• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interaction with Fellow Citizens!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
The wife and I were in Brighton yesterday, and did a little shopping there. After a break for Starbucks, very OC friendly, BTW.... We decided to hit a few yard sales just to see what might be available. I found one location that was giving away a 4 drawer file cabinet, which I latched onto because it will come in handy as I receive new cases and close others. I'll have a place to store case files now, and have new case files readily available and easily found. But that's another story.

While at one particular garage sale, a couple approached me to ask whether I was a cop or licensed to open carry. I explained that open carry is legal, and the basics of concealed carry; like how to go about getting a permit and other relevant information. But I emphasized that open carry is entirely legal in most of Colorado so long as a citizen can visit a gun store, apply for and pass a background check to purchase a handgun, and walk out with a gun. The woman I was speaking with works for... ready for this.... wait for it..... City and County of Denver! I explained that sorta sucks for her, but that she could open carry anywhere else, and would need to get a permit to carry concealed in Denver. Turns out she lives in Hudson (northeast of Brighton about 14 miles) and would need to get her license from either Adams or Weld county, depending on where she's at.

While talking with that couple, another woman approached and wanted to learn more about carry rights and I was able to fill her in as well. I had my wife fetch her purse and show how it has a concealed compartment for her handgun but is easily accessible without opening the handbag. I was able to answer her questions and give her some information to go on, when a 3rd couple approached and wanted to learn about carry in Colorado.

Before long, I'd been able to positively influence 3 different couples on open carry in Colorado, give them facts about concealed carry and how to obtain permits, and how to exercise their rights with open carry within our state.

I was wearing my new 1911 A1 Rock Island, which probably was real noticable contrasted with that nickle plated finish against my darker clothing.

What I found impressive is how folks were curious about the right to carry, wanted to learn more, and were absorbing information like sponges. One of the women I spoke with made clear why such interest was manifesting "It's getting dangerous out there!" I told her that was why I carry, and have encouraged my wife to carry too.

With each person I spoke with, the subject of police response times came up, and how they are only minutes away when seconds mean the difference between life and death. One person asked "Are you prepared to shoot somebody?" I answered "I don't shoot to kill. I shoot to stay alive. When the chips are down, I will survive." They seemed to understand that one. I closed such discussions with "Are you willing to defend your own life? Or your wife? Or your children? Who deserves to live? You, or the criminal who threatens your live and the lives of your loved ones?"

As we drove away, with the filing cabinet safely ensconced in the back of the Jeep, we pondered how much interest there is among folks who have noticed that our society is becoming increasingly hazardous for those unprepared to defend themselves. My hope is that someone I interacted with may one day thank me for giving them information that saved a life!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Medic1210

Awesome post! Great to hear about positive encounters with civilians interested in learning more about carrying a firearm. I thoroughly enjoy any chance I get to educate folks around me on the need to carry a gun all the time.

MKEgal

This story is obviously completely fabricated...
Everyone knows that people will run screaming in terror at the sight of a gun on the hip of anyone but a uniformed police officer! :rolleyes:

Seriously, sounds like a good afternoon.

Superlite27

IMHO, What an excellent opportunity to hand someone an OCDO challenge coin.

Imagine a world in which all OC'ers did this when interacting with a member of the public curious about OC.

wmodavis

Mel is a natural IMO. A good teacher and proponent of this important right which we must fight for and be willing to talk about to educate those who do not understand.
Hopefully some day I'll be able to see his new 1911. The picture was good but I expect the real thing to be better.

SpringsColt

I'm just going to come right out and thank your beautiful 1911 for these interactions you've been having lately! Seriously people, if this isn't a spokesman for trading in all your plastic guns and buying a good old 1911, I don't know what is! (Although it disturbs me to no end to see polymer 1911 frames coming out now...WTFO? Browning must be spinning in his grave!) Seriously though, it's to be commended for stepping bravely into the wild each day, and knowing you ambassadors are out there teaching the sheep makes me sleep better at night. Or day, depending which shift I am working!

Great post. Cheers.

Knowledge

I had a few encounters like this with some individuals, it really makes up for the encounters with the hoplophibics. I enjoyed reading your post, keep teaching.
P.E.A.C.E.
Proper.Education.Always.Corrects.Errors

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Nickle plated"? You carry a pimp gun?

Or have you perhaps confused the proper term for chrome plating?

Yeah, I know both techniques work. It's just that someone has to work to preserve standards.*

stay safe.

* See, for example, http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/ for an explanation of the differences.

M-Taliesin

"Nickle plated"? You carry a pimp gun?

Or have you perhaps confused the proper term for chrome plating?

Yeah, I know both techniques work. It's just that someone has to work to preserve standards.*

stay safe.

* See, for example, http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/ for an explanation of the differences.

Howdy Skidmark!
Probably so. I wouldn't know the difference between nickle plated or chrome if I had to testify in court and my life depended on the answer.
So your link was beneficial, and I surely do appreciate you providing it for me.

I wear this particular pistol when I am dressed up a bit better. It ain't what I'd take out on a bounty hunt though.
I use a pistol that is all matte black, my P94 Ruger .40 cal.
When going tactical, I don't need a handgun that will glint light; whether it is chrome or nickle being somewhat irrelevant to whether it draws fire in my direction! LOL!

So when I dress up, and I strap on the 1911, is it appropriate to ask the wife "Does this handgun make my butt look big?"

Thanks again for the link.
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Bellum_Intus

Chrome won't get ya home...But it will get ya lei'd...(US old racers, love that..)

lmao!! blast from the past for sure!..

Don't ya know chrome makes it go faster, it vents heat allowing the engine (or gun) more horsepower!

*now to check my muffler bearings and blinker fluid*

Oh, and I threw a johnson rod last night, man that sucks...

--Rob

Last edited:

F350

Had a rather funny this afternoon....Walked into an Arby's and young guy behind the counter says "You're wearing a Glock hat but you're not carrying a Glock".

I said "Good eye; most people never notice. I got the hat from Gunny personally and while I like Gunny and I like Glock my heart belongs to John Moses Browning".

He just laughed and took my order.

A few days ago I had come out of a store at a strip mall and while I was getting ready to get in my car a guy in the passenger side of a Chevy 2500 said "You get hassled very often for that"?

me} "Never have".

2500} "I see all the videos on U-Tube of guys getting hassled for open carry".

me} "Probably never seen one from the western slope; hell I've even encountered a Grand Junction cop on the university campus and all he did was say 'Nice hat' about this" and pointed to my GLOCK hat.

We talked a bit and he said he was going to have to try OC, and I told him to check out this site.

Bellum_Intus

I said "Good eye; most people never notice. I got the hat from Gunny personally and while I like Gunny and I like Glock my heart belongs to John Moses Browning".

He just laughed and took my order.

A few days ago I had come out of a store at a strip mall and while I was getting ready to get in my car a guy in the passenger side of a Chevy 2500 said "You get hassled very often for that"?

me} "Never have".

2500} "I see all the videos on U-Tube of guys getting hassled for open carry".

me} "Probably never seen one from the western slope; hell I've even encountered a Grand Junction cop on the university campus and all he did was say 'Nice hat' about this" and pointed to my GLOCK hat.

We talked a bit and he said he was going to have to try OC, and I told him to check out this site.

lol! I had a very similar interaction the other day wearing my Ruger shirt! I carry a 92FS.. Was in Safeway and someone said "that doesn't look like a Ruger to me" .. heh..

--Rob