• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sign at sparks marina?

The Big Guy

Wouldn't state preemption void the firearms part of this sign... or am I missing something?
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x472/decipherlogic/IMG_20120516_154405.jpg

It is my understanding that the City Attorney of Sparks agreed a long time ago that the state pre-empted local ordinances. You might get in contact with the Admistrator/Director of your local Parks and Rec dept and let them know that the signs are in violation of state law and that they may want to contact the City Attorney about changing them. You might let him/her know that down in this end of the state the City of Henderson simply taped over all the wording not in conformance to state law regarding firearms and suggest that they do something similar.

TBG

john-in-reno

Both the Park Director and the Sparks police know the in Sept of 2010 the Sparks City counsel signed the bill nullfying that city ord. and in may of 2010 me and 5 of sparks finest and the park ranger had a talk while in the park on this very matter!!

Well they left educated and I continued to roam the park a free and armed OC citizen

Here are a couple of links for ya
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?79638-E-Mail-to-Spark-City-Attorneys-office
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?88874-Sparks-Marina-Encounter

And here is the bill repealing the city ord, so you are safe
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13231271/Ord 2445.pdf

Also Tracy Domingues (Sparks park director) said over the phone that she is aware the ord changed and she has let her people know about the change, and I have also been in the park several times with no incident

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Also Tracy Domingues (Sparks park director) said over the phone that she is aware the ord changed and she has let her people know about the change, and I have also been in the park several times with no incident

I have a problem with administrators that "know about" the change and don't change the signage. Not only does it show a disrespect for the law, but others who see the sign and then see us think that we are law-breakers. I have a problem with that.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I have a problem with administrators that "know about" the change and don't change the signage. Not only does it show a disrespect for the law, but others who see the sign and then see us think that we are law-breakers. I have a problem with that.

I agree. Here in Henderson the Parks Dept moved quickly to change the signs, but the powers that be neglected to change the park ordinance. I had to remind them. In addition, it took forever and much prodding to get the signs changed on city buildings. My thought, and only my thought, was that they were just going leave them and just not enforce them. The thinking would be that it would deter the unwashed into thinking it was still a no-no. Like childen', ya've gotta keep on dem guvment workers.

TBG

Mike In Reno

sunday night I went for a late night walk around the marina with a friend, I was going to ask about this, but Its okay to OC now. so thats good.

G23inNN

I've been lurking for a while and even though I have a copy of the City of Sparks Ordinance #2445 that clearly repeals the law, I wanted to clear up my suspicions, misunderstandings or any uncertainties I might have had regarding the possession of firearms in City parks; so I got into contact with the Chief of Police (Sparks) last week and he confirmed today (after reviewing) that it was perfectly fine to open carry and that they would in fact remove all signs in the near future. He thanked me for bringing this to his attention.

I wouldn't call this a victory because it isn't a war between "us and them" but more-so a clarification of the law for both parties, I hope that by bringing this to his attention he passes the information on to his officers so as to really solidify the prevention of any ill-incident.

[I know the head official of the "parks and recreation" department said they were going to remove the signs some time ago, but hopefully now that someone with more prestige and importance is on-board it'll get the ball rolling faster].

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I've been lurking for a while and even though I have a copy of the City of Sparks Ordinance #2445 that clearly repeals the law, I wanted to clear up my suspicions, misunderstandings or any uncertainties I might have had regarding the possession of firearms in City parks; so I got into contact with the Chief of Police (Sparks) last week and he confirmed today (after reviewing) that it was perfectly fine to open carry and that they would in fact remove all signs in the near future. He thanked me for bringing this to his attention.

I wouldn't call this a victory because it isn't a war between "us and them" but more-so a clarification of the law for both parties, I hope that by bringing this to his attention he passes the information on to his officers so as to really solidify the prevention of any ill-incident.

[I know the head official of the "parks and recreation" department said they were going to remove the signs some time ago, but hopefully now that someone with more prestige and importance is on-board it'll get the ball rolling faster].

Welcome to the forum.

TBG

jfrey123

I'm inclined to call this one sign left up an error. There used to be more signs posted around the walkway, but the last few times I ran there I only noticed the one on the far side (somewhat near Scheels).

ed2276

It costs money to change a sign.

It would be interested to see the reaction if someone paints out the offending passage.

Ha! They could ask for volunteers to take care of the deletion. I'm sure there would be plenty of OCers up there who would be glad to delete it for free as a public service.