Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jblm cc

Jblm

Is there anyone that actually has their weapons registered with JBLM? I'm a reservist that drives from Spokane to McChord on drill weekends (at least when the weather is nice) and would prefer to take my gun, rather than leaving it here, but would like to make sure I'm still within legal limits (after all, my plans are to go officer eventually..). What is the process I need to take in order to get my .45 registered, and where do I take it when I reach/pick it up when I get ready to leave McChord before/after my drill weekend??

(And I realize you can't CC on base, bad wording for topic, my mistake)
    Last edited by modernknight; 06-04-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Thumbs up

Some of our other active military members can give you the specifics but IIRC i beleive you have to first of all register it by bringing in your information and the weapon information seriel # etc..... to give to the base and then you have to check it in with base security when you actually do bring it with you so they can put it in the armory.

rember it must be unloaded and seperate from the ammunition in a locked case not accessable by the vehicle operator or passengers when you transport on base.

+thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by Schlepnier View Post
    Some of our other active military members can give you the specifics but IIRC i beleive you have to first of all register it by bringing in your information and the weapon information seriel # etc..... to give to the base and then you have to check it in with base security when you actually do bring it with you so they can put it in the armory.

rember it must be unloaded and seperate from the ammunition in a locked case not accessable by the vehicle operator or passengers when you transport on base.

The Armory is usually manned 24/7, correct?? I would hate to get off work and find it closed or something Where would said armory be located? and does my CO need to sign off on the registration??

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Hey TW, your link is broken... Or maybe it's my horrible laptop. Either way, If you want to register your 45, you need to go to Waller Hall and get a post firearm registration form. Then you'll fill it out and you'll have your commander sign it. At no point in any of this process do you take your firearm with you. Technically you can only have it in your vehicle going back and forth to the range to shoot it. But if you're like me, you could get a little lockbox and put it in your trunk. Make sure that it's unloaded and secured in your vehicle at all times on post and out of view.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    Hey TW, your link is broken... Or maybe it's my horrible laptop. Either way, If you want to register your 45, you need to go to Waller Hall and get a post firearm registration form. Then you'll fill it out and you'll have your commander sign it. At no point in any of this process do you take your firearm with you. Technically you can only have it in your vehicle going back and forth to the range to shoot it. But if you're like me, you could get a little lockbox and put it in your trunk. Make sure that it's unloaded and secured in your vehicle at all times on post and out of view.
    +1

The only time you check a personal weapon on post is if you live in the barracks. You can't have weapons in the barracks so you have to check it into your unit armory. It was a pain because you had to have your CO sign off for you to draw it and you had to set an appointment with the armorer to put it back. I had to go through this when I lived in the barracks. I was so happy when I got an apartment.
    Just follow what DamonK said and you'll be fine. If you get searched at the gate and they find it just tell them you're going to the range or other authorized activity. As long as you registered the firearm you are good to go. Do not try to carry on post! JBLM has had multiple shootings over the last 4 years and they have no tolerance for infractions.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    +1

The only time you check a personal weapon on post is if you live in the barracks. You can't have weapons in the barracks so you have to check it into your unit armory. It was a pain because you had to have your CO sign off for you to draw it and you had to set an appointment with the armorer to put it back. I had to go through this when I lived in the barracks. I was so happy when I got an apartment.
    Just follow what DamonK said and you'll be fine. If you get searched at the gate and they find it just tell them you're going to the range or other authorized activity. As long as you registered the firearm you are good to go. Do not try to carry on post! JBLM has had multiple shootings over the last 4 years and they have no tolerance for infractions.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the input

Here is the link for weapons registration:
    http://www.lewis.army.mil/des/le_veh_registration.htm

When you look at the actual registration form, pay attention to the back. It has lots of good info that will keep you out of trouble.

Also, you can register at the visitor center when Waller Hall is closed.
    Last edited by J1MB0B; 06-04-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post

When you look at the actual registration form, pay attention to the back. It has lots of good info that will keep you out of trouble.

So just to be clear, because it says "If you're staying on JBLM..."

Even if I am only staying for Friday night, saturday night, and leaving sunday, I need to have it in the armory? I can't just place it in a locked box in my car, in the trunk (with ammo seperated and secured), and leave it there until I leave??

Quote Originally Posted by J1MB0B View Post

I am glad you found that link, I used to work the gates as one of the Armed Private Security Officers and when I saw this thread, I know that any weapon coming onto the Base has to be registered with the Provost Marshals Office (PMO or Military Police HQ's) Even Civilians who bring shotguns on the base during one of the foul hunting seasons need to pre-register. We had to hold many firearms at the gate until the PMO could get back to us that they were properly registered. So, my advise in this would be to take the PMO approved form that you will get back and get a certified copy of it to carry with you to show at the gates should you happen to be checked.

I am a Retiree who likes going to Range 15 and shooting. Most of my firearms are registered on post if I will be carrying them on and shooting at the range. The back of the registration from makes it clear that:
    Weapons can only be carried in a vehicle when traveling to and from authorized hunting, target practice, matches, or off post locations.

When transporting weapons, they must be secured in the vehicle's trunk or, if the vehicle doesn't have a lockable trunk, encased in such a manner that it's not readily accessible to the driver or passengers.

Weapons must be transported unloaded and ammunition must be stored separately from the weapon.

The registration form must be readily available at all times while a weapon is located on JBLM property.

When entering JBLM vehicle occupants are required to declare the presence of any firearms located in the vehicle.

Concealed weapon permits are not valid on JBLM.
    Last edited by LkWd_Don; 06-05-2012 at 01:30 AM. Reason: typo correction
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement. The faults of a few, reflect badly on many, I therefore do not suggest anyone support WAC. My EDC is either a H&K USP .40 or a Taurus 689 .357 filled with Snake Loads

Quote Originally Posted by modernknight View Post

Even if I am only staying for Friday night, saturday night, and leaving sunday, I need to have it in the armory? I can't just place it in a locked box in my car, in the trunk (with ammo seperated and secured), and leave it there until I leave??

I'm not telling you to do this so whatever you choose to do is on you.
    I would just fill out the form, in box three check "OFF POST", then keep it locked in my truck. While I'm on post I would behave myself and keep my mouth shut.

Just out of curiosity: what IS JBLM?

Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    Joint Base Mchord Lewis
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Joint Base Mchord Lewis
    Not to be a stickler for the details but it is Joint Base Lewis-McChord

Quote Originally Posted by Lovenox View Post
    Not to be a stickler for the details but it is Joint Base Lewis-McChord
    A perfect example of why it's a bad idea to answer posts right when I wake up.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

JBLM has had multiple shootings over the last 4 years and they have no tolerance for infractions.
    Oh really? No report from any news agency around the Puget Sound on multiple shootings on JBLM? I have to call BS but please prove me wrong.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Quote Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
    Our as we call it: "J-BLAM!", or McLewis.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Oh really? No report from any news agency around the Puget Sound on multiple shootings on JBLM? I have to call BS but please prove me wrong.
    Just to throw in a little bit: so far I haven't seen any reportings of violence IN JBLM, however there's been problems overseas with soldiers from JBLM

http://mynorthwest.com/11/652674/Why...ht-not-be-fair

This is a bit recent, highlighting a Staff Sergeant who just shot up 17 civilian afghanistan's while deployed at the end of March. Perhaps this is what he means?

Even when I was in a Stryker Brigade out of Fort Wainwright, Alaska, we still heard quite a bit about "trouble" from the soldiers at Ft. Lewis (since it wasn't JBLM back then)....so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the type of stuff he actually meant to refer towards, perhaps not specifically on JBLM or directly outside..

Quote Originally Posted by modernknight View Post

From their website: "All privately owned weapons being brought onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord property are also required to be registered." (emphasis added)

Remember, SPs conduct random vehicle searches from time to time at the gate. If they find a locked safe, they will have you open it. If they find an unregistered weapon, there will be trouble. Better to just speak to your commander, register the weapon, and stay on the straight & narrow. They will probably want your weapon stored in the armory while you're in billeting, but that policy might vary from base to base.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Here you go, Chief. Took all of 5 seconds.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2009-07-22/j...is?_s=PM:CRIME

Here's another taste.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/2...murder-at.html

There was another shooting in the fall of 2010. I can't find any articles. The report we were given was a soldier on North Fort had a gun in the barracks and was threatening other soldiers. The MP's showed up, he pointed the weapon at them and they shot him.

Those two articles took me less than a minute to dig up.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Let's not forget about these guys just because it was off post and they didn't actually fire a shot.
    http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&file_id=9189

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    From their website: "All privately owned weapons being brought onto Joint Base Lewis-McChord property are also required to be registered." (emphasis added)

Remember, SPs conduct random vehicle searches from time to time at the gate. If they find a locked safe, they will have you open it. If they find an unregistered weapon, there will be trouble. Better to just speak to your commander, register the weapon, and stay on the straight & narrow. They will probably want your weapon stored in the armory while you're in billeting, but that policy might vary from base to base.
    We don't have SPs on Lewis. We have MPs and McChord has SFs(security forces not special forces). Just sayin.

To be "on the straight and narrow" and fill out your form truthfully and honestly, you would register the weapons and check "off post", which would be true because you live off post and you do store your guns in your house right?

Why would your commander want you to bring your guns to the arms room? Is he gonna make everyone in your unit bring their guns every drill weekend?

Even if you do get searched, you will have properly registered weapons and the correct paperwork to show the guards, nobody told you to bring unregistered weapons on post.

Point of clarification.

The registering of a firearm doesn't mean you can carry it. It just allows you to bring it onto post for recreational purposes (eg shooting range or hunting).

The idea that one can check their firearm into an "armory" is a joke. If you have never been in the military... Do not recommend this process.

Permission from your commanding officer and they have limited hours depending on the unit. If not active duty does your unit even have an armory?

So be warned its not recommended to bring a personal self defense firearm onto base. Better to find a local service member in your unit and leave it at their place off post.

Here you go, Chief. Took all of 5 seconds.
    http://articles.cnn.com/2009-07-22/j...is?_s=PM:CRIME

Here's another taste.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/2...murder-at.html

There was another shooting in the fall of 2010. I can't find any articles. The report we were given was a soldier on North Fort had a gun in the barracks and was threatening other soldiers. The MP's showed up, he pointed the weapon at them and they shot him.

Those two articles took me less than a minute to dig up.
    Let's not forget about these guys just because it was off post and they didn't actually fire a shot.
    http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&file_id=9189
    Thanks for the links, so it went from multiple to 2 shootings on base, still 2 to many.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Last I checked multiple meant more than one.
    There are others that if you checked I'm sure you could find.
    Do you realize that in the time it took you to call me a liar you easily could have checked for yourself.
    I did not quote a case study or some obscure reference. I brought up incidents that were on the local and national news. My wife, who did not know me at the time of one of those shootings, was fully aware of the incident involving the woman dissolving bodies in a bathtub. Within a couple hours of the PX shooting my family called me. My family lives all over the country. New England, Nevada, Oregon, Georgia, Florida. So you're telling me that people living some 3,000+ miles away are more aware of what is happening in WA than you?
    I'm sure many people on here knew exactly what I was refering too. It is not my responsibility to cite everything I post, especially when it is public knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast