• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Goodbye VA!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
As of today I am now an official resident of the fine state of PA. Me and my family moved to have a slower life with cheaper living all around. We'll see how it goes, but at least I've escaped NOVA. It has been great meeting with many of you at various events over the last several years. I will still be visiting VA once a month so I'll try to come to some events. And I'll still be a VCDL member, I hope to get a similar group going in PA someday.

I have been OCing all over PA with no issues. It seems like a great state for OC and gun rights in general which was one of our deciding factors. If any of you find yourselves in the Lancaster County area feel free to PM me and I'll show you around town while we OC!

TFred

As of today I am now an official resident of the fine state of PA. Me and my family moved to have a slower life with cheaper living all around. We'll see how it goes, but at least I've escaped NOVA. It has been great meeting with many of you at various events over the last several years. I will still be visiting VA once a month so I'll try to come to some events. And I'll still be a VCDL member, I hope to get a similar group going in PA someday.

I have been OCing all over PA with no issues. It seems like a great state for OC and gun rights in general which was one of our deciding factors. If any of you find yourselves in the Lancaster County area feel free to PM me and I'll show you around town while we OC!
Stay away from the cup cheese. Among other things... :)

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Take care SD! If you have to go north, you picked a good place. Beautiful country and good people.
When you come back to visit, I can make fun of your license plates:p

user

Accomplished Advocate
No Way!

Well, first thing you do, identify the best personal defense attorney in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and get in touch with that person!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I thought the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association (PFOA) is/was on track to be a VCDL? No? (Grapeshot, among Virginia members, is probably more up-to-date on them.)

Best of luck to you and your family. I sincerely hope this turns out to be a fantastic move for you. It's been good working with you.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I believe I met you several times at a lunch get together and didn't I sell you a Blackhawk Serpa holster for a Glock a few years ago?

Anyway, sorry to see you leave our commonwealth and go north of all things. Best to you and your family.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
We will miss you.

It seems most of the action/discussion in Pa is done at PFOA. Guess you will have to jump in there.

Watch out for the Amish - shoofly pie ought to be declared a deadly weapon!

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
OC or not, get yourself a PA LTCF if you haven't already, so you can carry while in a vehicle. Otherwise, you'll have to walk to any place you want to OC.

(For those not familiar, you need a PA License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF) in order to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle, open or concealed.)

Yes, I plan on doing that as soon as I get my driver's license switched over. Until then, if any cop pulls me over I am a VA resident with VA plates and a VA permit which is valid in PA. :)

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
We will miss you.

It seems most of the action/discussion in Pa is done at PFOA. Guess you will have to jump in there.

Watch out for the Amish - shoofly pie ought to be declared a deadly weapon!

stay safe.

Haha, I think I've already gained ten pounds eating this Pennsylvania Dutch food...

And I plan to sign-up on the PFOA forum although I'll probably spend most of my time here...

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
User, I plan on doing that very soon. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Tess, my understanding of PAFOA is that they are primarily an internet resource without much hands-on grassroots activity. Is that inaccurate? If so, and they are on track with VCDL, then that makes me pretty happy.

Southernboy, we have met a couple of times but I never bought a holster. I don't own a Glock and I never will :D

Last edited:

Riana

I guess this means I have to find a different ride to Lobby Day, hm?

Seriously, though, I hope the move is good for you and yours. Keep in touch!

Marco

OC or not, get yourself a PA LTCF if you haven't already, so you can carry while in a vehicle. Otherwise, you'll have to walk to any place you want to OC.

(For those not familiar, you need a PA License To Carry a Firearm (LTCF) in order to have a loaded firearm in a vehicle, open or concealed.)

The first part isn't quite accurate. Neither is the second part... as an out of state CHP/CCW that is honored in PA will also allow loaded vehicle carry.
There is always the option to carry unloaded while driving.
It's not that hard to dump a speedloader into the cylinder or insert a mag and drop the slide as you exit the vehicle... while not ideal.. it is an option...
Yes, we all know the more you have to needlessly handle the more likely of a AD/ND....

Edit:
Mike, sorry we never got to officially meet, hope the move is good for you and your family....

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
User, I plan on doing that very soon. If you have any recommendations please let me know.

Tess, my understanding of PAFOA is that they are primarily an internet resource without much hands-on grassroots activity. Is that inaccurate? If so, and they are on track with VCDL, then that makes me pretty happy.

Southernboy, we have met a couple of times but I never bought a holster. I don't own a Glock and I never will :D

Sorry for the confusion on my part. I do recall meeting you, however. Best of luck in your new location.

1911 Enthusiast

BigSD, if you're going to become a member of PAFOA, maybe you can give us a report of what finally came of the 'Dickson Dozen." Cops rounded up a dozen OCers a few years ago at a buffet after a MWAG call. Never did hear what happened but I seem to recall one of the guys was a prominent member of the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association.

Good luck over there. Was it a work related move?

Marco

Which part is inaccurate? Out of state carry permits that are recognized by PA fulfill the LTCF requirement, however in PA, without a permit, state law only exempts the unloaded transport of firearms in vehicles to and from certain places, like ranges, shops, gunsmiths, and residences.

You actually just reminded me about the special thing about vehicle carry in PA. A permit from any state, even if PA doesn't recognize it through reciprocity or other agreement, is valid for carrying in a vehicle.

You jumped right into needing a PA permit when any honored/valid permit will suffice... I'll stand down on the unloaded carry as I'm to lazy to look for a cite to see if you are correct.