• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at walmart

logan_zugg

Well im new to the open carry law. I have been doing it for about 2 weeks now. Im from Texas and have always CC cause they have dont have OC but came to Virginia Beach with the Navy. So i though i would OC and CC at the same time just to try OC out. Well it has been really nice and i am starting to become a big fan of it! Just though it was cool when i ran in to someone else who was OC at Walmart. around 6PM today been here for a few weeks and was the first person i have seen OC. Just though i would share my story. Haha Need to see more people doing it!! I love getting the looks makes me laugh!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
WELCOME to OCDO, logan_zugg!

I, too, came to Virginia from Texas (retired at Lackland AFB, then moved here). It's incredibly liberating not to have to worry about what clothes you can wear because this prints or that doesn't offer freedom of movement or whatever. And I've found very few places, even here in the liberal enclaves of Northern Virginia, where OC is not *generally* accepted.

Many on hear speak of the WalMart walk as their first OC experience.

Thank you for your service.

logan_zugg

Ya for sure Walmart is a great place to start! The only thing i would like to see is CC on base!!! But that is just a dream :p maybe one day!

logan_zugg

Yes it is so nice not worrying about the kinda of cloths i were. I am starting to like it better CC haha But i keep one in my boot and on OC So i guess im going to do both for Know on. lol

Steeler-gal

Walmart is one of my favorite places to OC and for buying ammo.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me up if you need an class, RSO or safety briefing

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!!

The Walmart Walk is a classic way to start OCing. Glad to hear that you did not have any issues, that's the way it should be.

Since you're going to be in VA for awhile you may want to check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League. It is a great group dedicated to gun rights in VA. If you go to their website you can sign up for VA-ALERT (on the right side of the page) which is a free email system that will keep you informed about everything gun-related going on in the state. The website is http://www.vcdl.org

gm2max

welcome to VA logan. I too came to VA because of the Navy, and live in VB. OCing is great, especially useful close to and after midnight on Black Friday at the walmart.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and to Virginia.

A big "Thank You" to thebigsd for mentioning the Walmart Walk http://preview.tinyurl.com/3j6ks74 , since I have unofficially been banned from mentioning it because someone noticed it started as a way for folks to practice CC, not OC. You can tell how old it is because the Nacho Station is long gone.:(

Do check the stickies at the top of the page for get-togethers. There is one tomorrow right down the street from you. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...inner-6-6-2012-7pm-Village-Inn-Virginia-Beach

stay safe.

logan_zugg

hollow points

One more question. I have always used hollow point rounds. But i ran in to someone the outer day and they told me hollow point rounds are not legal in VA anyone know if thats true?

mk4

One more question. I have always used hollow point rounds. But i ran in to someone the outer day and they told me hollow point rounds are not legal in VA anyone know if thats true?

that "someone" is wrong.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Hollow Point Ammo is perfectly legal here. The only place I know that makes hollow points illegal is NJ,

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Oh thats cool. Ya do gatherings for OC? Where on the forum is that?

I gave you the link to the one tomorrow in Va Beach. Please do not make me fire up the curmudgeon stick.

When events are announced they sit at the top of the list of threads as "stickies" until after the event.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Rule 5 applies to real life, as well as to OCDO posts. Someone tells you something is legal/illegal/one color as opposed to another color - ask them to provide a citation (another way of saying "Prove it to me").

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

The fun in situations like that "someone" telling you hollow points are illegal in Va is they wouyld need to cite something in the Code of Virginia of 1959, as amended, and that is just not in there. Laws here in Va twell us what we cannot do - if there is no law about it it means we can do it. That is why, for example, we say OC is the default mode for carrying firearms in Va.

stay safe.

Tanner

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?102853-Share-your-wisdom-with-me!

I am new as well. The people here are worth their weight in gold with knowledge of VA gun law. Except grapeshot he is skinny so he is probably worth twice his weight in gold. The link I provided was a thread I started that is jam packed with good stuff. some of it might be redundant because I see you already have some experience but none the less would be a great place to get up to speed on VA law. If you happen to learn something interesting or important please share. You might find something I missed.

MagiK_SacK

Oh thats cool. Ya do gatherings for OC? Where on the forum is that?

Yes, we get together every so often in Virginia Beach for a dinner while we all OC. Just as we would normally do :D. It is a great time to meet like minded people, and have good informative conversation. A real good chance to learn. The folks up near Richmond have an OC breakfast every two weeks if I'm not mistaken. Just keep an eye out here in the Virginia section of OCDO and a any time one is organized it will be posted in a thread on here. All persons interested are invited, just RSVP on the thread and make sure to show up! Welcome hope to see you tomorrow.

ocholsteroc

Hllow points are legal here, thats what you want in your gun. So if you had to shoot, those rounds don't go through your attacker(s) and harm innocent people.

mobeewan

All handgun and rifle ammo is legal in Virginia. Although there is a law reguarding restricted ammo, as far as I know it is only restricted when used illegally.

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

(1983, c. 602; 1988, c. 530.)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... The folks up near Richmond have an OC breakfast every two weeks if I'm not mistaken. ....

The weekly Saturday morning OC breakfast is held weekly on Saturdays.:p Attendance is limited to those who show up. RSVPs are more to exchange chit-chat than to actually secure a place at the table.

It took one person finding out that another person ate breakfast at a certain place fairly regularly for the two of them to start having breakfast together. Then someone found out that the two of them were meeting for breakfast, and now all of some of the kids want to have breakfast too. In other words, the adage "If you announce it they will come" works better than trying to get everybody to agree to do it before you decide when and where to do it.

stay safe.