• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What condition (1,2,or 3) for OC?

zach

Just be careful , many negligent discharges occur when reholstering the firearm (believe it or not) .. the trigger hangs on clothes, etc and the shooter gets a bad case of Glock Leg Syndrome.

Do a LOT of dry drills, work on presenting and reholstering until you get comfortable.. =)

--Rob

Reminds me of 'ol Tex showing us his quick draw skills!

I like practicing at home with a snapcap in the chamber.

Gunslinger

Browning designed the 1911 and the Hi-Power to be carried in Cond 1. That is how I always carry them. If you have concerns about carrying this way, then it is the wrong pistol for you. Get an XD/m, M&P or Glock.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I think there's some confusion over the various conditions...

"Cooper favored the Colt M1911 and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:
Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off." - Source: Jeff Cooper - The Modern Technique

Although I could, I would NEVER carry in Condition Zero. With the seriously reduced trigger pull, it significantly increases the likelihood of an unintentional discharge while drawing it from my holster.

I could carry it in Condition One, but that requires an extra step! I can't just draw and fire. I have to draw, thumb off the safety, then fire.

I carry in Condition Two, as I can simply draw and fire. A full trigger pull is required, and because of the firing pin interlock, the firearm won't fire unless the trigger is pulled nearly the full extent of its travel. It's both quite safe and the most readily accessible in Condition Two.

I would only carry in Condition Three if I were travelling as an Air Marshal and thereby required to do so while aboard the aircraft. Since I'm not an Air Marshal...

Condition Four is for people who live in a state controlled by non-gunners, like California. They used to allow OC, but the tails tucked between their legs grew even whiter, and one can't open carry a proper self-defense firearm over there any more.

mobiushky

"Cooper favored the Colt M1911 and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off." - Source: Jeff Cooper - The Modern Technique

Although I could, I would NEVER carry in Condition Zero. With the seriously reduced trigger pull, it significantly increases the likelihood of an unintentional discharge while drawing it from my holster.

I could carry it in Condition One, but that requires an extra step! I can't just draw and fire. I have to draw, thumb off the safety, then fire.

I carry in Condition Two, as I can simply draw and fire. A full trigger pull is required, and because of the firing pin interlock, the firearm won't fire unless the trigger is pulled nearly the full extent of its travel. It's both quite safe and the most readily accessible in Condition Two.

I would only carry in Condition Three if I were travelling as an Air Marshal and thereby required to do so while aboard the aircraft. Since I'm not an Air Marshal...

Condition Four is for people who live in a state controlled by non-gunners, like California. They used to allow OC, but the tails tucked between their legs grew even whiter, and one can't open carry a proper self-defense firearm over there any more.
It's difficult to classify the Glock into one of those because of the unique trigger action. It's sort of most like condition 2, because it does require a full trigger pull to complete the action. But it's basically half cocked at that point. So I would think that it would most resemble condition 2. It's certainly not condition 1 because of the no safety. And it's not exactly condition 0 because the trigger isn't fully cocked and you have to complete that step as you pull the trigger.

Anyway, I'm not gonna be able to take my CCW class this weekend due to scheduling so I plan to take it next weekend. I think after that class I'm gonna be a lot more comfortable with any condition.

Gunslinger

Remember I was talking about Browning designed SA autos, not DA/SA or striker fired. When I draw, my right thumb sweeps the safety down as my weak hand comes up. The strong hand thumb then goes over the weak for my firing hold.

JamesB

It's difficult to classify the Glock into one of those because of the unique trigger action. It's sort of most like condition 2, because it does require a full trigger pull to complete the action. But it's basically half cocked at that point. So I would think that it would most resemble condition 2. It's certainly not condition 1 because of the no safety. And it's not exactly condition 0 because the trigger isn't fully cocked and you have to complete that step as you pull the trigger.

Anyway, I'm not gonna be able to take my CCW class this weekend due to scheduling so I plan to take it next weekend. I think after that class I'm gonna be a lot more comfortable with any condition.

Is my Glock condition 0 because ther is no safety to engage?
Is it condition 1 because all three internal safeties are constantly engaged?
Is it condition 2 because the hammer is not back?
Is it condition 3 ...nevermind
It is condition 4 when stored away and I am carrying the Barretta.

mobiushky

Is my Glock condition 0 because ther is no safety to engage?
Is it condition 1 because all three internal safeties are constantly engaged?
Is it condition 2 because the hammer is not back?
Is it condition 3 ...nevermind
It is condition 4 when stored away and I am carrying the Barretta.

So my glock is in all 5 conditions at the same time? Lol. Just kidding.

porterhouse83

A thumb safety is a non issue if you practice daily. I can unholster my weapon and have it on target with safety off before you can blink. I am no expert, not even close but I now unholster my weapon and the safety is off without me even thinking about it.

jhco50

Well, I carry a revolver, fully loaded with the hammer down so I guess I carry condition two. I like revolvers because there is no thinking involved. In other words, I don't have to worry about a safety, racking a slide, or whatever. If I have a need to draw, I draw and pull the trigger. Simple, fast, fool proof.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I could carry it in Condition One, but that requires an extra step! I can't just draw and fire. I have to draw, thumb off the safety, then fire...

Thumbing down the safety takes place during the rotation of the draw stroke. There is ZERO extra time engaging the target. You need some qualified instruction and practice with the platform.