Thread: Gander Mountain closing Ashland store: Green Top moving in!

Gander Mountain closing Ashland store: Green Top moving in!

http://www.virginiashootingsportsass...mond-area.html
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/busine...-g-ar-1956017/

Wow. Surprised it has taken this long for Gander Mountain to close. Surprised Green Top is moving to that location, which has always been out of the way.

TFred

It's actually easier to get in and out of than their current location. And you can see the sign from 95.

Supposedly they had gotten approval to build a range on the vacant property next to their current location, so it would be interesting to see if they put one in at the new location, since it's five times the size of the current building. Of course, they could also sublet some of the space, too.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    http://www.virginiashootingsportsass...mond-area.html
    http://www2.timesdispatch.com/busine...-g-ar-1956017/

Wow. Surprised it has taken this long for Gander Mountain to close. Surprised Green Top is moving to that location, which has always been out of the way.

TFred
    at least the roof is green.

Let's see how much their prices increase to cover the rent that they will now be paying.
    Last edited by Scott; 06-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Let's see how much their prices increase to cover the rent that they will now be paying.
    I doubt much Scott. They still have to compete with Bass Pro.

as it's a larger building perhaps they could make the aisles a bit wider. The current store layout makes it difficult to get around without blocking anyone getting past you, and since I almost always have Logan in tow when shopping it's impossible to keep him a distance from the merchandise that prevents him pulling everything onto the floor, so I gave up on visiting Green Top quite some time ago.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    as it's a larger building perhaps they could make the aisles a bit wider. The current store layout makes it difficult to get around without blocking anyone getting past you, and since I almost always have Logan in tow when shopping it's impossible to keep him a distance from the merchandise that prevents him pulling everything onto the floor, so I gave up on visiting Green Top quite some time ago.
    You should have seen it in the old days. It started in that little building next door.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You should have seen it in the old days. It started in that little building next door.
    yeah, someone once told me that it used to be in the place that Proshooter likes to get his lunch from

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    yeah, someone once told me that it used to be in the place that Proshooter likes to get his lunch from
    Yes, because I am going to trust my life to some dump called Phat Boyz BBQ......
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Yes, because I am going to trust my life to some dump called Phat Boyz BBQ......
    Buz & Neds on the other hand..... perhaps....

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Buz & Neds on the other hand..... perhaps....
    Perhaps not!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Willing to bet that Greentop got a heck of a good deal on the rent and perhaps an option to buy too.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thumbs down

I understand that the ownership of Greentop changed a couple of years ago and that's why it kinda sucks there nowadays compared to how it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    I understand that the ownership of Greentop changed a couple of years ago and that's why it kinda sucks there nowadays compared to how it once was.
    They went from a locally family owned business to a corporate entity, but many of the original senior employees remain. Still good people in my book.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    They went from a locally family owned business to a corporate entity, but many of the original senior employees remain. Still good people in my book.
    Just curious, any additional details on the new owners? A name anyone would know?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Just curious, any additional details on the new owners? A name anyone would know?

TFred
    Charles G Thalhimer Jr President

Bill Prout Finance Executive

Jeff Fletcher Cio/Cto

Bob Strepka Chief Marketing Officer

Present corporate ownership goes back to 1993. The family business started in about 1943.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 06-04-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Charles G Thalhimer Jr President

Bill Prout Finance Executive

Jeff Fletcher Cio/Cto

Bob Strepka Chief Marketing Officer

Present corporate ownership goes back to 1993. The family business started in about 1943.
    grape i'm not sure that's current info. I think there is a new maybe two-three year old management team that is made up of mostly former circuit city folks and we know what happened to circuit city. so far they have not managed to screw up the sales force but they have done little to make sure they keep them either. we all know its the direct interaction with the sales people that makes us as customers come back time and again. thats the difference between greentop and bass pro/gander the sales staff. i could care less about the name or who owns it as long as they keep their knowledgable and courteous staff. if their staff as a whole opened their own store and the circuit city guys swapped them out with bass pro/gander morons i'd never darken the door at greentop again. its the sales guys i buy from not the store. and i hope the circuit city guys figured out that its the store level staff that keeps customers coming back not sales and promotions or big new stores.

Quote Originally Posted by 67GT390FB View Post
    grape i'm not sure that's current info. I think there is a new maybe two-three year old management team that is made up of mostly former circuit city folks and we know what happened to circuit city. so far they have not managed to screw up the sales force but they have done little to make sure they keep them either. we all know its the direct interaction with the sales people that makes us as customers come back time and again. thats the difference between greentop and bass pro/gander the sales staff. i could care less about the name or who owns it as long as they keep their knowledgable and courteous staff. if their staff as a whole opened their own store and the circuit city guys swapped them out with bass pro/gander morons i'd never darken the door at greentop again. its the sales guys i buy from not the store. and i hope the circuit city guys figured out that its the store level staff that keeps customers coming back not sales and promotions or big new stores.
    Wasn't aware of that - Circuit City guys! Say it isn't so.