• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT kind of

Whitney

I wrote the Seattle City Council with regard to the recent events in the area. Following is what appears to be a canned reply. There are some interesting links in the letter and invitation to attend the Public Safety, Civil Rights, and Technology Committee meeting Wednesday, June 6, 2012, at 2 p.m Some folks may be interested in attending, I have included the agenda items received from the addressee. What happens in Seattle has the potential to affect all of us.

~Whitney
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pasted from E-mail>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for writing about the recent shootings that have plagued Seattle neighborhoods, some of which have taken the lives of beloved residents of our city. Although Seattle has one of the lowest homicide rates among the nation's big cities, ranking 78th among 94 cities, the increase this year is tragic and I am concerned that current strategies used to curb violence are not working.
I invite you to attend the Public Safety, Civil Rights, and Technology Committee meeting at our next meeting on Wednesday, June 6, 2012, at 2 p.m where Councilmembers will be joined by the Seattle Police Department, Seattle Fire Department, and the Law Departments. The full meeting will center on public safety matters, including a recap on major incidents reports, the anti-violence deployment steps the City is taking, as well as answers to questions (please see attached) raised at last week’s Council Briefing. I’ve also included here the agenda for the meeting. If you can’t attend the meeting, you may want to watch here: http://www.seattlechannel.org/viewer_live.asp
Some of you have written in support of stronger gun laws. Others have pointed to our State and Federal Constitutions as reasons that gun laws shouldn’t be changed. Did you know that in 1888 bringing weapons into bars and taverns was prohibited by Washington territorial law and then later, after statehood, the first Legislature re-enacted those controls as well? Yet just earlier this year, the Washington Supreme Court declined to review the Appeals Court ruling on the 2008 Seattle firearms ban on guns in areas of parks, community centers and other facilities where children are likely to be present. Hugh Spitzer, a constitutional-law professor, wrote this editorial considering whether the state courts would uphold stricter gun laws if passed. Here is a quick review of Seattle’s efforts in the State Legislature over the last several years in the area of stricter gun laws:
2009: a. Support a statewide ban on military-style assault weapons, b. Support local governments’ ability to regulate firearms or weapons in public areas to ensure the safety of their communities and local circumstances, c. Support early intervention in juvenile possession of illegal firearms, and believe proactive detention for juvenile offenses can deter potential future convictions under the more severe adult sanctions.

2010 and 2011: a. Support investments in youth violence prevention and intervention, new tools to prevent and reduce gang violence, and domestic violence prevention and services, b. Support local governments’ ability to regulate firearms or weapons in public places to ensure the safety of their communities and local circumstances.
I think the city should lobby for legislation that has a chance of passing. Whether working on the issues discussed above from prior legislative sessions or other ideas like gun buy-back programs, closing the gun show loophole allowing private dealers to sell guns without a background check, increasing penalties for unsecured loaded firearm, or further restricting access to guns by the mentally ill, it will take a broad coalition of supporters and major organization to be successful.
I am additionally concerned that the lack of willingness among some members of the public to assist police is one of the biggest barriers to effective policing and we must continue efforts to break the "code of silence" that prevents some community members from reporting suspected criminals to police. Recently, 400 Seattle teenagers met with 20 Seattle officers; this is the kind of work that must be done to address tense relationships with the community and demonstrate to the public that they can trust law enforcement and that they will be treated with respect. Equally important to restoring trust is that the City come quickly to an agreement with the Department of Justice (DOJ) on the proposed settlement for needed reforms in SPD. Cities that have already been through a DOJ investigation and findings process, provide evidence that restoring police and community collaboration is an outcome that can take several years. We need to begin now.
Finally, some of you have asked how you can be an agent for change in your communities. Here are some options:

1. There is a crime prevention coordinator assigned to North Precinct, East/West Precinct and South/Southwest Precinct. See here to learn more about what your crime prevention coordinator does and how to contact them.
  2. Another good way to get involved to fight crime is to get involved in Block Watch
Thank you again for writing about this difficult issue as well as your advocacy for a safer Seattle If you have additional questions or thoughts, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Councilmember Nick Licata
Chair, Housing, Human Services, Health, and Culture Committee
Seattle City Council
206-684-8803
Keep in touch...

jbone

Post your letter, so we can just how canned it was.

papa bear

it seemed to have an anti's bent. it only talked about how to legislate gun control. nothing about crime prevention.

basically, what does banning firearms have to do with "public safety"?

the points the letter makes has nothing to do with "public safety" and all to do with gun banning

Elimsitna

Got here early, will have a write up later tonight.

The guy at the "customer service bureau" desk kindly gave me directions and asked if I was police/law enforcement. When I said no he said that was fine. Fun fun.