Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC-ing with a bullet proof vest on

Question OC-ing with a bullet proof vest on

Is anyone aware of the regulations in reguards to OCing while wearing a BP-vest? I know I may come across as paranoid but so would you if you had to drive on church st(gangsters paradise) in Richmond, VA

Thanks for any info yall may have

Herr Heckler Koch

The only mention of body armor in the Code of Virginia

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm

18.2-287.2. Wearing of body armor while committing a crime; penalty.

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post

Any person who, while committing a crime of violence as defined in 18.2-288 (2) or a felony violation of 18.2-248 or subdivision (a) 2 or 3 of 18.2-248.1, has in his possession a firearm or knife and is wearing body armor designed to diminish the effect of the impact of a bullet or projectile shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.
    In other words, as long as you are not committing a crime of violence, you should be good to go, whether you are OC or not.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

So the the key words here are "committing a crime".....

Quote Originally Posted by love4guns View Post
    So the the key words here are "committing a crime".....
    ...of violence".

Exclamation

Two separate citations, Lincoln7.

"Crime of Violence" OR "Felony"

The associated felonies are, of course, drug statutes. Go figure.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Two separate citations, Lincoln7.

"Crime of Violence" OR "Felony"

The associated felonies are, of course, drug statutes. Go figure.
    Thanks, Wylde!
    ie, big picture: crimes of violence or drugs.
    Last edited by Lincoln7; 06-04-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Herr Heckler Koch

You may beat the rap but you will NOT beat the ride.

Is there any chance wear of body armor will be used to enhance a charge of a crime of violence for self-defense using a firearm?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    Thanks, Wylde!
    ie, big picture: crimes of violence or drugs.
    Bigger picture:
    SAFGL

Before you ask
    Stupid Hiney Feel Good Legislation

Last edited by peter nap; 06-04-2012 at 09:42 AM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    OCing while wearing a BP-vest?

Please don't
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

Please don't
    But...But...Jim....it would go so well with my Kevlar helmet, BDU's, KaBar Combat knife, gas mask and leg holster.

It's a Jungle out there.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    It's a Jungle out there.
    And in here, by Jingo! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingoism

Do you own stock in wikipedia Doug? BTW....I thought you were dead

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Please don't
    +1
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Please don't
    Please explain your thinking on this. What could be more innocuous than wearing a safety device?

Would you counsel a bicycle rider not to wear knee pads?

Is this the perception issue again?

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Please explain your thinking on this.
    Is this the perception issue again?
    Bingo. We as a group of individuals exercising a right that most have been slowly, ever so slowly, persuaded is not necessary have a duty to look a certain way, act a certain way. OCing is not about protecting your self it's about maintaining the right to OC. As a part of this unorganized group we don't want you associated with any OTHER group that is seen by society as extreme. (sarcasm)

Of course if you don't care about the peer pressure and only care about being safe in a legal way and getting home to your family go ahead. But shame on you if you do. Those things are really just for cops.
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 06-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post
    Bingo. We as a group of individuals exercising a right that most have been slowly, ever so slowly, persuaded is not necessary have a duty to look a certain way, act a certain way. OCing is not about protecting your self it's about maintaining the right to OC. As a part of this unorganized group we don't want you associated with any OTHER group that is seen by society as extreme.

Of course if you don't care about the peer pressure and only care about being safe in a legal way and getting home to your family go ahead. But shame on you if you do. Those things are really just for cops.
    A good reason.
    One year at the Ashland Strawberry Fair (Very Anti) Grapeshot, Skidmark, Curtis and myself were making the point we could carry. I was videoing and we'd already butted heads with the campus cops, Ashland cops and an idiot lawyer....and won.

I had on an old military vest with pockets stuffed with camera gear and was NOT carrying. One of the news photographers came by and asked if we were a local militia.

That's the last time I wore that on an OC safari.

But...But...Jim....it would go so well with my Kevlar helmet, BDU's, KaBar Combat knife, gas mask and leg holster.

It's a Jungle out there.
    Don't forget the 'Concealed Carry Badge'....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_concealed_handgun_permit_badge_gm.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	8560

Bingo. We as a group of individuals exercising a right that most have been slowly, ever so slowly, persuaded is not necessary have a duty to look a certain way, act a certain way. OCing is not about protecting your self it's about maintaining the right to OC. As a part of this unorganized group we don't want you associated with any OTHER group that is seen by society as extreme.

I have to mention my disagreement with this. Now, I've never openly carried while wearing a bullet-proof vest and likely never will, but there is nothing wrong with it. I choose to carry a weapon to protect myself, promoting the second amendment or OC is only a secondary effect. I also do not have a duty to act or look a certain special way because I carry a firearm. I frankly don't care about how I'm perceived by others; don't give me that "they can vote too" crap, I'm not going to change my life to the irrational whims of others. And "shame on you if you do", is that supposed to be serious?

A good reason.
    One year at the Ashland Strawberry Fair (Very Anti) Grapeshot, Skidmark, Curtis and myself were making the point we could carry. I was videoing and we'd already butted heads with the campus cops, Ashland cops and an idiot lawyer....and won.

I had on an old military vest with pockets stuffed with camera gear and was NOT carrying. One of the news photographers came by and asked if we were a local militia.

That's the last time I wore that on an OC safari.
    Did you get an approved list of clothing you could wear without being thought "extreme".
    Is it anything military looking or just actual old military issued garments? What about colors? Did you get the specific shades you were allowed to wear?
    Ok that sounds more belligerent than I mean it but it seems hypocritical to look down at a fellow who feels more comfortable in a vest, or wearing camo when you KNOW damn well there is someone out there look at YOU the same way every time you walk around town "packing heat like some Wyatt Earp wannabe".

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTimeIsIt? View Post
    I have to mention my disagreement with this. Now, I've never openly carried while wearing a bullet-proof vest and likely never will, but there is nothing wrong with it. I choose to carry a weapon to protect myself, promoting the second amendment or OC is only a secondary effect. I also do not have a duty to act or look a certain special way because I carry a firearm. I frankly don't care about how I'm perceived by others; don't give me that "they can vote too" crap, I'm not going to change my life to the irrational whims of others. And "shame on you if you do", is that supposed to be serious?
    +1

Sorry I've edited the post you quoted to show it was sarcasm.
    They say the more subtle the sarcasm the more effective it is, but text based sarcasm is an art I haven't mastered.

Herr Heckler Koch
    +1 ...text based sarcasm is an art I haven't mastered.
    Indeed. Do tell.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTimeIsIt? View Post
    And "shame on you if you do", is that supposed to be serious?

Haven't you noticed that seems to be...O never mind.

Did you get an approved list of clothing you could wear without being thought "extreme".
    Is it anything military looking or just actual old military issued garments? What about colors? Did you get the specific shades you were allowed to wear?
    Ok that sounds more belligerent than I mean it but it seems hypocritical to look down at a fellow who feels more comfortable in a vest, or wearing camo when you KNOW damn well there is someone out there look at YOU the same way every time you walk around town "packing heat like some Wyatt Earp wannabe".
    You haven't been around here long enough to know a lot of us, including...especially me...get battered because of what we carry or wear. Lots of experts here, especially up north. Hell, I even get PM's and smart A comments from someone that was banned months ago. I thought he was dead.

Such is life. I'm not looking down on the OP....but I sure will have fun watching him protect himself from the Golden BB.

Founder's Club Member
    If the OP chooses to wear a bullet-resistant vest and wears it underneath his clothing such that he doesn't appear different than just a Regular Joe on the street I don't see the issue. Yes if worn on the outside it would certainly look a bit goofy, but they get worn under outer clothes by folks every day, so unless he happened to have an issue where someone would detect what he's wearing I don't foresee any issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast