Thread: Please clear up the following law...18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms..

Please clear up the following law...18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms..

I searched and read through some old threads and still was unable to find an answer.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Now although I OC, I do have a CHP. Does that mean by having the CHP I am allowed to OC my Hand gun that has a threaded barrel?
    Last edited by 007boarder; 06-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 007boarder View Post
    Now although I OC, I do have a CHP. Does that mean by having the CHP I am allowed to OC my Hand gun that has a threaded barrel?
    That's right, with a CHP you can OC in the forbidden areas the forbidden features.

Why is this law still on the books?

I can't believe that anybody can make a credible argument in support of its existence. It flies in the face of the concept of 15.2-915, not saying it's subject to preemption, because it is obviously not, but it makes no logical sense for both of those laws to exist together in the code.

TFred

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Why is this law still on the books?
    If they took this law off the books, then I would have one less thing to talk to my students about in my concealed carry class!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Why?

Simply put, politicians are never interested in fixes. They are interested in "improvements". Improvements can be milked for credit for years. Fixes offer only a one time credit. Thus it is much more difficult to remove bad old law than to enact new bad law. What? Me Cynical? Me?
    Appleseed, Virginia State Coordinator
    Are you a Rifleman yet?
    http://appleseedinfo.org