• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc, no big deal

bellyfat

i live in an oc state. been living here for over 30 years and have never seen an oc. exept security guards.
i think partly because its not taboo, partly because most prefer cc.
i dont want to oc. because i feel i may be a target for a grab.
i cant see everyone or read anyones mind. in my mind IF i were to rob a store and the clerk was an oc. i would probably draw my cc and shoot him first.
criminals dont show their cards, why should i?
i wish i knew how many cc's are in the state of north carolina. and that fact alone is why criminals are playing russian roulett when they commit armed robery.
but everyone has his own opinion. carry on anyway you like, just carry on.
opposing opinions welcome. im not close minded. this is just my take on the subject.

Medic1210

I live in the same state, and have had my CHP since 2001. I have recently started OC a few months ago after coming across this site, and have found I actually prefer that over CC. I admit, I was nervous at first, but after a few times out, I realized I don't get much attention. As for your concerns regarding OC making you a target, well, that's one of those fears that has no statistical evidence to support it. I liken it to the irrational fears the anti-gunners have regarding law abiding citizens carrying concealed in the first place. You know, the ones about blood running down the street, every street corner will become O.K. Corral, folks shooting each other over parking spaces, etc. Another comparison would be the folks that argue seatbelt use on the chance they could be trapped in the car after the wreck and die as a result. Sorry, but the numbers just don't add up.

Regarding your comment as to how you would think if you were a criminal, well, you can't think like them if you aren't one. Here's an interesting thread you should read regarding how the criminal mind works. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oke-with-a-Convicted-Fellon-Saturday-about-OC.

The problem I have with CC is just that... It's hidden, and I look just like anybody else. Personally, I'd rather not look like an easy target for a criminal, because once he has me in his sights, my chances of drawing from concealment and shooting him before he shoots me is really low. I feel that a criminal may see me armed, and being the lazy coward criminals tend to be, he'll just decide the risk doesn't outweigh the possible reward, and will move on to someone else. Fact is, many criminals don't want a challenge. They want their robberies or muggings to be quick, and relatively easy, and if they know 100% for sure their intended victim is armed, the chances of a quick and easy score goes down dramatically, so they just decide to find someone who doesn't appear armed.

I don't knock CC at all, and actually do this whenever I feel it's warranted, however, I prefer to OC whenever I'm allowed by law. To each their own. Just carry a gun.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I live in NC and I had a CCW, dropped it because I never CC, I only OC. The only reason I got the CC to begin with was to buy guns without the annoying wait on a NCIC check. Many have a permit just for this reason. But I can get a PP and hang onto it to buy long guns without the insta check which is never instant. I have had some take as much as two hours.

There simply is no stats to support being the first one shot in a robbery or other crime. In fact there are few stats to support crimes even being committed in the presence of a OCer. If you have some please relate I would be interested in hearing them.

OneBadMarine

agree with my personal take on responsible OC

I live in the same state, and have had my CHP since 2001. I have recently started OC a few months ago after coming across this site, and have found I actually prefer that over CC. I admit, I was nervous at first, but after a few times out, I realized I don't get much attention. As for your concerns regarding OC making you a target, well, that's one of those fears that has no statistical evidence to support it. I liken it to the irrational fears the anti-gunners have regarding law abiding citizens carrying concealed in the first place. You know, the ones about blood running down the street, every street corner will become O.K. Corral, folks shooting each other over parking spaces, etc. Another comparison would be the folks that argue seatbelt use on the chance they could be trapped in the car after the wreck and die as a result. Sorry, but the numbers just don't add up.

Regarding your comment as to how you would think if you were a criminal, well, you can't think like them if you aren't one. Here's an interesting thread you should read regarding how the criminal mind works. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oke-with-a-Convicted-Fellon-Saturday-about-OC.

The problem I have with CC is just that... It's hidden, and I look just like anybody else. Personally, I'd rather not look like an easy target for a criminal, because once he has me in his sights, my chances of drawing from concealment and shooting him before he shoots me is really low. I feel that a criminal may see me armed, and being the lazy coward criminals tend to be, he'll just decide the risk doesn't outweigh the possible reward, and will move on to someone else. Fact is, many criminals don't want a challenge. They want their robberies or muggings to be quick, and relatively easy, and if they know 100% for sure their intended victim is armed, the chances of a quick and easy score goes down dramatically, so they just decide to find someone who doesn't appear armed.

I don't knock CC at all, and actually do this whenever I feel it's warranted, however, I prefer to OC whenever I'm allowed by law. To each their own. Just carry a gun.

I agree with your statements. I OC and CC, but I ALWAYS have a CC back up pistol while OC'ing, so that if my weapon were to be compromised I can effect its return, or stop the grabber from using my Pistol on another.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
i live in an oc state. been living here for over 30 years and have never seen an oc. exept security guards.
i cant see everyone or read anyones mind. in my mind IF i were to rob a store and the clerk was an oc. i would probably draw my cc and shoot him first.
i wish i knew how many cc's are in the state of north carolina. and that fact alone is why criminals are playing russian roulett when they commit armed robery.
opposing opinions welcome. im not close minded. this is just my take on the subject.

Yours is a very popular opinion. A little research will have you rethinking some of it. Can you find ANY cases of an OC'er being shot first in any robbery ever? Yet, you will find video footage of thugs leaving a convenience store after noticing the presence of an OC'er. Thugs are lazy; they don't want a fight; they want easy money. They will just move on to the next store. Life is not TV.

As for your conclusion, you are absolutely right. I don't care how you carry. If you are a good guy, I just want you carrying, period.

Medic1210

Yours is a very popular opinion. A little research will have you rethinking some of it. Can you find ANY cases of an OC'er being shot first in any robbery ever? Yet, you will find video footage of thugs leaving a convenience store after noticing the presence of an OC'er. Thugs are lazy; they don't want a fight; they want easy money. They will just move on to the next store. Life is not TV.

As for your conclusion, you are absolutely right. I don't care how you carry. If you are a good guy, I just want you carrying, period.

There is a recent case in Virginia, where an open carrier had his weapon grabbed, and he was subsequently shot and killed with it. Now, does that mean it's a reason to rethink OC? I don't think so, but it cannot be argued that it has happened at least once. For me, it doesn't change my opinion on the risk. Personally, I feel the risk of being shot while trying to get a gun from concealment is higher than my risk of having my gun grabbed while OC.

Medic1210

Yeah, only difference is, the concealed weapon wasn't found until after the attack, and during a pat down, whereas, the OC weapon was targeted specifically after being seen. Like I said, that one case doesn't change my opinion of OC. I merely pointed out that there was at least one documented case of an OC'er being killed as a direct result of the visibility of his weapon making him a target. Crap can happen anywhere. You gotta stay alert no matter how you choose to carry.

At any rate, I'm curious if the OP even has any desire to return to this thread. This was his first post, and he hasn't responded yet. We'll see...

Aknazer

After taking a look at the OP's post here and elsewhere on the forum the only thing I can say is

[video=youtube;1orMXD_Ijbs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1orMXD_Ijbs[/video]

bellyfat

returning

Yeah, only difference is, the concealed weapon wasn't found until after the attack, and during a pat down, whereas, the OC weapon was targeted specifically after being seen. Like I said, that one case doesn't change my opinion of OC. I merely pointed out that there was at least one documented case of an OC'er being killed as a direct result of the visibility of his weapon making him a target. Crap can happen anywhere. You gotta stay alert no matter how you choose to carry.

At any rate, I'm curious if the OP even has any desire to return to this thread. This was his first post, and he hasn't responded yet. We'll see...

well i was just waiting to hear oposing theories to my post. i am new to any carry and had a novice opinion.
i think open carry does have its good point. not to get off subject but; the mention that bg's are lazy and cowardly is true.
i once almost became a victim at a con. store. i just happend to see a reflection in the store window as i was leaving and going to my car.
a thug was on a dead run for me from behind. i was not armed but i spun around with my fist closed and said com'on sucker. he then turned and ran the other way. he wanted the element of surprise. but i surprised him.
so open carry does have its merrits. if i was oc'ing he probably wouldnt have came after me to start with.
i hope no one thinks im puting down on oc. ive got alot to learn about being armed in any fashion. so i am open minded...thanks

MyWifeSaidYes

bellyfat said:
... have never seen an oc. exept security guards.
And police officers, right?
I don't know who prefers what, nor how many. I prefer open carry.

If you already see yourself as a victim, you may not be safe carrying concealed, either.

i cant see everyone or read anyones mind.
Nor should you try...causes too much stress

in my mind IF i were to rob a store and the clerk was an oc. i would probably draw my cc and shoot him first.
Armed clerks tend to watch the customers more closely. Open carriers can often draw their gun more quickly than a concealed carrier. Of those people I have met, open carriers practice more often. Very few times is a first shot completely or immediately incapacitating. Why would you risk shooting at someone who may have already noticed you, might draw faster than you, be a better shot than you and could return fire even if hit?

You are not thinking like a criminal. Clerk has a gun? Come back when clerk is off duty -or- just go hit a different store.
I don't know. I guess you don't have to.
i wish i knew how many cc's are in the state of north carolina.
Contact your state Attorney General's office. They should be able to provide those statistics. Here in Ohio, we have just under 300,000
and that fact alone is why criminals are playing russian roulett when they commit armed robery.
Not alone. I would cut them with a knife, beat them with a baseball bat, hit them with a rock, pinch, kick and bite them, IF I did not have a gun.
As mentioned previously, this IS Open Carry Dot Org

well i was just waiting to hear oposing theories to my post. i am new to any carry and had a novice opinion.
You could have read any several of the thousands of posts on this forum, but it's always good to get fresh input from new folks!
i think open carry does have its good point. not to get off subject but; the mention that bg's are lazy and cowardly is true.
For the most part. I'm sure there are some exceptions out there. I don't want to meet them, but I plan on being armed if I do.
i once almost became a victim at a con. store. i just happend to see a reflection in the store window as i was leaving and going to my car.
a thug was on a dead run for me from behind. i was not armed but i spun around with my fist closed and said com'on sucker. he then turned and ran the other way. he wanted the element of surprise. but i surprised him.
so open carry does have its merrits. if i was oc'ing he probably wouldnt have came after me to start with.
A good lesson to learn from. Are you armed all the time now, or do you pick and choose?
i hope no one thinks im puting down on oc. ive got alot to learn about being armed in any fashion. so i am open minded...thanks
From your earlier post, you did seem a little anti-OC. As long as you do not begrudge others the right to OC, everyone is happy!

bellyfat

not anti

no im not anti oc. sorry if i seemed that way. at least im still weighing the good/bad aspects of it.
in my state i cant carry in a resturaunt that serves alcohol, a bank or any gov. buildings so i have to pick and choose.
i live in a very conservative farming community and i know where not to go at all. but when im traveling out of state for my job,
i have to go by that states laws, so im forced to pick and choose open or concealed but its always one way or the other...i dont go naked. ps. Ill. is on my black list. i dont go there or any red state.

nobama

no im not anti oc. sorry if i seemed that way. at least im still weighing the good/bad aspects of it.
in my state i cant carry in a resturaunt that serves alcohol, a bank or any gov. buildings so i have to pick and choose.
i live in a very conservative farming community and i know where not to go at all. but when im traveling out of state for my job,
i have to go by that states laws, so im forced to pick and choose open or concealed but its always one way or the other...i dont go naked. ps. Ill. is on my black list. i dont go there or any red state.

If your talking about NC, you can carry into banks. I know for a fact you can OC into a bank, and I believe a law has passed where cc is legal in a bank. Someone else might refresh my memory.

WalkingWolf

If your talking about NC, you can carry into banks. I know for a fact you can OC into a bank, and I believe a law has passed where cc is legal in a bank. Someone else might refresh my memory.

I'll have to do some digging, as far as I know it is only OC in banks, but then that is the only way I carry. I wish though we could OC in restaurants that serve alcohol, but I make it point to only go in restaurants that are non alcohol. Though if push comes to shove and the wife insists we eat in a alcohol licensed establishment, I leave it in the trunk, and OC a bowie instead.

okiephlyer

OC or CC. I look at it as the difference between strategy and tactics. Strategy is what you use to try to avoid a bad situation. Tactics is what you use if your strategy fails. OC has a strategic advantage, BG knows you are not an easy target. If BG insists on attacking in any manner, CC has a slight tactical disadvantage in the slight increase in time to draw and present the BG with incentive to cease and desist. The element of surprise with CC doesn't present itself early enough in the confrontation to avoid it altogether. Personally, I prefer strategic advantage.