• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What kind of 9mm?

BFDMikeCT

I have an M&P 9mm and I love it. I had on shot about 50-75 rounds in my life before I bought my M&P and I did alright, this is the 1st 10 down the pipe at 25'. The last 10 in a 100 round box were just as accurate at 50'. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339033214.690177.jpg

Levi

The one thing I'd have to add to the convo is to buy a larger frame for her if recoil is an issue. You might want to look at a full size .357mag and use .38spl. I'm biased though and prefer revolvers. I just hope you find something you both agree on and she's happy with it.

SovereignAxe

I know you're trying to describe a 9x19mm weapon, but would 9x18 be enough? Specifically the Makarov PM in 9mm Makarov. It's not as powerful as 9mm, but it's more powerful than .380 ACP.

So we decided we'll hit the range on Sunday and start from there, but just so I can address a few things...

How is she going to carry the gun (on her person, purse, etc.)? She would prefer having it in her purse (might get her a stun gun (that doesn't shoot out) to place on her belt loop. She's already been in a bad situation before, and would prefer to make sure we have a couple of choices.)

How large/small are her hands? She has CONSIDERABLY small hands, if it helps seems kind of funky since she's 5'6" :) lol. [Small? Check]
What size gun would she favor? What about the gun's weight? Something small enough to fit in small hands comfortably, and light enough so it's not a burden on her back, being in her purse. [ehhh, we're pushing it at a little over a pound, but not too much]
Does she want a double or single stacked magazine? Single. [single stack? check]
How much experience does she have with handguns? Very little to none. The only times she has shot a gun was when I took her to the range shooting. Shot my .45, my friend's 9mm glock, my dad's british 303, and a combat shottie.
What about action types? I'm not the best with judging this one. Care to elaborate a little more? I, in no way, say I am amazingly good with terminology or functions of guns, just how to use them and what has a good kick to it. [the PM is traditional DA/SA]
With or without external safety? With [check]
Is price a factor? I hate saying no to this one, because you can place safety with a price, but we are on a tight budget (or at least I know I am...she gets some money from her parents, but they are against guns so she can't say she needs some extra for a gun..lol). [Less than $300? Check]

I was thinking of a glock 9mm, but when I watched her firing my buddy's, it seemed a bit awkward for her, and unnatural, so I'm going to say no to a Glock.

Hopefully this can help with a few more base ideas??

Ha ha ha ha...I'm assuming this is directed towards decklin, but if it's towards me...then...perhaps :banana:

It's a steel framed gun, so it's not the lightest gun ever, but it is small, so it's light for a steel frame. It's also an extremely simple weapon, extremely reliable and ammo is relatively cheap.

Last edited:

merc460

I know you're trying to describe a 9x19mm weapon, but would 9x18 be enough? Specifically the Makarov PM in 9mm Makarov. It's not as powerful as 9mm, but it's more powerful than .380 ACP.

It's a steel framed gun, so it's not the lightest gun ever, but it is small, so it's light for a steel frame. It's also an extremely simple weapon, extremely reliable and ammo is relatively cheap.

That is what I carry. I use Buffalo Bore 115 gr. ammo, it's hotter than the standard 94 gr. stuff. I just bought a Beretta PX4 and awaiting my holster to show up so I can carry it. I do like my Mak., but anxious to see how the Beretta carries.

davidmcbeth

Banned
go to a 380 .. nice little bersa or something ... worried about kick, right? A girl won;t shoot a gun if she thinks it may be too much to handle (makes sense)

9mm is no positive change from 45 ..

hjmoosejaw

A friend of mine is looking for a 9 for his daughter. I've been looking at a lot of reviews on the S&W M&P SHIELD. I haven't heard one bad thing about this gun. A lot of the guys reviewing it have switched from Glock, LC9, Karh, and such for this to be thier new concealed carry gun. Low recoil, accurate, reliable, crisp trigger with a short reset. If you type M&P Shield on youtube, you'll get a lot of input. MSRP 454.00 But most are going for between 379.00 and 400.00. Only thing is though, it comes with 2 mags. Flush for 7+1 or extended for 8+1.

Last edited:

Gil223

My question though is what brand would everyone recommend??

Thanks for the help :) Any other small pointers would most certainly be appreciated!

Everyone would recommend what they carry. I would recommend fit, function and reputation. Personally, I love my Glocks, but own several others from various manufacturers. It sounds like you want to get her an autoloader, so make sure you take the gf with you when you go gun shopping, and be certain she can operate the slide. It's not uncommon for gals to have a difficult time with the slide on semi-autos. If she can't jack a round into the chamber, a pistol will be of no use to her, and you might want to consider a wheel gun. They don't have the capacity of a semi-auto, but - more often than not - the sight and sound of a firearm simply being discharged in a BGs direction will make him go away and rethink his plan (assuming she doesn't really want to kill anybody). Most BGs are opportunists, they see what appears to be an easy mark and go for it, but they generally lack the dedication to walk through lead. The first consideration is "Is the gf capable of operating the gun?" If she can't load it she may as well arm herself with a brick. Next consideration is "Does it fit her hand?" The final consideration can be solved at a range that rents guns, and that is, "Is she comfortable shooting that particular gun and caliber?" My local range allows prospective buyers to "try before you buy", if they have that particular model on the rental line (and they have an extensive selection of rentals, from a Ruger Mark III to a Super-Vee). Just my thoughts. Pax... :)

Last edited:

berettabone

Banned
A lot of people have been suggesting what I consider to be "mouse" guns.....remember, smaller firearms are more difficult to shoot and be accurate with.

Gil223

A lot of people have been suggesting what I consider to be "mouse" guns.....remember, smaller firearms are more difficult to shoot and be accurate with.

I've always been of the opinion that one should carry and shoot whatever gun & ammo combination they are comfortable shooting. I also believe that there is such a thing as "too small a caliber to be effective", and, IMHO that's generally any handgun .32cal and below. Even with today's improved ballistics, the .380acp is pressing one's luck - but it is more effective than a sharp stick! Just my personal thoughts. Pax...