• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 USC vs another

self preservation

Can anyone tell me the difference in
42 USC 1983 vs 18 USC 242
and
42 USC 1985 vs 18 USC 241

I see the 42's mentioned all the time but I have never seen the 18's mentioned. They sound the same to me but I'm sure they are different and would be used in different situations.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Title 42 of the United States Code deals with social issues. Title 18 is Federal Criminal and Penal code of the US.

hotrod

Learn somthing new everyday. So 42 apllies to us more than 18? Can you give an example of an 18 situation vs a 42 situation?

Title 18USC242 is how the officers that beat Rodney King were charged with a crime. 42USC1983 is the title Rodney King sued the police for the violation of his civil rights.

self preservation

Title 18USC242 is how the officers that beat Rodney King were charged with a crime. 42USC1983 is the title Rodney King sued the police for the violation of his civil rights.

So 18 is criminal and 42 is civil? is that right? We never discuss the 18's....only the 42's. But would an 18 apply to, lets say a LEO for the illegal seizure of a firearm?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

What are the elements of the crime, all must be met? If you write it properly any search engine worth a shot will give a proper link URL.

18 usc 242

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
A Title 42 case is the method citizens use to civilly sue a state or federal actor who violated the citizen's rights.

A Title 18 case is the method the federal government use to criminally prosecute a state or federal actor who violated a citizen;s rights.

self preservation

A Title 42 case is the method citizens use to civilly sue a state or federal actor who violated the citizen's rights.

A Title 18 case is the method the federal government use to criminally prosecute a state or federal actor who violated a citizen;s rights.

Interesting..... So we peons can't file an 18? That must be done from a higher authority? At the end of the day it may not amount to a huge pile of sh!t if I know this stuff or not, but does it really hurt to know more? Imagine how many injustices would have been dealt with if people only knew that the law allowed them options...

H

Herr Heckler Koch

A citizen cannot directly bring criminal charges, that's a privilege left to the sovereign-state. A citizen may swear out a complaint much as a cop only recommends charges to the state prosecutor.

self preservation

A citizen cannot directly bring criminal charges, that's a privilege left to the sovereign-state. A citizen may swear out a complaint much as a cop only recommends charges to the state prosecutor.

Understood... You dont hear much about people bringing 1983 and alike suits against "the powers to be" very often. Either there are not a lot of deprivation of rights (I bet they happen right here in KY everyday) that happen, people straight up dont know that they have been deprived or the cost of these suits keep people from enjoying these laws benefits. I have heard that 42 suits cost 10's of thousands of dollars. Do you think that's what keep people from bring these types of suits against a wrongdoer?

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I have heard that 42 suits cost 10's of thousands of dollars. Do you think that's what keep people from bring these types of suits against a wrongdoer?
10's of thousands of dollar$? No. It is due to the same ignorance as surrounds FOIA demands. The law is an ass that lawyers ride to work.

My state's FOIA accepts a plain language phone call. A verified complaint to the district attorney works wonders.