• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please clear up the following law...18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms..

007boarder

I searched and read through some old threads and still was unable to find an answer.

18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Now although I OC, I do have a CHP. Does that mean by having the CHP I am allowed to OC my Hand gun that has a threaded barrel?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Now although I OC, I do have a CHP. Does that mean by having the CHP I am allowed to OC my Hand gun that has a threaded barrel?

That's right, with a CHP you can OC in the forbidden areas the forbidden features.

TFred

Why is this law still on the books?

I can't believe that anybody can make a credible argument in support of its existence. It flies in the face of the concept of 15.2-915, not saying it's subject to preemption, because it is obviously not, but it makes no logical sense for both of those laws to exist together in the code.

TFred

The Wolfhound

Why?

Simply put, politicians are never interested in fixes. They are interested in "improvements". Improvements can be milked for credit for years. Fixes offer only a one time credit. Thus it is much more difficult to remove bad old law than to enact new bad law. What? Me Cynical? Me?:banghead: