• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winco

The Big Guy

I hope that the way it displayed here in the forum, is not the way it is on your Word Processing App. If it shows the same way in both.. then please try using paragraphs.

Your letter was very hard to read.

It probably won't get much attention if he can't read it quickly.

As it states on the post with my letter:

"The cut and paste ran everything together. be assured the letter was properly formatted."

TBG

A.M.D.

I live in the north part of town just off Jones and Elkhorn and I go to the Winco on 215/Decatur all the time. I have never had any problems and I am there three times a week OC'ing. One time when I was walking out of Winco, I was approached by another customer who said "Why do you have a gun?"..."You can't do that!" I walked away and did not answer. Clearly she did not know anything about the law or the right to keep and bear arms.
I have no patience for ignorant people.

The Big Guy

I live in the north part of town just off Jones and Elkhorn and I go to the Winco on 215/Decatur all the time. I have never had any problems and I am there three times a week OC'ing. One time when I was walking out of Winco, I was approached by another customer who said "Why do you have a gun?"..."You can't do that!" I walked away and did not answer. Clearly she did not know anything about the law or the right to keep and bear arms.
I have no patience for ignorant people.

I see you are new to OC.ORG, welcome.

I have sort of the same problem with people. I don't tolerate idiots very well but we both should learn to. We should not miss an opportunity to educate if we can.

TBG

TechStuffBC

I would have been more than happy to deliver the letter in person, OC'ing at that, to their corporate HQ.

jdholmes

By the way...I meant to say this the other day.

My wife and I were in the same Stephanie store last week. As soon as we entered we see at the checkout a"bigger-boned" lady in her 50's putting stuff into her bags....with NO bottoms on.

Apparently they are very specific as to what their view of a "family" store is.

mbogo470

By the way...I meant to say this the other day.

My wife and I were in the same Stephanie store last week. As soon as we entered we see at the checkout a"bigger-boned" lady in her 50's putting stuff into her bags....with NO bottoms on.

Apparently they are very specific as to what their view of a "family" store is.

You mean no pants, skirt, skort, shorts, sarong, pareo, or underwear? :eek:

did you bring it to management's attention? While carrying openly? :lol:
mbogo

jdholmes

Haha...she had what was probably an ill fitting swimsuit bottom...no different than going out in your underwear IMO. Especially being a food store, that is unacceptable to me - and again even more so given that they apparently are unfriendly towards those carrying.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A picture of that would be PRICELESS when asking the "manager" what kind of "family store" they are.

You should have taken one for the team...

jdholmes

A picture of that would be PRICELESS when asking the "manager" what kind of "family store" they are.

You should have taken one for the team...

Indeed...I really need to get a cell. I've been holding off for an iPhone5... if that ever happens.

The Big Guy

Reply to my letter from winco.

I just received a phone call from Mike Read, Public Relations Representative of Winco foods. He let me know that they have had lots of contact about this issue and have come to the conclusion that we are welcome in their stores open carry. He told me that they really didn't like it but would not fight it. He said as a private property they have the right to prohibit firearms but that they would not.

He said they worry about how uncomfortable other customers may be by seeing a firearm. I assured him that as long as I have carried by far the most common response is positive. People wanting to know what they have to do to carry. The vast majority of people don't even pay attention or are simply not concerned.

TBG

Lostlittlerobot

Didn't happen to ask for this in writing did you(or record the phone call)? Had several occurances where I'm told by upper management/leadership that I'm welcome to carry, only to have it change later on.

The Big Guy

Didn't happen to ask for this in writing did you(or record the phone call)? Had several occurances where I'm told by upper management/leadership that I'm welcome to carry, only to have it change later on.

Even if I had it in writing, they are free to change the policy at any time without notification. If they do, and we are asked to leave by the manager or security, we must. They obviously want our business so at this point that is good enough for me.

TBG

jdholmes

Exactly. The manager should have the numbers for their PR people and should be able to contact this person or at least know that you know what your talking about when you mention his name....

Last edited:

ed2276

I just received a phone call from Mike Read, Public Relations Representative of Winco foods. He let me know that they have had lots of contact about this issue and have come to the conclusion that we are welcome in their stores open carry. He told me that they really didn't like it but would not fight it. He said as a private property they have the right to prohibit firearms but that they would not.

He said they worry about how uncomfortable other customers may be by seeing a firearm. I assured him that as long as I have carried by far the most common response is positive. People wanting to know what they have to do to carry. The vast majority of people don't even pay attention or are simply not concerned.

TBG

Lots of contacts X lots of $$= lots of profit

Thus, even though they don't like us OCing, they like the dollars they receive more than they dislike the OCing.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... He told me that they really didn't like it but would not fight it. ...

I'm more interested in his feelings than his allowance. I've plenty of other places to spend my money. At least he was honest about it.

The Big Guy

Does this mean that "Sharon" has been retrained?

I'm thinking so as he told me she had been transfered from another state that does not allow OC. I said "oh, CA" and he said "no, Oregon". I mentioned to him that I had communicated with several Winco customers in Oregon who expressed surprise because they had never had any problems shopping there. I told him that of the 7 states they operate in only CA does not allow open carry. He said "well Oregon must have changed the law'. I let it drop.

TBG

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...He said "well Oregon must have change the law'. I let it drop.

Bummer. It was probably Sharon that told him it wasn't allowed in Oregon. He probably still thinks she was right.

It wasn't your job to correct him, but I can't stand people talking out of their ass because they assume we're too ignorant to know better.

Last edited: