• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Erik Scott

Bellum_Intus

This is why I BEG, PLEAD, and beg some more that my OC friends JUST LEAVE when asked to do so.. You can take care of complaints later, arguing in the store with a bunch of liberal hippies reliant on the government to take a pee, is the WRONG place to talk about OC, CC or 2A..

I feel for his family. LEO's are SUPPOSED to be trained... I've taken some POST classes, if the story is true, they at least need some remedial training, if not replace their JHP with paintballs..

--Rob

Last edited:

nkunnen

This is why I BEG, PLEAD, and beg some more that my OC friends JUST LEAVE when asked to do so.. You can take care of complaints later, arguing in the store with a bunch of liberal hippies reliant on the government to take a pee, is the WRONG place to talk about OC, CC or 2A..

I feel for his family. LEO's are SUPPOSED to be trained... I've taken some POST classes, if the story is true, they at least need some remedial training, if not replace their JHP with paintballs..

--Rob

I agree....

KBCraig

This is why I BEG, PLEAD, and beg some more that my OC friends JUST LEAVE when asked to do so..
Except, Erik Scott was not asked to leave. The manager said, "You can't have that in here," they talked, and then the manager left him alone to continue his shopping.

Unknown to the manager, loss prevention called the police.

Last edited:

Bellum_Intus

Except, Erik Scott was not asked to leave. The manager said, "You can't have that in here," they talked, and then the manager left him alone to continue his shopping.

Unknown to the manager, loss prevention called the police.

Direct quote:

"Scott and his girlfriend had been shopping in the Costco, but had been asked to leave when an employee spotted Scott’s lawfully carried handgun."

It was also indicated that he was arguing with employees.. unfortunately, a fatal error in judgement..

Not that I condone Costco, or the PD in this case. he was asked to leave..
I have never been asked to leave anywhere in 10 years, however, if asked.. I'd just say sorry for the inconvenience, leave, and shoot off letters..

--Rob

Last edited:

KBCraig

Direct quote:

"Scott and his girlfriend had been shopping in the Costco, but had been asked to leave when an employee spotted Scott’s lawfully carried handgun."
Those are the writer's words, and he doesn't cite any source.

The girlfriend said he was not asked to leave. There was conflicting testimony at the time of the inquest.

Bellum_Intus

Those are the writer's words, and he doesn't cite any source.

The girlfriend said he was not asked to leave. There was conflicting testimony at the time of the inquest.

Regardless, it's just plain STUPID to argue with people on private property re: guns.. esp, when you are carrying..
Again, I feel for the family, but i'd never put myself in that position.. I am all for defending my rights, hell I spent 18 years in the US Army doing just that.. but being alive to defend your rights beats what happened here..

--Rob

bogidu

Case in point

The last two posts are the whole point, either you have a policy (and POST it!) or you don't. You don't have unwritten policies and enforce them whenever and wherever you want. . . . inconsistent application of rules gets people killed. That'd be like, I only follow the 3 basic firearms rules on odd days. . . . .I don't like russian roulette.

Bellum_Intus

The last two posts are the whole point, either you have a policy (and POST it!) or you don't. You don't have unwritten policies and enforce them whenever and wherever you want. . . . inconsistent application of rules gets people killed. That'd be like, I only follow the 3 basic firearms rules on odd days. . . . .I don't like russian roulette.

I agree there, like Starbucks, they have gone public (some time ago) and stated the will follow the local laws, it's even posted within their corporate website.. Too bad other companies don't have the .. balls .. to come out and post policies publicly..

Employees should be trained as to how to handle things like this.. if it's no carry, fine, I take my business elsewhere.. if it's ok.. then cool, but rogue employees too scared to wipe thier butts without the nanny state watching over them should NOT affect their policy..

--Rob

rushcreek2

This needless death appears to be on the loss prevention officer's shoulders.

I sympathize to an extent with the LEO's who felt that they had to shoot - BUT.........

COPS are being trained to draw their weapons, and aim them at people FIRST........
and asked questions later. (Again - "officer Safety")

Why is it that "officer safety" has taken the front seat ?

One reason is that most officers are assigned solo- without a partner . This must stop.

LEO partner assignments ( as in "Adam 12") facilitate coordinated techniques in approaching suspects that preclude robotic knee-jerk reactions like this one that ended in the unnecessary death of a law-abiding citizen that very well could have been you, or I.

Last edited:

KBCraig

Regardless, it's just plain STUPID to argue with people on private property re: guns.. esp, when you are carrying..
I agree, but again: the characterization of Scott "arguing" came from those with jobs and money at stake in the outcome of the investigation and inquest.

Arguing, versus discussing, versus asking for clarification, are all matters of degree and perception. When only one party is alive to recount the conversation, and it happens to be someone whose ass is on the line, the details and perception just might change a bit, don't you think?

Bellum_Intus

I agree, but again: the characterization of Scott "arguing" came from those with jobs and money at stake in the outcome of the investigation and inquest.

Arguing, versus discussing, versus asking for clarification, are all matters of degree and perception. When only one party is alive to recount the conversation, and it happens to be someone whose ass is on the line, the details and perception just might change a bit, don't you think?

True, I wasn't there so there's no way to know what *really* happened. BUT .. I still recommend that people just leave when asked, it's not worth your life when it can be resolved offline.

--Rob

FallonJeeper

True, I wasn't there so there's no way to know what *really* happened. BUT .. I still recommend that people just leave when asked, it's not worth your life when it can be resolved offline.

--Rob

Yeah but unlike the hokey trespass signs, that warn "Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again", the penalty for trespass shouldn't be death. That's all he did at the very most, as far as I know, he never threatened anybody's safety.