• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry at walmart

007boarder

All handgun and rifle ammo is legal in Virginia. Although there is a law reguarding restricted ammo, as far as I know it is only restricted when used illegally.

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

A. When used in this section:

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

(1983, c. 602; 1988, c. 530.)

I am not truly familiar with the actual construction of bullets however this did confuse me a bit as the carry ammo I use is labeled as a 28 grain Copper Trident PFP. 99% copper NOT related to beryllium copper. Now should I assume this is just the actual projectile. I have not seen a statute that denies said ammo, just curious for more information. Thanks!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hllow points are legal here, thats what you want in your gun. So if you had to shoot, those rounds don't go through your attacker(s) and harm innocent people.

Who put that fool notion in your head.
Innocent people better not stand behind someone I'm shooting at!:p

200px-Keith-Style-45-SWC.JPG

TFred

All handgun and rifle ammo is legal in Virginia. Although there is a law reguarding restricted ammo, as far as I know it is only restricted when used illegally.

§ 18.2-308.3. Use or attempted use of restricted ammunition in commission or attempted commission of crimes prohibited; penalty.

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly use or attempt to use restricted firearm ammunition while committing or attempting to commit a crime. Violation of this section shall constitute a separate and distinct felony and any person found guilty thereof shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony.

Of all the gun control laws in existence, why does this one law buck the trend and apply only when the person is using the ammo to commit or attempt to commit a crime? This is the framework that all gun laws should use.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Of all the gun control laws in existence, why does this one law buck the trend and apply only when the person is using the ammo to commit or attempt to commit a crime? This is the framework that all gun laws should use.

TFred

I don't want to get into baby steps today but this is the way we fixed the "No ammunition designed to pierce body armor" law.

BillB

Restricted Ammo...

Let's take a look at how this law could put someone in a real bind. For an example, I'll use a real one from this board:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-of-my-husband%92s-Glock-19-Your-help-needed

Now, let's say that the Glock 19 was loaded with DPX all copper bullet ammo ( www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgun/200/200/dept ).
This ammo meets the definition of restricted ammo in § 18.2-308.3. So, now we have person who has an AD, is charged with Reckless Handling of a Firearm - a misdemeanor crime. But, because of the DPX ammo, the person also picks up a class 5 felony. Wow!

Should we be concerned about the ammo we carry?

007boarder

Let's take a look at how this law could put someone in a real bind. For an example, I'll use a real one from this board:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...e-of-my-husband%92s-Glock-19-Your-help-needed

Now, let's say that the Glock 19 was loaded with DPX all copper bullet ammo ( www.shopcorbon.com/DPX-Handgun/200/200/dept ).
This ammo meets the definition of restricted ammo in § 18.2-308.3. So, now we have person who has an AD, is charged with Reckless Handling of a Firearm - a misdemeanor crime. But, because of the DPX ammo, the person also picks up a class 5 felony. Wow!

My thought exactly. I carry an "advertised" 99% copper only bullet. But I have never asked WHAT exactly is copper. I only assumed it was the projectile itself. So I wonder if anyone has clarification. The makers of it are extremely versed in the laws. They have had law suits against them where they have had to adjust their compound to create the ammo we purchase from them to ensure legalities. And they only sell certain ammo to non LEO. Elite Ammunition. Obviously my intent is never to engage in unlawful activity, but as you mentioned a complete accident that occurred above could immediately escalate things with "improper" ammo!

vt800c

I guess that includes tracer rounds. I also thought they were making more 'green' ammo that had iron instead of lead. or am I sitting too close to NPR on the radio?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Bill,

Why let some dumb ammo law like this bother you, especially in NOVA? You don't worry about P4P hunting laws and write them off as the stupid laws they are. I'll bet we can get CHP holders exempted next year.:p

Foilmoving.gif

Last edited:

BillB

What's the matter Peter - not used to being challenged? Watch out for those Possum Cops!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
BTW Bill...Before Doug Huffman's ghost quotes Wikipedia, Possum is properly spelled and pronounced Opossum, north of Ashland.:uhoh:

BillB

BTW Bill...Before Doug Huffman's ghost quotes Wikipedia, Possum is properly spelled and pronounced Opossum, north of Ashland.:uhoh:

Just trying to keep things provincially oriented for you since I know you don't venture out north of Ashland. Besides, I've never limited myself to knowing just one way to spell words. :D

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just trying to keep things provincially oriented for you since I know you don't venture out north of Ashland. Besides, I've never limited myself to knowing just one way to spell words. :D

That's fine Bill, I knew eventually the Wikipedia Whizzer of Wisconson (WWW) would correct you and I didn't want anyone to think you don't talk good or wuz iggernant in Opossum culture.

I was fortunate enough to learn about Opossums from Randy (Possum) Glick who lived in a little hollow at the base of Reddish Knob.
The only two families that lived in Briery Branch were the Glick's and the Auville's and had been so for a hundred years or so.

No one really knew where they came from but they think they were the first Carpetbaggers from up north and just got lost in the hills.

Many there had the Possum look:eek: and were considered experts. Last I heard of Randy was when he graduated from the 4th grade and married his sister. I assume all is well at the Branch!

BillB

I was fortunate enough to learn about Opossums from Randy (Possum) Glick who lived in a little hollow at the base of Reddish Knob.
The only two families that lived in Briery Branch were the Glick's and the Auville's and had been so for a hundred years or so.

Possum Amatures. I'm originally from GA where they really do know possums, or opossums if you insist on being erudite.

27855445UKZbrQzNKI_ph.jpg

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Possum Amatures. I'm originally from GA where they really do know possums, or opossums if you insist on being erudite.

View attachment 8585

I'm not sure Georgia has any insight into Possums. I think there are more Armadillo's there.

I think that reveals a secret about you though. It's a known fact that an Armadillo shell helmet can block every kind of Government mind scanner. I've often wondered how you could move between NOVA and Virginia without getting the mind bends.

This would explain it.....

I'll save you the trouble Doug:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bends, or the bends may refer to:

BillB

I'm not sure Georgia has any insight into Possums. I think there are more Armadillo's there.

Don't know why you would think that. What do you base it on?

I think that reveals a secret about you though. It's a known fact that an Armadillo shell helmet can block every kind of Government mind scanner. I've often wondered how you could move between NOVA and Virginia without getting the mind bends.

It must be crack Friday. Or, have you gotten in to some of that "bath salts" stuff I been reading about lately?