• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bodo's Bagels Charlottesville apparently Anti-Gun

Jay

Hey all I have not been posting lately but I had a bad experience today. I went to the Bodo's Bagel 505 Preston Ave Charlottesville, VA 22903 this morning on my way out of town (OC'ing Sig 229 in a Level II). I placed my order for my usual bagel sandwich and paid. As I was standing with everyone else waiting to pick up my order. A person who I assume was the manager (as he seemed to be the one calling out orders behind the counter and directing the workers around) approached me and said, "Excuse me are you a police officer?" I stated "That I was not" he then said, "It is okay for right now but we do not allow guns in here" He then walked away I really could not press the issue as he was gone just as fast as he appeared I also was in a rush to head out of town. I have OC'ed into all three of there establishments more times than I can count, and I have never had an issue.

I plan on writing the customary letter and hope others will join me in expressing there dissatisfaction for this.

sawah

Good that you got his express permission to OC there. I mean, does it get any better than 'It's OK for now...'. I'd take that to mean anytime you came in. :)

Dreamer

A person who I assume was the manager (as he seemed to be the one calling out orders behind the counter and directing the workers around) approached me and said, "Excuse me are you a police officer?" I stated "That I was not" he then said, "It is okay for right now but we do not allow guns in here"

So he was lying to you when he said they don't allow guns. If you have been an LEO, they would have allowed your cop gun.

They don't allow LAW ABIDING CITIZENS to carry their legal and lawfully owned guns.

But they DO allow agents of the STATE who have a monopoly on force to carry guns.

In other words, this business hates freedom and the Constitution, but they are completely comfortable living in a condition of disarmed serfdom.

THAT is what he was REALLY saying to you...

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Post Card Sent

bodo.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Perhaps they could start a Wednesday special for muggers, rapists and child abductors.:uhoh:

Jay

Ed thank you for the card. I was delayed in sending out my letter however I completed and sent out today hopefully we get a positive response

Dear Managers,

I just would like to officially know what Bodo's Bagels policy is on the carrying of firearms while patronizing in your establishment. The reason why I ask is that last Sunday on my way out of town I was legally carrying a holstered firearm. After paying for my food and waiting for it to be ready. I was approached by a worker (I believe a manager) although he did not give his name & title (Preston Ave Store). He asked me if I was a cop. I politely told him I was not. He then told me that "he" does not allow guns in the store, and that I was okay for right now but not in the future. He was then gone just as fast as he appeared.

I take my right to personal protection very seriously. I have a concealed weapons permit by the Commonwealth of Virginia. (Although during the summer time I rarely conceal as it is difficult with summertime attire). I am a law abiding citizen who up until this Sunday enjoyed my daily routine of getting a breakfast sandwich at Bodo’s. However I refuse to spend my hard earned money patronizing at any establishment that denies my right and personal choice to carry a firearm. I was also very surprised when I was told I could not legally carry because I have been carrying in this manner at all of your locations for a while now and I have never been questioned once. On the contrary I have had several pleasant conversations with other patrons while standing in line usually inquiring about the firearms laws in Virginia. In fact you are only the second establishment that has ever told me I could not carry. However after I sent them a letter they admitted they misunderstood Virginia law, and they have since rescinded their policy on forbidding the legal carrying of firearms.

When a business actively forbids the carrying of firearms by legal gun owners you might as well put a sign on your door that says “Legal carrying of firearms not allowed criminals welcome”. I am sure that you can understand that criminals will not care what your policies are. Please let me know what your official policy is I am a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. There are thousands of members across the Commonwealth and I would like to let them all know what your position is.

Thank You

Marco

Ed thank you for the card. I was delayed in sending out my letter however I completed and sent out today hopefully we get a positive response

Dear Managers,

I just would like to officially know what Bodo's Bagels policy is on the carrying of firearms while patronizing in your establishment. The reason why I ask is that last Sunday on my way out of town I was legally carrying a holstered firearm. After paying for my food and waiting for it to be ready. I was approached by a worker (I believe a manager) although he did not give his name & title (Preston Ave Store). He asked me if I was a cop. I politely told him I was not. He then told me that "he" does not allow guns in the store, and that I was okay for right now but not in the future. He was then gone just as fast as he appeared.

I take my right to personal protection very seriously. I have a concealed weapons permit by the Commonwealth of Virginia. (Although during the summer time I rarely conceal as it is difficult with summertime attire). I am a law abiding citizen who up until this Sunday enjoyed my daily routine of getting a breakfast sandwich at Bodo’s. However I refuse to spend my hard earned money patronizing at any establishment that denies my right and personal choice to carry a firearm. I was also very surprised when I was told I could not legally carry because I have been carrying in this manner at all of your locations for a while now and I have never been questioned once. On the contrary I have had several pleasant conversations with other patrons while standing in line usually inquiring about the firearms laws in Virginia. In fact you are only the second establishment that has ever told me I could not carry. However after I sent them a letter they admitted they misunderstood Virginia law, and they have since rescinded their policy on forbidding the legal carrying of firearms.

When a business actively forbids the carrying of firearms by legal gun owners you might as well put a sign on your door that says “Legal carrying of firearms not allowed criminals welcome”. I am sure that you can understand that criminals will not care what your policies are. Please let me know what your official policy is I am a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. There are thousands of members across the Commonwealth and I would like to let them all know what your position is.

Thank You

Jay,
Nice letter, except for the bolded parts, IMHO.
The fact you have a CHP is irrelevant as you were OC'ing, as written you only included it to show that some how it makes you special.
Asking/stating business should/might as well post their property isn't helpful to others, even though personally I'd rather see them posted if they wish to deny lawful carry so I can avoid them.

~Marco

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by hammer6

brought*
Thanks.. big deal, I had a typo.. by the time you BROUGHT it to my attention, the post card was long gone.. Let's see the letter YOU wrote or the postcard YOU send.

:eek: I think his reply was reasonable, not a challenge. IMO, it is not really necessary to criticize the well intended.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

:eek: I think his reply was reasonable, not a challenge. IMO, it is not really necessary to criticize the well intended.

bite me:lol:

Elegant response, sir - shows class. Actually, I laughed too, should not have expected anything different.