• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prince Georges County gun buyback

TFred

Too bad Maryland isn't "free" enough to privately buy what may turn out to be some good deals here.

By the way, I took a quick stroll through Google-land, are there any provisions in the state law that makes this buyback legal?

I didn't see any exemptions to the strict transfer process for gun buybacks.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/06/prince-george-s-county-police-to-hold-gun-buy-back-76568.html

What a waste of money these programs are. It must be nice to have enough public money to flush like this.

TFred

coyote223

If they had a buy back here, I think I could put together enough junk guns. Maby get enough money to buy a new rock river coyote carbine in .223:lol:
Lets call it a stimulus package:banana:

Sig229

I see they are giving away wal-mart gift cards.

I have an old 16ga rusted ass shotgun.
Maybe I could give them that gun, take the wal-mart gift card and use it towards the cost f that Sig-Sauer AR15 I saw in my local Wal-Mart the other day.

Using their anti gun money against them. lol

Dreamer

I see they are giving away wal-mart gift cards.

I have an old 16ga rusted ass shotgun.
Maybe I could give them that gun, take the wal-mart gift card and use it towards the cost f that Sig-Sauer AR15 I saw in my local Wal-Mart the other day.

Using their anti gun money against them. lol

I don't care who you are, THAT'S funny!

Dreamer

I love when they state crime has rosen. Why dont they compare the population of the area with rising crime? More people is more crime.

There is the REAL story--and the press is NOT covering it...

Violent crime IS up in MD. And the population is actually DECREASING in most of the state (with the exception of Montgomery, and Howard Counties--and most of the new jobs there are in service of Federal/DHS-related jobs)

Population goes down in MD, but the crime rate is going up? This has got to be the only place in the US where that math adds up...

Sig229

There is the REAL story--and the press is NOT covering it...

Violent crime IS up in MD. And the population is actually DECREASING in most of the state (with the exception of Montgomery, and Howard Counties--and most of the new jobs there are in service of Federal/DHS-related jobs)

Population goes down in MD, but the crime rate is going up? This has got to be the only place in the US where that math adds up...

Well, lets be honest here.
The part of the population that is leaving MD doesnt contribute to the violent crime in MD.

papa bear

It would probably be a good 5-7 hour drive for you to make it to PG county MD.
You would spend more in gasoline to get there than you would get on the gift card.

actually i was thinking of buying a few and making it to the border :lol:

TFred

Yep, get rid of the broken, unrepairables, and take the wally cards back to OUR statre and buys something that is ready to go. Love it...
Wouldn't you technically be violating Federal Law for transferring a handgun to someone who is not an FFL and not a resident of your state?

Don't get me wrong, not picking on you, but on them for so blatantly ignoring Federal law.

TFred

Sig229

Wouldn't you technically be violating Federal Law for transferring a handgun to someone who is not an FFL and not a resident of your state?

Don't get me wrong, not picking on you, but on them for so blatantly ignoring Federal law.

TFred

Where does he say that he was going to bring handguns to turn in?
He might just have some old broken rifles and shotguns.

Sig229

Looks like the last date they are doing this is June 9th.
I wont be getting into Maryland until June 11th.

Damn, I could have used that $100 to put down on a new AR.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Where does he say that he was going to bring handguns to turn in?
He might just have some old broken rifles and shotguns.

Maryland does not allow private sales of handguns or "assault weapons" (termed "regulated firearms" under MD law). Private sales of these types of firearms must go through an FFL.

"Assault weapons" in MD is defined in MD PS §5-101(p)(2):

http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland/2010/public-safety/title-5/subtitle-1/5-101/

And includes just about EVERY modern military-style semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine ever made...

Last edited:

swinokur

Activist Member
Nope. Not true. You may transfer FTF through MSP. No FFL required.

I've sold several handguns and regulated long guns this way. Completely legal

MD Statute:

.05 Secondary Sales.

A. A secondary sale means a sale of a regulated firearm as defined in Public Safety Article, §5-101(r), Annotated Code of Maryland.

B. The procedures for a secondary sale are as follows:
(1) Except for the signature, the applicant shall complete an application to purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm as required in Regulation .03 of this chapter;
(2) The regulated firearm to be purchased shall be transported by the seller to a dealer or designated law enforcement agency;

(3) The regulated firearm shall be transported unloaded, in a locked box, enclosed case, or enclosed holster, with no ammunition being readily available;
(4) The prospective purchaser and seller shall contact the dealer or designated law enforcement agency before the seller removes the regulated firearm from the vehicle and advise the dealer or designated law enforcement agency that the applicant is applying for a secondary sale;

(5) The regulated firearm may not be worn or carried into a dealer's place of business or a designated law enforcement installation without prior notification to the dealer or designated law enforcement agency;
(6) The applicant shall sign the application to purchase, rent, or transfer a regulated firearm in the presence of the seller and dealer or designated law enforcement agent.
C. The dealer or designated law enforcement agency shall:

(1) Review and verify the applicant information on the application;
(2) Review and verify the seller/transferor information on the application;
(3) Review and verify the regulated firearms information on the application to ensure that except as provided under Criminal Law Article, §5-402(a), Annotated Code of Maryland, a person may not sell or offer for sale in the State a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not on the handgun roster;
(4) Ensure that the applicant understands the certification the applicant is signing;
(5) Review and verify the signatures and date on the application;
(6) Sign and date the application as reviewer; and
(7) Forward the application, with the $10 application fee, to the Firearms Registration Section.
D. Upon receipt of the application, the Firearms Registration Section shall process the application as required in Regulation .06 of this chapter.

From your quoted statute:
"Regulated firearm" § 5-101
(f) Designated law enforcement agency.- "Designated law enforcement agency" means a law enforcement agency that the Secretary designates to process applications to purchase regulated firearms for secondary sales.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Nope. Not true. You may transfer FTF through MSP. No FFL required.

I've sold several handguns and regulated long guns this way. Completely legal

Oh, yes, Private sales ARE legal in MD and you don't have to go through an FFL, but you DO have to go through MSP, which ALSO enterd your gun into MD's "State Firearms Registry" which is SOOOO much more private, Constitutional and secure than the way all your bordering states handle private sales...

Who are you, really, Swinokur? Do you work in Pikesville or something? Why are you such an apologist for the MD System?

Can't you just man-up and admit that we live in an oppressive oligarchy, and work to change it, rather than trying to demonize anyone who criticized the MD Way?

swinokur

Activist Member
Nope, just a guy who likes the correct facts to whit what your incorrect post states:

Maryland does not allow private sales of handguns or "assault weapons" (termed "regulated firearms" under MD law). Private sales of these types of firearms must go through an FFL.

I didn't criticize you, I corrected your factually incorrect post and you want to turn this into one of your political rants because you view it as criticism. Not gonna fly Dreamy.

Instead of trying to change the subject and go off on one of your tangents, why not just admit you got this one wrong Dreamer?

Hard to do I know. Being accurate is not the MD way, it's the only way. Another one of your well researched posts?

Please.

Oh and BTW Just sayin.

I do not intend to get sucked into one of your inane arguments about the MD Govt. Your post was wrong and I corrected you. That's what's really bothering you now isn't it?

Last edited:

Sig229

As long as we are on the topic of "being clear".
I (and money others) dont really consider going to the SP barracks and having the police do background checks to Xfer a firearm a true "FTF" purchase.

When I lived in West Virginia, I went to gun shows and bought rifles AND pistols face to face with people without any middle-man or paperwork.

Here in PA, we do that all the time with long guns. But FTF for pistols (unless they are a family member) is illegal in Pennsylvania.

So in other words, meet a guy selling a handgun/rifle. Look the gun over, pay cash, shake hands and walk away. Thats a true face-to face purchase!

swinokur

Activist Member
When you do the paperwork at MSP, the buyer and seller are present=FTF.
When you transfer the weapon 7 days later with buyer and seller present without MSP present at all=FTF.

If you want to parse words let's call it a private sale. Same thing, different name.

Last edited: