• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bodo's Bagels Charlottesville apparently Anti-Gun

brlong23

Thanks.. big deal, I had a typo.. by the time you BROUGHT it to my attention, the post card was long gone.. Let's see the letter YOU wrote or the postcard YOU send.

Personally, I think if you're going to write an establishment stating your complaint and representing an organization, you should consider using proper spelling and grammar. Your typo was the first thing I noticed when I looked at your post and honestly, my initial thought was if you didn't care enough to spell check your postcard, then why should I care to read it. Just imagine what the company who is receiving it would think.

Marco

Personally, I think if you're going to write an establishment stating your complaint and representing an organization, you should consider using proper spelling and grammar.

As the self proclaimed king of typos on forum post.. I agree with the above but the fact remains Ed's postcard is better than the one you and hammer6 didn't send.

Edit: typo's

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As the self proclaimed king of typos on forum post.. I agree with the above but the fact remains Ed's postcard is better than the one you and hammer6 didn't send.

Edit: typo's

They're very colorful and most effective too.

TFred

We can nitpick the importance of being 100% typo-free all day long, but the simple fact is this: If the recipient of any correspondence sees a typo, and they are not otherwise receptive to the message, the typo gives them a subconscious excuse to dismiss the message altogether.

ESPECIALLY when you are talking to the self-proclaimed "liberal elite," who are prone to think such derogatory things as "this guy can't even write proper English, why should I consider what they have to say?"

It is a logical fallacy to think this way, probably a variant of "argumentum ad hominem", but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the mind of the reader.

I'm first in line to applaud and commend Ed for his consistent efforts, but you really can't overlook the fact that typos do diminish the effectiveness of the message.

JMHO. :)

TFred

Marco

I'm first in line to applaud and commend Ed for his consistent efforts, but you really can't overlook the fact that typos do diminish the effectiveness of the message.

JMHO. :)

TFred

JMHO, a (possibly) diminshed/less effective message is better than (confirmed) no message.
If y'all cared so much y'all should send your own letter/postcard which would hopefully have no spelling or grammar errors.

Were's the dead horse emoticon?

Bowesmobile

This is the people Bodo's caters to.

They couldn't care less about a few gun activists not buying a bagel.

Evil abounds when good men do nothing...

Under your line of thinking we wouldn't be eating at Jimmy Johns. Glad that wasn't handled the way you think.

Blk97F150

...the simple fact is this: If the recipient of any correspondence sees a typo, and they are not otherwise receptive to the message, the typo gives them a subconscious excuse to dismiss the message altogether.

Cite please... that confirms this is a 'fact'.

:lol:

TFred

Cite please... that confirms this is a 'fact'.

:lol:
I will cite all the many news videos I have ever seen showing the progressive liberals rolling their eyes and condescendingly dismissing the "hicks and hillbillies" who live in the "flyover" states, whenever anyone asks them to comment on any sort of a political news story having to do with the non-coastal areas of the country.

Obviously one cannot cite proof for a generality, but if you don't think it's true, you just haven't paid close enough attention to the opposition.

:)

TFred

Blk97F150

I will cite all the many news videos I have ever seen showing the progressive liberals rolling their eyes and condescendingly dismissing the "hicks and hillbillies" who live in the "flyover" states, whenever anyone asks them to comment on any sort of a political news story having to do with the non-coastal areas of the country.

Obviously one cannot cite proof for a generality, but if you don't think it's true, you just haven't paid close enough attention to the opposition.

:)

TFred

LOL! What I think wasn't in question... I wasn't the one who said it was a 'fact' (that somehow turned into a 'generality' when called on it :lol: )... :banana:

no biggie... just poking.... :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I agree with everything said about typo's but as the king of typo's, I won't throw any rocks.

Point two which has already been made I think....Typo or not, he sent it out and seems to always be the first and many times, the only one, to send something.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You're sounding more like a cop every day.
I guess it's like being ugly, you can cover it up...but it never goes away.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Evil abounds when good men do nothing...

Under your line of thinking we wouldn't be eating at Jimmy Johns. Glad that wasn't handled the way you think.

Yep - and Olive Garden n' Red Lobster n' Starbucks n' O'Charley's - the list goes on and on
icon14.png

Last edited:

B. Reddy

Should be interesting to see how they respond to OC inquiries, since each of the three locations is owned by the on-site manager, and not some far-flung corporate entity.

It's too bad that many of the current residents of Charlottesville have not read up on a fellow who used to live there by the name of Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson.

My favorite quote of his: "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Here's a few more of his thoughts regarding firearms: http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-collections/firearms

Geez, I hope I don't have to give up on their bagels. They really rock.

Bodo

Ed thank you for the card. I was delayed in sending out my letter however I completed and sent out today hopefully we get a positive response

Dear Managers,

I just would like to officially know what Bodo's Bagels policy is on the carrying of firearms while patronizing in your establishment. The reason why I ask is that last Sunday on my way out of town I was legally carrying a holstered firearm. After paying for my food and waiting for it to be ready. I was approached by a worker (I believe a manager) although he did not give his name & title (Preston Ave Store). He asked me if I was a cop. I politely told him I was not. He then told me that "he" does not allow guns in the store, and that I was okay for right now but not in the future. He was then gone just as fast as he appeared.

I take my right to personal protection very seriously. I have a concealed weapons permit by the Commonwealth of Virginia. (Although during the summer time I rarely conceal as it is difficult with summertime attire). I am a law abiding citizen who up until this Sunday enjoyed my daily routine of getting a breakfast sandwich at Bodo’s. However I refuse to spend my hard earned money patronizing at any establishment that denies my right and personal choice to carry a firearm. I was also very surprised when I was told I could not legally carry because I have been carrying in this manner at all of your locations for a while now and I have never been questioned once. On the contrary I have had several pleasant conversations with other patrons while standing in line usually inquiring about the firearms laws in Virginia. In fact you are only the second establishment that has ever told me I could not carry. However after I sent them a letter they admitted they misunderstood Virginia law, and they have since rescinded their policy on forbidding the legal carrying of firearms.

When a business actively forbids the carrying of firearms by legal gun owners you might as well put a sign on your door that says “Legal carrying of firearms not allowed criminals welcome”. I am sure that you can understand that criminals will not care what your policies are. Please let me know what your official policy is I am a member of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. There are thousands of members across the Commonwealth and I would like to let them all know what your position is.

Thank You

So back on topic. Has Bodo's replied and apologized for this mistake? Or are they giving you the cold shoulder?

Hi, Jay. Thanks again for your thoughtful and carefully considered email. My partners and I are always very appreciative to have the opportunity to listen and respond to a customer with a complaint.

Since this issue has "gone public" and taken on a life of its own (for example, see the above postcard) in this forum, I thought that this might be a good place to inquire as to whether you received our return email of June 12.

Best wishes, and thanks for your long-term patronage. It is genuinely appreciated.

Last edited: