying...
    Last edited by DooFster; 06-02-2012 at 04:52 PM.

My wife and myself have been to both Winco's OC here in the Reno/Sparks area.

We shop there alot due to the low prices and good selection of food and nobody ever batted an eye, looked at us funny, or said anything to us.
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Guy View Post
    The wife and I along with 2 of our children went into the Winco at Stephanie and Wigwam this morning. We were just inside the door and picking up some hamburger buns when approached by a woman who bent down and looked at my revolver and asked "is that a gun?" My first reaction was to say no, it's an ice cream machine, but I resisted. She then proceded to tell me that "we are a family store and I do not allow guns in the store." My wife asked her if that was her policy or the corporations? She seemed taken back for a moment and then said it's corporate. I asked her if she realized that if indeed that is policy that they are the only ones in town that have that policy. She smiled and shrugged. I told her that we would not be back and she shrugged again which ment she obviously didn't give a flyin' fig. I asked what her position was and she replied "I'm the manager". I got the contact phone number from her for her Corp office and asked her name to which she replied "Sharon". I asked if that was it or did she have a last name and she said that was all she was giving me.

I of course will not be shopping there and will be contacting their Corp office. When I get something written up I will post it here and of course will share any response.

Has anyone else had problems at a Winco store?

TBG
    I've OC'd at the Winco store on Decatur near the 215 north loop with the wife twice. Never had any problems there. I suspect it's "Sharon's" personal policy to not allow guns inside the "family store".

Quote Originally Posted by DooFster View Post
    How ironic! The wife and I were JUST at WinCo on Decatur this morning and NOBODY said anything negative to us. In fact we've got nothing but "praise" from the manager there. He was in fact glad we were there carrying...
    I've never had any encounters with the manager or any other store employee at the Decatur Winco. I've just gone about my business shopping, checked out, and headed out the door with the groceries without any problem whatever..no freaked out employees or customers.

Did the manager happen to say anything about whether Winco has a firearms policy and what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    I've never had any encounters with the manager or any other store employee at the Decatur Winco. I've just gone about my business shopping, checked out, and headed out the door with the groceries without any problem whatever..no freaked out employees or customers.

Did the manager happen to say anything about whether Winco has a firearms policy and what it is?
    Yes, she said that they are a family friendly store and that it was Corp policy. Judging by the other comments on here I have a feeling that when I contact corporate the story may not be the same.

TBG

Quote Originally Posted by ed2276 View Post
    Nope... His response was something along the lines of "...thanks for doing it. It lets me know that there are other people than psychos that visit my store..."

email to Winco and their contact page

I just sent an email to Winco and they say on their contact page that I should recieve a response within 96 hours.
    The link is: http://www.wincofoods.com/contact/

TBG

The following is what I wrote:

The wife and I along with 2 of our children went into the Winco at Stephanie and Wigwam this morning. We were just inside the door and picking up some hamburger buns when approached by a woman who bent down and looked at my revolver and asked "is that a gun?" She then proceeded to tell me that "we are a family store and I do not allow guns in the store." My wife asked her if that was her policy or the corporations? She seemed taken back for a moment and then said its corporate. I asked her if she realized that if indeed that is policy that they are the only ones in town that have that policy. She smiled and shrugged. I told her that we would not be back and she shrugged again which meant she obviously didn't care. I asked what her position was and she replied "I'm the manager". I asked her name to which she replied "Sharon". I asked if that was it or did she have a last name and she said that was all she was giving me.

Let me give you some background. Here in the state of Nevada there is no restriction to the open carry of firearms by anyone not otherwise prohibited from possessing one. In fact our Constitution reads "Every citizen has the right to keep and bear arms for security and defense". The state also has a very large amount of citizens who carry concealed.

Wall-Mart, Vons, Albertsons, Smith's, Food for less, Fresh and Easy, Smart and Final, Target and Cuevas none of which has a problem with the legal carry of firearms for personal protection and their policy is to follow state law. I shop in all of them with never a word as I do in other places I do business with including big box stores, mom and pop shops, banks and restaurants.

I and my wife have carried for personal protection for quite a few years now and it is routine for us.

I have been told by other Open Carry people I know that they regularly carry in your stores in Las Vegas and Reno with never a word. In fact one guy has told me of the positive conversations he has had in one of your stores with the manager about firearms in general. In light of this I have to question is it indeed your corporate policy to ban the legal possession of firearms, or is it one of your store managers taking it upon herself to make up the rules as she goes along?

We were in your new store to check it out, drawn in by some of your advertised specials and recommendations of friends. We were primarily shopping for a party for our daughter’s birthday and not for our normal groceries. Because of your manager asking us to leave, we went to food for less and on this trip spent $200.23.

We have a large family and our budget is quite large. We spend approximately $50 a week in milk alone. I would estimate we spend well in excess of $1000.00 a month in grocery stores.

My questions are: Is this indeed your policy and do you want my business?

I would very much appreciate a response.

Regards
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 06-03-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Activist Member
    My family has been going to Winco for years without issue in Reno.

Heh I've never even heard of winco. I live around trop/decatur. Where's the closest one to me so I can go shop there, and see if they follow this corp. policy. I need groceries pretty bad too.

It's on the north end of Decatur...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338784783.160046.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	8558

Winco

Me,and my girlfriend,we always shop at the Winco in Idaho Falls,Idaho and never had a word said to me yet.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    I've been to both Reno Wincos numerous times.

Never any negative comments or stink eye from anyone.

Quick reply from Winco.

Here is the reply from Cathy D. ???? Whoever the hell she is.

TBG

Tim,

If a customer or employee feels uncomfortable to the point that they notify store management, we will in turn kindly ask the carrier to please leave their gun outside of the store during their visit. This in no way means that we do not acknowledge your rights granted by the state. Instead it means that as private property we may chose to control it; in effort of providing a comfortable experience for all while on our premises. We also understand that personal safety is one of the reasons many of our valued customers have chosen to enact their right to carry guns. If someone does not feel comfortable leaving their gun in the car, we would like to share that while unseen; our stores are staffed with security personnel that is trained to handle a wide range of situations for the safety of all of our valued guests and staff.

We value you and your family as customers and many of our employees hunt and own guns also, but as a company we have chosen this stance for our private property.

Cathy D.

My reply to "Cathy D."

Cathy

I find this interesting as I have been in contact with many other people in areas where you own stores including WA, ID, Northern NV, UT and AZ and none have ever had any problem in one of your stores except me. So if I understand you correctly, you have no real written corporate policy, you just leave it up to individual employees. Is that correct?

You state that "we will in turn kindly ask the carrier to please leave their gun outside of the store during their visit". I was not asked to leave my firearm outside, I was just simply asked to leave. In addition you state " that as private property we may chose to control it". So as there is no hard and fast rule, what criteria do you use to decide who to allow and who to bar?

You have also not told me what your position is with the company. Please provide that information.

As it stands, I will not be spending my money in your store, and will ask others not to as well. There are at least 10 competitors in my area that welcome my family's business.

Regards

TBG

Update from Cathy D.

Sir,

I do email support for WinCo Foods, it is my job to answer questions and route emails, as I find appropriate. This is our policy and it is our manager's job to provide for the safety of our employees and customers.

I'm sorry you do not choose to shop with us but if you change your mind we will be here to serve you and your family.

Cathy D.

Wow! I guess she told me. I will now be finding the CEO's address and sending a letter.

TBG
    Last edited by The Big Guy; 06-04-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Post when you have contact info. I am looking for it as well.

Here is the address for the CEO of Winco.
    Steven Goddard, CEO, President, and Director of WinCo Foods
    650 N. Armstrong Place
    Boise ID 83704.

Stephanie
    the big guys wife
    Last edited by bigguyswife; 06-04-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: wrong zip code

And it continues...

I wrote:

Cathy

Would you please supply me with the name and mailing address of the CEO of Winco.

Regards

Tim

Her response:

Actually, I can supply you with the corporate office number and our PR representative, Mike Read.

Cathy D.

And my response to that:

Cathy

Thank you for your response but that is of no help to me. I looked it up and now have his contact information and will be in direct contact with him
    regarding my experience in dealing with and trying to do business with Winco.

No reply is needed.

Regards

Tim

Steven Goddard
    President and CEO
    650 N. Armstrong Place
    Boise ID 83704

TBG

I, too, shop at one of the Winco's in Reno without issue. In fact, on my last visit a checker thanked me for carrying, and said she felt safer.

Sorry to hear of your negative experience.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    When you write, you might point out that Walmart and Sam's Club have a WRITTEN policy that simply states that their stores will not restrict legal firearms carry, whether open or concealed.

Ask if he is aware that his policy is that only criminals may be armed in his stores.

If an employee or customer were fearful of motorcycle gangs, would a customer be asked to take his leathers out of the store? Or if the fear were gang violence, would someone with tattoos be asked to leave? Or if the fear were of people who aren't white, would a Latino customer be asked to leave?

At what point should we stop respecting people and start respecting phobias?

We visited the WinCo in Henderson, and frankly I was not impressed with the selection or prices. However, if WinCo is leaving the decision to allow open carry in their stores up to individual store employees, I'll certainly never spend money in their stores.

mbogo

I got two replies from them on twitter.

1.WinCo Foods ‏@WinCoFoods

thank you for the question, we respect and follow the law, but as private property we may ask visitors to not carry at WinCo

2.WinCo Foods ‏@WinCoFoods

...such decision would be up to store's discretion on a case by case basis. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegassteve View Post
    I got two replies from them on twitter.

1.WinCo Foods ‏@WinCoFoods

thank you for the question, we respect and follow the law, but as private property we may ask visitors to not carry at WinCo

2.WinCo Foods ‏@WinCoFoods

...such decision would be up to store's discretion on a case by case basis. Thanks!
    I've been working on my letter to the Pres/CEO and should have it ready today.

TBG

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast