• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any ideas for an OC picnic in the Prestonsburg/Painstville area?

Acuzio

UPDATE: July 7th in Prestonsburg at Pig in a Poke at Noon. We look forward to seeing you all there, bring a friend and bring your sidearm.

So I've been thinking lately about the OC events going on in Lexington and the recently passed one in Ashland, these are both a fair milage away from me so I couldn't attend. I'm wanting to know if you folks have any ideas for something we could setup around here. I figure with the nice warm weather and such maybe we could plan something nice in the area maybe do a little flyer advertising? (not sure if the advertising would be a good idea.) Just something to get folks together and maybe spread the word a little.

Last edited:

09jisaac

There is two that come up from Prestonsburg and I am from Louisa, so we might get enough to go.

I am wanting to do a pig roast some time this summer. I think we can all chip in and eat like kings.

Acuzio

*drool* That would be awesome. Try to get the other two guys in on this so we can kinda plan things out. Who knows if it shapes out well we might be able to do it semi regularly. Just need to think of a place we can actually OC I started this thinking herp herp we can do it at one of the lakes. Then I realized they're ACOE property about halfway in.

09jisaac

Then I realized they're ACOE property about halfway in.

In my opinion, it is completely pointless to limit firearm possession just because it is ACOE property. Most don't have anything worth targeting.

Neuroblades is one from Pburg and he brings a friend. He'll read this soon enough. We might can even get someone of the Ashland boys in on it.

neuroblades

OK, Let's Discuss This Idea.

Sorry I haven't been on the board in a bit. I've been dealing with some issues at work and about the time I've gotten those settled, then I hear more bad things but that's neither here nor there. Been dealing with some bad issues as of late and trying ot get them settled, if possible.

I'd be willing to give the idea a go on the more local level to see how things work out. If we have this at a local lake, it would have to be at Prestonsburg's Dewey Lake because Paintsville Lake is off limits to firearms. Dewey Lake only limits carry inside the spillway area, not the lake itself. This woul mean that if we had it at Dewey Lake, we'd have to have it at a picnic table along the lake itself.

We could have it at the lodge though, I've carried there before and never had any bad encounters. Carry is legal in State Parks!

We could have the meeting at one of the local restaurants, I've carried in most all of the local one's in Prestonsburg and some of those in Paintsville. Of the two, I'd say that Prestonsburg would be the better of the two though.

As for the idea of advertising this, that's not good, I remember when Liberty and some of the guys in Lexington nearly had one destroyed over that. It became a legal amtter very quickly when word got out down there! It has to do with the fact that it'll be an event that is publicly promoted and there will be a weapons event. If we did advertise, we'd have to get permits, have a VERY EXPENSIVE insurance policy made out for it and I can't remember what else. The details of that "picnic" are still on the forum here if you folks want to look it up.

We can promote it via the net, forum, and word of mouth without all those nasty issues though, that's how they got around it without issue. If we're approached by LEO's, we just tell them that it's a get together of 2nd Amendment advocates.

The weekend of June 16th & 17th is no a good date, the Lexington Gunshow will be going on that weekend. Been looking forward to this one! :)

So, let's discuss this idea folks.

Acuzio

Sweet, thanks for the info man. If we do decide on the lake the shelter near the old skyway is in pretty good condition, had a few grills left if I remember correctly . I did not know that Dewey was ok for OC I knew the spillway wasn't but not the rest of it. Let's see what kind of interest we can build up and think up a date to run it. If we get enough people coming we could do like Isaac said and roast a pig. :p That'd draw in people for sure.

neuroblades

Hmmmm..... I've never had pig before but I reason that it has to be something like bacon and ham combined. *LOL*

Yeah, Dewey is cool, I've never had any issues there before, it's only "signed" as you go down into the spillway. My CCDW instructor knows the ACoE guy over that area, says that he can be a hard-ass even though he took classes from him. *LOL*

If we did Dewey Lake there are only 3 picnic shelters that I'm aware of over there. The one you mentioned, not sure of the condition of it, it's been more than a few years since I was up there. The other one is around the lake on the left near a small boat launch that's also on the left. The last one I'm aware of is "Picnic Hollow", it's on this side of the dam and outside of the "signed" area. I'll talk to some folks about that one. I know it's in the best shape of the 3 and it's used regularly and has bathroom facilities. Granted, if we actually end up following through with a pig roast, I figure we'll need a pit to do it in and those grill would be too small; just guessing.

The issue as I see it right now is getting enough people on-board to really make this thing fly, if we do the pig roast. I know when I was trying to get the EKOC thing going, I kept pitching the idea of an OC get together for awhile on the local level to no avail. There just weren't enough folks around here that wanted to be a part of it and so I had to expand the idea to that Ashland area to get some folks involved.

Start asking around but don't just run out and ask every single person you might run across, we want people but we DON'T want people that might end up causing problems or creating trouble. We need responsible folks that are really interested in OC/CC. The folks don;t have to currently be "weapons" people, just those that have a real interest in it and would like to hang out, talk and ask all the questions they want. *LOL* I don't mean to sound like a "downer" about that but I'm well aware of the implication if we ended up with some "Billy Bob" yahoo that likes to tote his Granddaddy's old WW 1 pistol and just has to pull it out and flash it around. We want responsible folks like ourselves. I know you folks already know all this but I just wanted to voice this one major concern. Not only do we NOT want to create an issue and have a bad encounter with local LEO's but we also want to create a good public image of the responsible gun owner when and if we encounter others to talk with.

OK, I guess the first thing we need to decide on here is if you folks want to go for the pig roast idea or start out with something simple and work towards that goal. If we want to work towards the pig roast, then we'll need to know the financials. How many people at what cost per person, things like that.

Personally, being that this is a firt time around for this idea on the local level, I think we need to keep it simple but still see how many folks we can get mobilized for a basic Meet & Greet. That will give us some idea how well we would do with the goal idea. If you folks would rather do this M&G at a restaurant, I know of a GREAT BBQ place in Prestonsburg where we could do it or if you'd rather just grab something in Prestonsburg and meet up at the lake we could do that.

So folks, what is it be?

Last edited:

Acuzio

Either would be fine by me with just the three possibly four of us though probably be best to start small. As for inviting random idiots trust me I know, fun tale for a later day about a bad gun owner I know. I'd almost say we should try to do something on the 4th of July. (Mandatory Mericuh! hooah?) Be pretty busy, lots of folks who might end up coming over out of curiosity and give us a chance to teach them. Course that could also end bad.. Hmm.. Either way I'm all for it.

neuroblades

If you folks would like to try for July 4th, we can but being that that's a weekend and a holiday, chances are I'll end up at work. I kind of traded ALL holidays for the Christmas hoilday's and New Year's Eve holiday off, being that I end up having family in from out of state. But we can work for July 4th if everyone likes the idea.

I do agree, there would be alot more folks out and about on the 4th, not really sure if that would be good or bad, some "Brady Bunch" parents might make waves above and beyond what they should.

I was talking to some folks today, trying to drum up more folks for this outing and one of them pointed out another possible location for us to look at, Archer Park! It's in the middle of Prestonsburg. I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing. They have grills, if we wanted to do grilling but there are kids around the area. Before we could move forward with that location, I'd need to see if the city oens it or someone else. I know that they do not have any signs posted in the park and I've never had an issue there. They do employee a park "security" though but i've never had any encounters with them in the past.

neuroblades

I'll continue to look into the Archer Park site.

I guess the first thing we need to decide is do we want to have this indoor's or outdoor's? Once we nail that down then we can narrow it down and work towards having this. Everyone chime in.

Acuzio

I think that would depend more on how the weather is going to be whenever we set this up. If its stupid hot out probably better to go inside.

neuroblades

OK, indoor's it is then. There a very nice BBQ place in Prestonsburg called "Pig In A Poke". Does everyone know where it's located?

Now all we need is a set date when we'll all get together.

neuroblades

Pig In A Poke is just past Food City, do you know where that is? Wendy's moved from that old location to a nicer place near to the Unemployment office.

If we get all of us, that will be 6 that I know of. I'd like to see at least 10 though.

Any input from you folks?

Acuzio

Yea I worked the census in 10 over there so I know the town better than my own. Wonder if Isaac is still interested.

mem1977

I'm all in on this idea!

I live near Prestonsburg and Paintsville. I carry all the time in these areas and I've never had a problem. I've carried in Archer Park with no problems either. The only issue I have with Archer Park is that the local high school in Prestonsburg uses the tennis courts in that park for their school games. There is a BIG sign at the courts that says, "Home of the Blackcat Tennis Team". So if an open carry event were held there. Would there be an issue with local police trying tell us its a school zone or some crap like that. Other than that regardless of where the event would be at... I'm all in... Lets get this going.

:monkey:banana:

neuroblades

According to my sources, Archer Park is city owned so there shouldn't be any issue there really. Besides, scool's out now and just because they play tennis there whenever they play shouldn't make it off limits as it's not part of the school system. It's like the Louisville Zoo claiming that just becasue class tour went through there that it was a school zone. *LOL*

As was mentioned above, due to the changing weather from possible rain one minute to high temperature's the next, we might want to look at having this indoor's where we won't have to deal with changing weather and it's cooler. So, indoor's or out?