• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Whatcom County Family OC Picnic Bastille Day 14 JULY 2012

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We folks up north here are going to have a Family Style OC Picnic at Bloedel Donovan Park. We have been discussing it on the regular Sunday morning meets and decided upon a heads up for all who wish to attend. Everyone in the OC Community is invited to attend.
As you may know, Bloedel Donovan Park was the site of two separate OC confrontations with the Bellingham Police Department. A Picnic was held at the park after the first incident. We then thought the problem was fixed. A second incident occurred with SVG and the bellingham police at another location. After litigation, we thought it was fixed. A third incident occured december last in which several LACs were put in harms way again. That incident is still pending. So we are going to call this the
2nd ANNUAL(or so)
WASHINGTON OPEN CARRY
FAMILY BARBEQUE AND PICNIC

AT
BLOEDEL DONOVAN PARK
2220 ELECTRIC AVENUE, BELLINGHAM, WA
We have an area in the park reconned with two built in grills and two or three picnic tables. A 12x12 popup with the OC banner will be set up between them with additional, small tables. Bring your "go to the park stuff" if you need it.
Several things have been discussed.

1. FOOD. see list below
2. Entertainment.
A few kayaks will be available for family use. Adult supervision with children
fishing is VERY popular at BD Park
balloons for little kids.
being with family and friends
swimming if you think the water warm enough
3. We will be giving handgun safety classes at regular intervals for anyone in the park that chooses to watch.(additional volunteer instructors needed)
4. Display of weapon locks to use in the home. Information on how to safely store weapons in the home.
5. Safety features of revolver and semi auto (use large drawings)
6. Brochures and information about Washington Open Carry.
7. Awards and prizes

And whatever we can think up to have fun and support the OC Community.

FOOD...FOOD.....FOOD

This is a family picnic folks, so bring a little something. Something you cooked yourself. Something fun.

hamburgers 100 pattys-MSG L
h burg buns 100 buns MSG L

hot dogs
h dog buns

other meats

BEVERAGES-----No Alcohol in the Park

soda(large bottles,2,3 ltr) 10 2l MSG L

ICE (and chests to put them in)
Paper plates
paper cups
trash bags (large and small)

sudden valley gunner

Nice! Look forward to this event. I'll see if I can get the other half to prepare some sushi..... Can help with anything else....paper plates , soda.

How about a press release to KGMI, KISM, Bellingham Herald, and local gun shops?

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Rob, let me know what you are bringing and I will keep updating the first post.
KGMI sounds like a good idea. I have started a flyer to pass around.
Will you be able to make it on thursday??

Boomboy007

Yummy! I can't wait!

This idea sounds delicious, er, I mean...... great! I will definitely be happy to help where needed, and will get with the Sarge to figure out what he needs rations wise. I was wondering if we should extend a very polite invitation to that guy, what's his name?

sudden valley gunner

Rob, let me know what you are bringing and I will keep updating the first post.
KGMI sounds like a good idea. I have started a flyer to pass around.
Will you be able to make it on thursday??

Not sure if I can make it Thursday yet I am going to try. Been getting run ragged this week, I'll have to sit down with the woman and see what she has in mind for food and supplies.

This idea sounds delicious, er, I mean...... great! I will definitely be happy to help where needed, and will get with the Sarge to figure out what he needs rations wise. I was wondering if we should extend a very polite invitation to that guy, what's his name?

You mean rights violator, Brady cop, Officer Allen Bass? Why not invite all LEO's they read these threads anyway. :D

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
The OC banner has been shipped and should be here soon. What do you think about informing BPD that we will be using "blue guns" to teach safety classes?? I would not want some nervous nellie seeing us and popping a cap on an instructor.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I spoke with the guy that supervises Bloedel Donovan today. He suggested I reserve the area we want to use for the picnic. Sounded like a good idea, and I will handle that aspect. Wayne, the Supervisor, is very supportive of us and the community. This event is, after all, a form of community service. Maybe we can involve the BPD in a positive manner and ask them to participate with the "gun padlock" service they run. Maybe send a local neighborhood LEO, one that works in the area. Kind of like "community based policing", get to know the folks kind of thing.

Greg30-06

I am trying to convince the wife to attend with me. It might be kinda difficult though because our employer is having a picnic the same day:mad: and all of the ladies will probably be upset with us if we dont bring our daughter. I would much rather go to the OC picnic but if the wife aint happy aint nobody happy right? How many people do you think would be attending??? Just wondering because as a new member I don't have any idea how popular these events are. Hopefully I will see you all there
Greg

ARADCOM

Family barbeque and picnic-MSG Laigaie

MSG Laigaie

We folks up north here are going to have a Family Style OC Picnic at Bloedel Donovan Park. We have been discussing it on the regular Sunday morning meets and decided upon a heads up for all who wish to attend. Everyone in the OC Community is invited to attend.
As you may know, Bloedel Donovan Park was the site of two separate OC confrontations with the Bellingham Police Department. A Picnic was held at the park after the first incident. We then thought the problem was fixed. A second incident occurred with SVG and the bellingham police at another location. After litigation, we thought it was fixed. A third incident occured december last in which several LACs were put in harms way again. That incident is still pending. So we are going to call this the
2nd ANNUAL(or so)
WASHINGTON OPEN CARRY
FAMILY BARBEQUE AND PICNIC

AT
BLOEDEL DONOVAN PARK
2220 ELECTRIC AVENUE, BELLINGHAM, WA
We have an area in the park reconned with two built in grills and two or three picnic tables. A 12x12 popup with the OC banner will be set up between them with additional, small tables. Bring your "go to the park stuff" if you need it.
Several things have been discussed.

1. FOOD. see list below
2. Entertainment.
A few kayaks will be available for family use. Adult supervision with children
fishing is VERY popular at BD Park
balloons for little kids.
being with family and friends
swimming if you think the water warm enough
3. We will be giving handgun safety classes at regular intervals for anyone in the park that chooses to watch.(additional volunteer instructors needed)
4. Display of weapon locks to use in the home. Information on how to safely store weapons in the home.
5. Safety features of revolver and semi auto (use large drawings)
6. Brochures and information about Washington Open Carry.
7. Awards and prizes

And whatever we can think up to have fun and support the OC Community.

FOOD...FOOD.....FOOD

This is a family picnic folks, so bring a little something. Something you cooked yourself. Something fun.

hamburgers 100 pattys-MSG L
h burg buns 100 buns MSG L

hot dogs
h dog buns

other meats

BEVERAGES-----No Alcohol in the Park

soda(large bottles,2,3 ltr) 10 2l MSG L

ICE (and chests to put them in)
Paper plates
paper cups
trash bags (large and small)

*Bump*

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Update .....update....update.....

I rec'd a call from Parks & Recreation. We are a go at this Station. They have no worries about us being there on the 14 of July. Planned event is still ten untill it is over. Bring a pot luck, bring a chair. bring a friend.

Blueslant

My lack of complete understanding of Washington State geography wins again. I just realized Bellingham is not just outside of Seattle and will be a little out of my driving distance for a day trip. Hopefully I can catch up with folks when it is a little closer.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Saturday the 23rd will be three weeks out from the picnic. Start making your plans (if you have not already) to attend this event. Let us know how many will be there. Come on up to Bellingham, it's safe now.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
15 days......15 days

Only two weeks for the Second Annual (more or less) Whatcom County OC Picnic. Bring your family, bring a friend, bring a neighbor. Kayaks will be available, Fishing is authorized (license applies) and no license is required for those 14 and younger. Swimming(if you can deal with icewater), food and good conversation with like minded people.

noname762

Just for giggles I could bring some MREs.....Hey I'm serious!!! These are pretty new too, I've only had them a couple years!!! I could bring the crummy Vegan flavors...I don't like them anywho!! Hey I didn't climb to the top of The Food Chain to eat Soylent Green rations!!

Since it's been a couple years since I've been to an OC Event.....I'll just hold up the wall over there.....

Where in the Heck is Electric Avenue??? Is this park in Bellingham proper or Ferndale??? I need some coordinates...

HUA!!
noname762

ARADCOM

OC Picnic

Just for giggles I could bring some MREs.....Hey I'm serious!!! These are pretty new too, I've only had them a couple years!!! I could bring the crummy Vegan flavors...I don't like them anywho!! Hey I didn't climb to the top of The Food Chain to eat Soylent Green rations!!

Since it's been a couple years since I've been to an OC Event.....I'll just hold up the wall over there.....

Where in the Heck is Electric Avenue??? Is this park in Bellingham proper or Ferndale??? I need some coordinates...

HUA!!
noname762

The park is in Bellingham on the west end of Lake Whatcom. This should tell you everything you need to knoiw.

http://www.cob.org/services/recreation/parks-trails/bloedel-donovan-park.aspx

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Attention.....attention...

One week to go...... if you have not made plans to be here.....do it now. Hot dogs, hamburgs, potato salad, people wearing weapons. Come on down, or over, or up!!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Update .....update....update.....

IT IS THIS WEEKEND... COME ON UP, DOWN, OVER, OR WHATEVER.

OK folks just a few days. I will be setting up the BBQs (charcoal prep) and the Popup tent sat morn early. I have a couple of tables to use and I will set them up also. I will have a small medical kit at the popup

Remember this is a family event..no alcohol in the Park.... Dogs on a leash....