• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC-ing with a bullet proof vest on

Status
Not open for further replies.

twoskinsonemanns

I have to mention my disagreement with this. Now, I've never openly carried while wearing a bullet-proof vest and likely never will, but there is nothing wrong with it. I choose to carry a weapon to protect myself, promoting the second amendment or OC is only a secondary effect. I also do not have a duty to act or look a certain special way because I carry a firearm. I frankly don't care about how I'm perceived by others; don't give me that "they can vote too" crap, I'm not going to change my life to the irrational whims of others. And "shame on you if you do", is that supposed to be serious?
+1

Sorry I've edited the post you quoted to show it was sarcasm.
They say the more subtle the sarcasm the more effective it is, but text based sarcasm is an art I haven't mastered.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did you get an approved list of clothing you could wear without being thought "extreme".
Is it anything military looking or just actual old military issued garments? What about colors? Did you get the specific shades you were allowed to wear?
Ok that sounds more belligerent than I mean it but it seems hypocritical to look down at a fellow who feels more comfortable in a vest, or wearing camo when you KNOW damn well there is someone out there look at YOU the same way every time you walk around town "packing heat like some Wyatt Earp wannabe".

You haven't been around here long enough to know a lot of us, including...especially me...get battered because of what we carry or wear. Lots of experts here, especially up north:lol:. Hell, I even get PM's and smart A comments from someone that was banned months ago. I thought he was dead.

Such is life. I'm not looking down on the OP....but I sure will have fun watching him protect himself from the Golden BB.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If the OP chooses to wear a bullet-resistant vest and wears it underneath his clothing such that he doesn't appear different than just a Regular Joe on the street I don't see the issue. Yes if worn on the outside it would certainly look a bit goofy, but they get worn under outer clothes by folks every day, so unless he happened to have an issue where someone would detect what he's wearing I don't foresee any issue.

WhatTimeIsIt?

+1

Sorry I've edited the post you quoted to show it was sarcasm.
They say the more subtle the sarcasm the more effective it is, but text based sarcasm is an art I haven't mastered.

Thanks, while I had a suspicion you may be kidding, particularly with that last bit, I just couldn't risk that you were serious and not voice my disagreement.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Why not OCing? just like a cop, some nut could shoot you. Just don't wear it in the open you look like a gi joe and cops might come.

I saw someone once, maybe twice walking around a Richmond gun show wearing body armor....outside his t-shirt. He probably also had a tactical zip tie cutter so he could quickly load his gun in case of a shootout in the beef jerky aisle.

To this day, I still laugh about that.

twoskinsonemanns

You haven't been around here long enough to know a lot of us, including...especially me...get battered because of what we carry or wear

No one should get battered...especially you... for what they carry or wear. But if you have to put up with that stuff why in the world would you turn and do it to someone else.

Such is life. I'm not looking down on the OP....

It sure looked like it to me....

But...But...Jim....it would go so well with my Kevlar helmet, BDU's, KaBar Combat knife, gas mask and leg holster.:banana:It's a Jungle out there.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
No one should get battered...especially you... for what they carry or wear. But if you have to put up with that stuff why in the world would you turn and do it to someone else.

It sure looked like it to me....

That's not battering. That's making fun of....I haven't battered anyone for a while now.
He's going to look silly and there are very few vests that don't print...but that's his business.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Normalizing normal open carry as we go about our everyday business and bullet resistant vests fits this standard?
Ya - right. (hint I'm being sarcastic)

Maybe they would provide a bit of insulation in the winter however. :lol:

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Normalizing normal open carry as we go about our everyday business and bullet resistant vests fits this standard?
Ya - right. (hint I'm being sarcastic)

Maybe they would provide a bit of insulation in the winter however. :lol:

I am all for normalizing OCing. +++ No doubt. But who exactly decides what fits the standard?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am all for normalizing OCing. +++ No doubt. But who exactly decides what fits the standard?

Depends on whose property you stand, does it not?

Perception is an individual/singular as well as a collective component and presentation is an inherent part. Here on OCDO the site owners opinions, goals and methodology set the standard - they are strongly based even w/o their proprietary interest.

twoskinsonemanns

Depends on whose property you stand, does it not?

Perception is an individual/singular as well as a collective component and presentation is an inherent part. Here on OCDO the site owners opinions, goals and methodology set the standard - they are strongly based even w/o their proprietary interest.

I completely agree if it's your site you set the rules. Perhaps clarification would be best for everyone. Perhaps a detailed standard defined by the site owners could be posted and stickied to let everyone know exactly how they should look, act, and dress to be acceptable to open carry. I know for myself I'm not entirely clear on it so it would benefit me to know.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm not sure why you're arguing about it twoskins. OC isn't an invitation only society where you get booted if you break the rules.

The question was legality. It is legal! Now as to the standard, we each decide it and generally gravitate to people with like standards.
There isn't a rule book!

There are things that can harm all gun owners and their life will get complicated fast for that. I seriously doubt wearing body armor could be considered harmful by even the pickiest person...but it will be good for entertainment.:lol:

So to answer who decides the standard...normal is normal for the locality. If it's acceptable in the area to wear a Bra on his head, suits me. That particular area is better known for people arguing with invisible friends than gang activity, so normal is pretty much open for anything. He may even get free coffee at 7-11.:eek:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Neh. Everybody wants a rule and be told how to think and act. Responsibility begins at home.

If I seem a little testy in the predawn hours, I beg your forbearance for a moment. We are not talking about tattoos, hair styles or cut-off jeans - we are looking to garner positive feed back from the community at large. W/o them we lose, notwithstanding that we think we are right, righteous and the path to redemption.

twoskinsonemanns

Dang. ok this post is way too long. Please forgive it.

I'm not sure why you're arguing about it twoskins. OC isn't an invitation only society where you get booted if you break the rules.

The question was legality.

I agree the OP was is it legal. And is was answered. (NOT ILLEGAL) but then there was the following:

Partially and mostly so. It is not about the legal right to do so. ymmv

Now it was no longer just legality.

OCing while wearing a BP-vest?

Please don't

Now respected members are asking that is NOT be done with out providing any reason.
Of course this is fine for anyone to do but I wanted to show WHY I was arguing since you voiced that you weren't sure.

But...But...Jim....it would go so well with my Kevlar helmet, BDU's, KaBar Combat knife, gas mask and leg holster.:banana:

It's a Jungle out there.:lol:

Now respected members are making fun of the OP if he does what he proposed. Again fine, nothing wrong at all just showing you the reason why I was arguing.

Neh. Everybody wants a rule and be told how to think and act.

It's not true that everyone was a rule... I just wanted clarifiation. You said:
"Normalizing normal open carry as we go about our everyday business and bullet resistant vests fits this standard? Ya - right. (hint I'm being sarcastic)"

Then when I questioned the standard you said:
"Here on OCDO the site owners opinions, goals and methodology set the standard "

So I thought if the site owners have a standard that doesn't include BP vest, maybe a detailed standard could be defined.

If I seem a little testy in the predawn hours, I beg your forbearance for a moment. We are not talking about tattoos, hair styles or cut-off jeans - we are looking to garner positive feed back from the community at large. W/o them we lose, notwithstanding that we think we are right, righteous and the path to redemption.

Not at all. I CERTAINLY want to garner positive feedback from the community. But I can tell you this, in the area I live, although it is completely legal, it is NOT NORMAL for someone to OC. I do it to keep me an mine safe and because it is right. But I feel completely, utterly alone. So when I OC I CERTAINLY don't fit the standard. So I sure as heck won't ask someone that wants to wear a completely legal BP vest to fit MY standard.

Docgmt

It's my Right

Not much of a RIGHT when worrying about what everyone else thinks about how you carry/are dressed all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.